Why Do Sulfurous Compounds Show Different Peaks in X-ray Absorption Spectra?

feelice
Homework Statement
Interpretation of X-ray absorption spectra
Relevant Equations
none
Hey guys :)

actually my homework was just to research the absorption spectra of some iron compounds and some sulfurus compounds - to which I have the answer. I just dont understand it. In this arcticle, fig 2b: "Phase Composition of Iron Oxide Nanoparticles Studied Using Hard X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy" the needed FeO, hematite and magnetite are listet. It was explained to the course, that roughly the oxidation state is added to the shift of the Fe-K-absorption edge which fits, also that tetrahedral conformation will lead to a pre peak, which also fits.
Now we come to the sulfurous compounds. In this article, fig.3b: "In Situ Analysis of Sulfur Species in Sulfur Globules Produced from Thiosulfate by Thermoanaerobacter sulfurigignens and Thermoanaerobacterium thermosulfurigenes", the sodium thiosulfate is somehow not fitting in for me. Why does ist have two main peaks - if you say because on sulfur has the oxidation state -1 and the other plus 5, then why does magnetite only have on peak even though it has one iron in oxidation stat +2 and the other two in +3. Why do we split in thiosulfate?

It really bothers me and I would be very glad if someone could help me solve this puzzle.

Physics news on Phys.org
feelice said:
Homework Statement: Interpretation of X-ray absorption spectra
Relevant Equations: none

In this arcticle, fig 2b:

do you have links to the 2 articles you are reading, please

1. Why do sulfurous compounds show different peaks in X-ray absorption spectra?

Sulfurous compounds show different peaks in X-ray absorption spectra due to the unique electronic structure of sulfur atoms. The absorption of X-rays by sulfur atoms causes transitions between different energy levels, resulting in distinct peaks in the spectrum.

2. How does the chemical environment affect the peaks in X-ray absorption spectra of sulfurous compounds?

The chemical environment surrounding sulfur atoms can influence their electronic structure, leading to variations in the X-ray absorption spectra. Different chemical bonding and coordination environments can result in shifts or changes in the peak positions.

3. What role does the oxidation state of sulfur play in determining the peaks in X-ray absorption spectra?

The oxidation state of sulfur affects the electronic configuration of sulfur atoms, which in turn influences the X-ray absorption spectra. Different oxidation states can lead to variations in the energy levels and transitions, resulting in distinct peaks.

4. Are there any specific factors that contribute to the differences in peaks observed in X-ray absorption spectra of sulfurous compounds?

Several factors contribute to the differences in peaks observed in X-ray absorption spectra of sulfurous compounds, including the coordination geometry, ligand environment, and electronic structure of sulfur atoms. These factors can all influence the energy levels and transitions that produce the peaks.

5. How can X-ray absorption spectroscopy be used to study sulfurous compounds with different peaks?

X-ray absorption spectroscopy can provide valuable information about the electronic structure and bonding in sulfurous compounds with different peaks. By analyzing the X-ray absorption spectra, researchers can gain insights into the chemical and physical properties of these compounds, helping to understand their behavior and reactivity.

Back