X-ray crystallography; intensity peaks vary with voltage

In summary, the lattice constant for NaCl was found to be close to the accepted value, but closer for 20kV. However, there is a systematic error in the data that is not clear to the researcher.
ngc2024

Homework Statement

I have done a simple lab experiment to find the lattice constant for NaCl. Using a diffractometer, radioactive counts were measured as a function of crystal orientation angle for electron voltages of 20 and 30 kV. The average lattice constant found wasclose to the accepted value, but closer for 20kV.

The issue is that the graphs for the two voltage levels are very similar, but the characteristic peaks (Kα and Kβ) consistently occur at slightly smaller (about 0.5 - 1 degrees) for 20 kV than for 30kV. My understanding is that the peaks should theoretically be in the same position, and I am not able to suggest any likely reason for this apparent systematic error.

Homework Equations

Bragg's law
nλ = 2d sin Θ

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been trying to figure out if this is a known phenomena or just due to some experimental flaw such as crystal impurities. Several sources say the peaks should be in the same position (e.g. http://pd.chem.ucl.ac.uk/pdnn/inst1/xrays.htm), but I have also found claims for the opposite (e.g page 6 in https://books.google.no/books?id=i_...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false) .

Either way, I don't understand the underlying mechanism, and help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
ngc2024 said:
but I have also found claims for the opposite (e.g page 6 in https://books.google.no/books?id=i_...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false) .
The angle discussed there is the x-rax emission relative to the incoming electron beam, it has nothing to do with the refraction angle you measured.

I would expect some mechanical issue - the crystal tilted a bit, or some other parts of the setup moved a bit relative to each other. For an ideal setup the peak should be nearly* exactly at the same angle.
ngc2024 said:
radioactive counts
There is no radioactivity involved.

* a different background spectrum has a small influence on the precise peak position (unless you determine it with a fit to background and peak), but for narrow and large peaks this effect is negligible.

Okay, I see. Thanks!

1. What is X-ray crystallography?

X-ray crystallography is a technique used to determine the atomic and molecular structure of a crystal. It involves directing a beam of X-rays at the crystal and analyzing the diffraction patterns produced by the X-rays as they interact with the crystal's atoms.

2. How does the voltage affect the intensity peaks in X-ray crystallography?

The voltage used in X-ray crystallography affects the energy of the X-rays and thus, the penetration depth into the crystal. This can lead to changes in the diffraction patterns and the intensity peaks observed.

3. Why do intensity peaks vary with voltage in X-ray crystallography?

The variation in intensity peaks with voltage is due to the different energy levels of the X-rays, which can interact differently with the atoms in the crystal. This can result in changes in the diffraction patterns and the intensity of the peaks.

4. What factors can affect the intensity peaks in X-ray crystallography?

Aside from voltage, other factors that can affect the intensity peaks in X-ray crystallography include the crystal's composition, orientation, and the quality of the crystal sample.

5. How is X-ray crystallography used in scientific research?

X-ray crystallography is used in various fields of scientific research, such as chemistry, biology, and materials science. It is commonly used to determine the structure of proteins, small molecules, and crystals, providing valuable insights into their properties and functions.