Y-component of the force vector in turning flight

In summary: Thanks for the answer.In summary, the equilibrium condition for a turning flight is when the lift force acting on the plane is greater than the weight force. If the pilot tries to fly the plane in a different way, equilibrium will not be maintained and the plane will lose altitude.
Xorda
Hello,

I have a question:
Why is the y-component of the force at turning flight equal to the weight force?

Kurvenflug.png

Here, Fs is equal to Fg. But why?

I tried to explain it myself but I didn't get it

Science news on Phys.org
What happens to a body if there is a net force acting on it?

It will accelerate

Right. So what would happen to the plane if those vertical forces weren't equal and opposite?

Does the pilot have any means to control ##F_s##?

There would be a loss of altitude if Fs is lower than Fg and if Fs is greater than Fg the plane would gain height. I think I got it now XD

If the pilot controls the plane so that it is flying in a horizontal plane, it has to be.

Xorda said:
There would be a loss of altitude if Fs is lower than Fg and if Fs is greater than Fg the plane would gain height. I think I got it now XD
Right.

There's nothing in the model you've given that will let you determine that ##F_s=F_g##. We just note that the pilot can choose to do that, and we assert that she's doing it in order to have the plane conveniently flying level for this example.

Likes hutchphd and jbriggs444
Thanks for help :D

Likes Ibix
The term 'equilibrium seems not to have been used here, yet. If the plane's height is constant then it's in vertical equilibrium. @Xorda I think you were looking for an aerodynamic answer rather than a straight Mechanics approach.

sophiecentaur said:
The term 'equilibrium seems not to have been used here, yet. If the plane's height is constant then it's in vertical equilibrium. @Xorda I think you were looking for an aerodynamic answer rather than a straight Mechanics approach.
In which case, an answer would be that the magnitude of the required lift force ##F_a## during the turn exceeds the lift force ##F_s## which would be required for ordinary level flight.

In order to increase the lift force one can increase the angle of attack. But to maintain airspeed one will then need to throttle up. Otherwise, increased induced drag and parasitic drag will both reduce airspeed.

I am not a pilot, but my understanding is that one is trained to (counter-intuitively) use the throttle to control altitude and the stick to control air speed.

Likes sophiecentaur and Lnewqban
jbriggs444 said:
I am not a pilot, but my understanding is that one is trained to (counter-intuitively) use the throttle to control altitude and the stick to control air speed.
The diagram in the OP assumes that the pilot has done the right thing with the throttle. It doesn't tell the pilot what to do to achieve equilibrium because all planes are different. It's only a small part of the description of the whole situation.

1. What is the Y-component of the force vector in turning flight?

The Y-component of the force vector in turning flight refers to the vertical component of the force that is acting on an aircraft as it turns. This component is perpendicular to the horizontal plane and is responsible for keeping the aircraft in the air during a turn.

2. How is the Y-component of the force vector affected during a turn?

The Y-component of the force vector is affected by the bank angle and airspeed of the aircraft during a turn. As the bank angle increases, the Y-component of the force vector also increases, while a decrease in airspeed will result in a decrease in the Y-component of the force vector.

3. What is the significance of the Y-component of the force vector in turning flight?

The Y-component of the force vector is significant because it is responsible for maintaining the lift force on the aircraft during a turn. Without this force, the aircraft would not be able to maintain its altitude and would start to descend.

4. How does the Y-component of the force vector impact the overall flight dynamics?

The Y-component of the force vector plays a crucial role in the overall flight dynamics of an aircraft. It affects the bank angle, turn radius, and airspeed, which in turn, impact the stability and control of the aircraft during a turn.

5. How can the Y-component of the force vector be controlled during a turn?

The Y-component of the force vector can be controlled by adjusting the bank angle and airspeed of the aircraft. Pilots can also use control surfaces, such as ailerons, to manipulate the Y-component of the force vector and maintain the desired turn radius and altitude.