Writing Complex Roots of Negative Numbers

In summary, a complex root of a number is a number that, when multiplied by itself, results in the original number and can be expressed in the form a + bi. They are different from real roots, which only involve real numbers and are expressed as a single number. To find complex roots, you can use the quadratic formula or a calculator. Complex roots are significant because they allow us to solve equations involving imaginary numbers and have real-world applications. A number can have multiple complex roots.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Let us suppose I have a number ##x## such that ##x<0##. If I want to write the roots of the ##x^{1/n}##. How can we write the roots of this number. I thought we can write

$$|x|^{1/n}e^{i\pi\theta}$$ for ##\theta = \frac{2l + 1}{n}## and ##l = 0,1,2## etc.

Is this correct ?

Similary If I wanted to write ##x^{m/n}##, I should I write

$$|x|^{m/n}e^{mi\pi\theta}$$ for ##\theta = \frac{2l + 1}{n}## ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check details, but your approach is correct.

Likes mfb

1. What is a complex root?

A complex root is a type of root that involves imaginary numbers. It is a solution to an equation of the form x^n = a, where n is a positive integer and a is a complex number.

2. How do you find the complex root of a number?

To find the complex root of a number, you can use the formula x = a^(1/n) * e^(i*2k*pi/n), where a is the number you are finding the root of, n is the degree of the root, and k is any integer. This formula is known as the nth root formula.

3. What is the difference between a real root and a complex root?

A real root is a solution to an equation that only involves real numbers, while a complex root involves imaginary numbers. Real roots can be represented on a number line, while complex roots are represented on a complex plane.

4. Can a complex root be a real number?

Yes, a complex root can be a real number if the imaginary part is equal to 0. In this case, the complex root is just the same as the real root.

5. What are the applications of complex roots?

Complex roots are used in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in solving differential equations, analyzing electrical circuits, and understanding wave phenomena.