Wronskian and linear independence

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of linear independence and how it relates to differentiation and integration of functions. It is determined that if the derivatives of functions are linearly dependent, the functions themselves must be linearly dependent as well. However, the same cannot be said for integration as the inclusion of arbitrary constants can affect linear dependency.
dumbQuestion
Hello,

I understand that if we have three functions f, g, and h, they are linearly independent <=> the only c1, c2, and c3 that satisfy (c1)f+(c2)g+(c3)h=0 are c1=c2=c3=0.

In order to solve for these c1, c2, and c3, we want three equations in the three unknowns. To do this we can differentiate f, g, and h twice and construct the Wronskian. Since this is a square matrix, if the det(W =/= 0, then we know that this system is nonsingular, consistent, and the solution is unique. Furthermore, since its homogeneous we know that unique solution must be c1=c2=c3=0. So if this is the result, we know f,g, and h are linearly independent. But that also means that f', g' and h' are linearly independent, and f'', g'', and h'' are linearly independent, right?

I guess my confusion is, what if there are functions f,g, and h such that f, g, and h are linearly independent but say, f'', g'' and h'' are linearly dependent? Wouldn't this mean if we construct the Wronskian it will end up inconsistent even though f, h, and h are linearly independent? Is it even possible for that to happen?

Sorry if the question is confusing.

Physics news on Phys.org
dumbQuestion said:
I guess my confusion is, what if there are functions f,g, and h such that f, g, and h are linearly independent but say, f'', g'' and h'' are linearly dependent? Wouldn't this mean if we construct the Wronskian it will end up inconsistent even though f, h, and h are linearly independent? Is it even possible for that to happen?

The derivative of ##c_1 f + c_2 g + c_3 h## is just ## c_1 f' + c_2 g' + c_3 h'##, because the c's are constants.

So the functions are linearly dependent if and only if the derivatives are linearly dependent.

ok I want to make sure I understand. Is the reasoning something like this.

let's assume f' and g' are linearly dependent.

this means f' = (c)g' for some constant c

So then we can integrate both sides

∫f' = ∫(c)g'

∫f' = c∫g'

f = (c)g

Which means f and g have to be linearly dependent as well.

So pretty much if functions are differentiable and linearly dependent, their derivatives are linearly dependent also? And if functions are integrable and linearly dependent, their antiderivatives are linearly dependent also?

Well, this doesn't work for integration, because you forgot about the arbitrary constants and they might mess up the linear dependency.

But you have got the general idea about what's going on.

ok, thank you very much. this clears up the confusion I had!

What is the Wronskian?

The Wronskian is a mathematical concept that is used to determine the linear independence of a set of functions. It is denoted by W and is calculated by taking the determinant of a matrix containing the derivatives of the functions.

What is linear independence?

Linear independence is a property of a set of functions or vectors that indicates they are not dependent on each other. In other words, none of the functions or vectors in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the others.

How is the Wronskian used to determine linear independence?

The Wronskian is used to determine linear independence by checking if the determinant of the matrix containing the derivatives of the functions is equal to zero. If the determinant is not equal to zero, then the functions are linearly independent.

What is the relationship between the Wronskian and the general solution of a differential equation?

The Wronskian plays a crucial role in determining the general solution of a differential equation. If the Wronskian is non-zero for a set of functions, then the functions are linearly independent and can be used to form the general solution of a differential equation.

Can the Wronskian be used for any set of functions?

Yes, the Wronskian can be used for any set of functions, as long as the functions are differentiable. However, it is most commonly used for sets of functions that are solutions to a differential equation.