How Do You Solve Simultaneous Equations for Time and Distance in a Car Journey?

In summary, the conversation involved a car journey of 200 miles with a duration of 4 hours, partially spent on the motorway traveling at 70mph and the remainder on country roads traveling at 40mph. Two equations were written, one in terms of time spent on each road and the other in terms of distance traveled on each road. Solving for the time spent on the motorway and country roads yielded values of 4/3 hours and 8/3 hours respectively. By substituting these values into the distance formula, the distances traveled on the motorway and country roads were found to be approximately 93.3 miles and 106.7 miles respectively. Additionally, an alternate method using a single variable was suggested and
AN630078
Homework Statement
Hello, I have been revising mechanics problems when I came across the question below. I do not know whether my approach would here be suitable and I typically struggle with these sorts of questions, not necessarily solving the simultaneous equations but formulating them to begin with. I have answered it fully but I would appreciate if anyone could comment upon whether my workings and methodology are applicable here. Also, the units given in the original question are miles, hours and mph, should I convert these to km or m and seconds or would this be unnecessary?

A car journey of 200 miles lasts 4 hours. It is partially spent on the motorway travelling at 70mph and the remainder on country roads travelling at 40mph.

Write this information as a pair of simultaneous equations and find the distances travelled on each road.
Relevant Equations
speed=distance/time
Equation 1:
Where t1=time spent on motorway
Where t2=time spent on country roads

t1+t2=4

Equation 2:
Using distance = speed * time
200 = 70*t1+40*t2

Rearrange equation 1 in terms of t1;
t1=4-t2
Substitute the rearranged form of equation 1 into equation 2:
200=70(4-t2)+40t2
200=280-70t2+40t2
200=280-30t2
Rearrange to find t2:
30t2=280-200
30t2=80
t2=80/30=8/3 hours (This is equation 3)
(Would units of hours be appropriate here?)

Substitute equation 3 into the original form of equation 1 to find t1:
t1+8/3=4
t1=4-8/3
t1=4/3 hours

Since I have now found t1 and t2 I can substitute this information to find the distance traveled on each of the roads;
distance=speed*time
distance on the motorway=70*4/3=280/3~93.3 miles to 3.s.f
distance on the country roads=70*8/3=320/3~106.7 miles to 3.s.f

Physics news on Phys.org
AN630078 said:
A car journey of 200 miles lasts 4 hours. It is partially spent on the motorway traveling at 70mph and the remainder on country roads traveling at 40mph.

Write this information as a pair of simultaneous equations and find the distances traveled on each road.

Equation 1:
Where t1=time spent on motorway
Where t2=time spent on country roads

t1+t2=4
Equation 2:
Using distance = speed * time
200 = 70*t1+40*t2
Rearrange equation 1 in terms of t1;
t1=4-t2
Substitute the rearranged form of equation 1 into equation 2:
200=70(4-t2)+40t2
200=280-70t2+40t2
200=280-30t2
Rearrange to find t2:
30t2=280-200
30t2=80
t2=80/30=8/3 hours (This is equation 3)
(Would units of hours be appropriate here?)

Substitute equation 3 into the original form of equation 1 to find t1:
t1+8/3=4
t1=4-8/3
t1=4/3 hours

Since I have now found t1 and t2 I can substitute this information to find the distance traveled on each of the roads;
distance=speed*time
distance on the motorway=70*4/3=280/3~93.3 miles to 3.s.f
distance on the country roads=70*8/3=320/3~106.7 miles to 3.s.f
Looks good.

Another way to do the problem is by the use of a single variable.
Let ##t_{70}## = the time spent traveling at 70 mph
Then ##4 - 4_{70}## = the time spent traveling at 40 mph
This is obtained from the fact that the two times add up to 4 hours.

The equation is ##70t_{70} + 4(4 - t_{70}) = 200##
Solving this equation produces the same values you got.

Last edited:
Likes AN630078
Mark44 said:
Looks good.

Another way to do the problem is by the use of a single variable.
Let ##t_{70}## = the time spent traveling at 70 mph
Then ##4 - 4_{70}## = the time spent traveling at 40 mph
This is obtained from the fact that the two times add up to 4 hours.

The equation is ##70t_{70} + 4(4 - t_{70}) = 200##
Solving this equation produces the same values you got.
Thank you very much for your reply and for your advice, I greatly appreciate it. I will certainly endevour to try your suggestion of using a single variable in future problems. 😁👍

Likes berkeman
Given that you are asked for distances, you could note that time is distance over speed and write equations in terms of the distances ##d_{40}## and ##d_{70}##:$$\begin{eqnarray*}
200&=&d_{40}+d_{70}\\
4&=&\frac{d_{40}}{40}+\frac{d_{70}}{70}
\end{eqnarray*}$$This just saves a bit of mucking around at the end.

AN630078 said:
I will certainly endevour to try your suggestion of using a single variable in future problems.
The problem asked you to write a pair of equations, which you did. I was just showing you an alternate way of doing things.

Also, in one of your solutions, you asked if you should include units. Yes, you should.

Mark44 said:
The problem asked you to write a pair of equations, which you did. I was just showing you an alternate way of doing things.

Also, in one of your solutions, you asked if you should include units. Yes, you should.
Ok splendid, thank you again for your help 😁

Likes berkeman

1. How do I determine the variables for a car journey?

The variables for a car journey will depend on the specific factors you want to include in your equations. Some common variables include distance, speed, time, and fuel efficiency.

2. How do I write an equation for distance?

The equation for distance is D = RT, where D represents distance, R represents rate (or speed), and T represents time. Make sure to use consistent units for each variable.

3. How do I account for multiple stops in my equations?

If you want to include multiple stops in your equations, you will need to break the journey into smaller segments and write separate equations for each segment. You can then combine these equations to get an overall equation for the entire journey.

4. How do I incorporate fuel efficiency into the equations?

To incorporate fuel efficiency, you can use the formula F = D/E, where F represents fuel consumption, D represents distance, and E represents fuel efficiency. This will give you the amount of fuel consumed for a given distance.

5. Can I use these equations to predict the arrival time?

Yes, you can use these equations to predict the arrival time by solving for T (time) in the equation D = RT. Keep in mind that this prediction may not be accurate if there are unexpected delays or changes in speed during the journey.