Xenon Tetrafluoride hybridization

In summary, the hybridization of Xenon, an inert gas with a fully stable octet, occurs through the promotion of electrons from the 5s and 5p sublevels to the 5d sublevel. This results in a sp3d2 hybridization, with four spots available for Fluorine's electrons to fit into Xenon. The understanding of this process is still unclear and further research is needed for a complete understanding.
Ammar SH

Homework Statement

Hi I would like to understand how does the hybridization of an inert gas(fully stable octet)--Xenon happen?
Since hybridization happens to promote electrons to higher sublevels but xenon's sublevels are already full.
So how and why does the hybridization occur?

Homework Equations

Through my research on various websites I arrived at the conclusion that it is a
sp^3d^2 hybridization.
Although I still do not understand.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.uwplatt.edu/~sundin/114/plxef4.htm

Xenon's shorthand electron configuration:

[Kr] 4d10 5s2 5p6

I have hypothesized the following:

In order for hybridization of Xenon to occur two electrons from the 5p sublevel are promoted to the 5d sublevel and then 1 electron from the 5s sublevel is promoted to the 5p sublevel.

Therefore, the resulting electron configuration is:

[Kr] 5s 5p5 5d 2

Hence, there will be 4 spots in total for Fluorine's electrons to fit into Xenon.

Recall: my question is: Is my understanding(the understanding above) of Xenon's sp3d2 hybridization correct? is that what happens?

Thank you for your responses.

I am hypothesizing the following:
The electron from the

Physics news on Phys.org
5s sublevel is promoted to the 5p sublevel. Then two electrons from the 5p sublevel are promoted to the 5d sublevel. This results in a hybridization of sp3d2: [Kr] 5s 5p5 5d 2 Therefore, there will be four spots in total for Fluorine's electrons to fit into Xenon. Recall: my question is: Is my understanding(the understanding above) of Xenon's sp3d2 hybridization correct? is that what happens? Thank you for your responses.

1. What is the hybridization of Xenon Tetrafluoride?

The hybridization of Xenon Tetrafluoride is sp3d, which means that it has five hybrid orbitals. This hybridization is a result of the bonding between the central xenon atom and the four surrounding fluorine atoms.

2. How is the hybridization of Xenon Tetrafluoride determined?

The hybridization of Xenon Tetrafluoride is determined using the valence bond theory, which takes into account the number of valence electrons and the number of bonds formed by the central atom. In the case of Xenon Tetrafluoride, there are four bonds and two lone pairs, resulting in a hybridization of sp3d.

3. What is the molecular geometry of Xenon Tetrafluoride?

The molecular geometry of Xenon Tetrafluoride is square planar. This is because the central xenon atom has four bonding regions and two lone pairs, resulting in a geometry where the four bonding pairs and lone pairs are as far apart as possible.

4. What is the hybridization of the central atom in Xenon Tetrafluoride?

The central atom in Xenon Tetrafluoride is xenon, which has a hybridization of sp3d. This hybridization allows for the formation of four bonding pairs and two lone pairs, resulting in a stable molecule.

5. Is Xenon Tetrafluoride polar or nonpolar?

Xenon Tetrafluoride is a nonpolar molecule. This is because the four fluorine atoms are symmetrically arranged around the central xenon atom, resulting in a cancellation of dipole moments. Additionally, the lone pairs on the central atom do not contribute to the overall polarity of the molecule.