XPRIZE for Science-Fiction Stories

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
In summary, XPRIZE is hosting a competition for Science-Fiction stories set 20 years in the future. The winner will receive a $10,000 package including a trip to Japan. The story must fit within a frame story of a person on an airplane being transported to the future. The competition is open to anyone over 18 who submits a 2,000-4,000 word story and will be judged on their unique vision of the future, adherence to the story prompt, and alignment with a techno-optimistic view. The grand prize winner will be selected by members of the Science Fiction Advisory Council. The HemingwayApp.com website can be used to check writing for those attempting to write a story for the competition.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
XPRIZE has started a competition for Science-Fiction stories 20 years in the future. $10,000 package of stuff to the winner (including trip to Japan).

The story is to fit in a frame story of a person on a seat of an airplane that gets transported into the future.

"The competition, which begins today and runs through August 25, 2017, is open to anyone over the age of 18 from anywhere in the world who submits a short story between 2,000 – 4,000 words. The stories will be judged based on unique vision of the future, adherence to story prompt, and alignment with a techno-optimistic view of the future. XPRIZE will narrow the selection to three finalists and members of the Science Fiction Advisory Council will vote on the finalist pieces to select the grand prize winner."

Physics news on Phys.org
This is quite cool. My son told me about it yesterday.

If only I could write a cool sci-fi short story.

For those of you who might attempt such a feat there's the HemingwayApp.com website to check what you've written.

Wow! Just saw this. Normally, with themed contests I try to dredge up some trunk story that fits. But that'd never work here. Which means I'd have to actually write something new. Also, this stipulation always bugs me for some reason:
and alignment with a techno-optimistic view
Which I think means technology will have made the future way better than I suspect it's going to be making it, not that for 10G in prizes I wouldn't be averse to a little bullshitting...

What is the XPRIZE for Science-Fiction Stories?

The XPRIZE for Science-Fiction Stories is a competition that challenges writers to create innovative and thought-provoking science-fiction stories that explore current and future scientific advancements.

Who can participate in the XPRIZE for Science-Fiction Stories?

The XPRIZE for Science-Fiction Stories is open to writers of all ages and backgrounds. Anyone with a passion for science fiction and creative storytelling is encouraged to participate.

What are the judging criteria for the XPRIZE for Science-Fiction Stories?

The stories will be judged based on originality, scientific accuracy, and the ability to inspire and engage readers. The judges will also consider the overall quality of writing and storytelling.

What are the prizes for the XPRIZE for Science-Fiction Stories?

The XPRIZE for Science-Fiction Stories offers a cash prize of $10,000 for the winning story and $5,000 for the runner-up. The winners will also have their stories published in a science fiction anthology.

How can I submit my story for the XPRIZE for Science-Fiction Stories?

Submissions can be made online through the XPRIZE website. The submission period typically opens in January and closes in April. Be sure to read the guidelines and rules carefully before submitting your story.