Yardsticks to Metric Tensor Fields

In summary, yardsticks and metric tensor fields are mathematical tools used to measure and describe the curvature and geometry of space. Yardsticks are one-dimensional lines that can be used to measure distances, while metric tensor fields are multidimensional structures that define the distances and angles between points in a space. Together, they allow for the precise measurement and calculation of spatial properties, which is crucial in fields such as physics and engineering. By understanding the concepts of yardsticks and metric tensor fields, we can gain a deeper understanding of the underlying structure of space.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
I asked myself why different scientists understand the same thing seemingly differently, especially the concept of a metric tensor. If we ask a topologist, a classical geometer, an algebraist, a differential geometer, and a physicist “What is a metric?” then we get five different answers. I mean it is all about distances, isn’t it? “Yes” is still the answer and all do actually mean the same thing. It is their perspective that is different. This article is supposed to explain how.
The image shows medieval standards of comparison at a church in Regensburg, Germany, Schuh (shoe), Elle (ulna), and Klafter.
360px-Regensburg_-_Altes_Rathaus_-_Masse_-_2016.jpg
Hans Koberger – own work, CC BY-SA 4.0,

Table of Contents...

Continue reading...

Attachments

• 360px-Regensburg_-_Altes_Rathaus_-_Masse_-_2016.jpg
    360px-Regensburg_-_Altes_Rathaus_-_Masse_-_2016.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 112
Likes Dale, Ibix, topsquark and 1 other person
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Reading through this slowly. Does a topologist really not care about the concept of angle? How do they define a "detour" or "in our direct way" without at least implicitly invoking the notion of an angle?

Ibix said:
Reading through this slowly.
Thank you.
Ibix said:
Does a topologist really not care about the concept of angle?
A metric in a metric space does not involve angles. E.g., the French railroad metric has no angles. At least I do not see any. Or the Manhattan ametric.
Ibix said:
How do they define a "detour" or "in our direct way" without at least implicitly invoking the notion of an angle?
Per triangle inequality.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
A metric in a metric space does not involve angles. E.g., the French railroad metric has no angles. At least I do not see any. Or the Manhatten metric.
Per triangle inequality.
Right... I'm coming at this from a SR/GR perspective and may be equipping my spaces with more structures (and possibly more specific structures) than I should be. So if I understand you, a topologist does something like consider all possible routes from A to B and declare the shortest one(s) to be the direct route. Or the other way around - defines a procedure for describing the shortest route and derives a metric that respects that?

Ibix said:
Right... I'm coming at this from a SR/GR perspective and may be equipping my spaces with more structures (and possibly more specific structures) than I should be. So if I understand you, a topologist does something like consider all possible routes from A to B and declare the shortest one(s) to be the direct route. Or the other way around - defines a procedure for describing the shortest route and derives a metric that respects that?
Yes, where "shortest" doesn't need to be Euclidean. You cannot shortcut routes in Manhattan through buildings, and you always have to run over Paris on French railroads.

Thanks. And the classical geometer gets a notion of angle because he's slapped a distributive and associative inner product on top of the topologist's minimalism? He's also made a specific choice of metric (Euclidean), but given the inner product I think all that does is distinguish him from someone who studies more general Riemannian spaces.

To me (from the viewpoint of Cayley-Klein geometries),
an angle is a measure of separation between lines meeting at a point
as
a distance is a measure of separation between points joined by a line.
In a sense, they are "dual" to each other from this [projective and algebraic] viewpoint.
So, one may have to identify a notion of duality in more general metrics.

Likes dsaun777
Ibix said:
Id say there are two main types of topology: Point set and Algebraic Point set eneralizes the properties of Euclidean Space to general Topological spaces. Algebraic Topology cosiders spaces, features up to continuous deformation, aka Homotopy, Isotopy (i.e., continuous deformations). But overall, I'd say, Topology is more about global properties : Compactness, Connectedness, etc , than local ones , such as angle, which are, I believe more geometric in nature. notice the 'metric' cognate in Geometry, derived from measurement. An angle may be defined for general matric spaces per Length Geometry / Metric Geometry. The book by BBI ( Burago, Burago Ivanov (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0821821296/?tag=pfamazon01-20) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0821821296/?tag=pfamazon01-20 ) describes such gehttps://www.amazon.com/Course-Metric-Geometry-Dmitri-Burago/dp/0821821296 ) Describes such generalizations to all metric spaces. Tere are too, so-called Length Spaces: Spaces containing allowable paths ( Such as the Manhattan Space, where you must use paths along a square grid), where you may generalize the concept of Geodesics, as the shortest ( per length function). There is a condition to determine such geodesics in Length Spaces. I can look it up if it interests you.

Another perspective: Ultimately, once you have an inner product <,> ( A map that assigns a Real number in [-1,1] ) to a pair of vectors in your space * ) in a vector space/ normed space, this also allows you to define an angle using:

##<a,b >=|| a|||| b||cos \theta ##,
where ||.|| is a norm.

It's been a few years since I've read this book. Please let me know if I was unclear or skipped something*notice this is the full range of the values of cosine.

<a,b>

Last edited:

1. What are yardsticks to metric tensor fields?

Yardsticks to metric tensor fields is a mathematical concept used in the field of differential geometry to measure distances and angles in curved spaces. It involves using a set of yardsticks, which are small rulers, to measure the curvature of a space at different points.

2. How is the concept of yardsticks to metric tensor fields applied in real-world situations?

This concept is applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to study and understand the behavior of objects in curved spaces. For example, it is used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime and in navigation systems to accurately measure distances on a curved surface like the Earth.

3. What is the relationship between yardsticks and metric tensor fields?

Yardsticks are used to measure the curvature of a space, which is then represented by a mathematical object called a metric tensor field. This field describes the distance and angle measurements at different points in the space and is essential in understanding the geometry of curved spaces.

4. How is the concept of yardsticks to metric tensor fields different from Euclidean geometry?

In Euclidean geometry, straight lines are the shortest distance between two points, and angles are measured using a protractor. However, in curved spaces, the shortest distance between two points is not a straight line, and angles are measured using yardsticks. This difference is due to the curvature of the space, which is described by the metric tensor field.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding yardsticks to metric tensor fields?

Understanding this concept is crucial in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It allows us to accurately measure distances and angles in curved spaces, which is essential in designing and predicting the behavior of objects in these spaces. Additionally, it has practical applications in fields like GPS technology, where accurate measurements on the curved surface of the Earth are necessary.