Chopping wood - torque question

In summary, the axe is wedged in the wood, and the hammer is used to apply a downward force. The torque is at the area of impact, and it gets bigger the further that point is from the CM.
kusiobache
So, I was just chopping the wood, and the way I do it is this : I get the axe wedged in the wood (duh), but instead of going all the way through like that, I get out a hammer and use it on the axe (which applies a downward force), and thus the wood is split. (I may draw a picture if this is hard to understand)

Now my question is this, it is torque because the hammer applies a downward force, which is perpindicular to the level arm (the axes handle). Thus, it is torque.

Torque is [tex]\tau[/tex]=r x F right?

Now, sometimes when i hit the axe w/ the hammer I hold the axe very close to where the hammer strikes (short lever arm), and other times I keep it far away (long lever arm).

Now, by the torque equation I should feel more force when my hands are further away (and I believe this is true because it is much harder to hold onto the axe).

However, my hands hurt more if I keep my hands closer to the area of impact. That is, my hands hurt more when there is a SHORT lever arm. I'm wondering why this is? If the force increases w/ the length of the level arm wouldn't my hands hurt more then?

I'm probably just forgetting a factor, but I'm not sure. If I had to guess, I would say that it is because when the lever arm is longer I can't quite hold onto the axe. If I let go earlier I the time over which the force is felt would be less and thus I would feel less force with the longer lever arm. Basically, just human error. I'm just wondering if my guess is correct?

EDIT: and I know that there are a ton of different reasons that this could possibly happen, I was just wondering if my guess is feasible? And maybe what other reasons there could be for it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the reason why your hand doesn't hurt as much when you are holding the axe far from the point of impact is because the shock of the hit gets dissipated along the length of the handle. However, when your hand is close, your hand absorbs most of the shock before it reaches the other end of the handle.

jokkon said:
I think the reason why your hand doesn't hurt as much when you are holding the axe far from the point of impact is because the shock of the hit gets dissipated along the length of the handle. However, when your hand is close, your hand absorbs most of the shock before it reaches the other end of the handle.

Yeah I had thought of that, but dismissed it initially. Now that I think about it again though, that's probably it.

I realized my problem. The torque is at the area of impact, and it gets bigger the further that point is from the CM. I forgot about the CM. I'm assuming my hand positioning affects the torque because I need to apply an upward force to keep the axe from being knocked out but that shouldn't make too much of a difference.

SO yeah, you're probably right about it just being the force dissipating. I feel quite dumb for dismissing that before :\

Are you using a felling ax for chopping wood? Like that of a Michigan or a Californian head? Or are you using a maul? You shouldn't have a problem splitting wood with a maul in one chop, but a felling ax would have that problem.

Also, have you tried, instead of hitting the back of your ax with a hammer, lifting the piece up with the head and cheek still inside the wood and dropping it back down? It saves a lot of effort while chopping wood if you get a knotty piece.

MotoH said:
Are you using a felling ax for chopping wood? Like that of a Michigan or a Californian head? Or are you using a maul? You shouldn't have a problem splitting wood with a maul in one chop, but a felling ax would have that problem.

Also, have you tried, instead of hitting the back of your ax with a hammer, lifting the piece up with the head and cheek still inside the wood and dropping it back down? It saves a lot of effort while chopping wood if you get a knotty piece.

Oh no, I'm not having any problem chopping the wood, I was just wondering about the physics behind it =)

and yeah, that's exactly what I do for the knotty pieces. It's pretty useful

Related to Chopping wood - torque question

1. What is torque and how does it relate to chopping wood?

Torque is a measure of the force applied to an object to cause it to rotate. In chopping wood, torque is the force applied to the axe to cause it to rotate and cut through the wood fibers.

2. How can I increase the torque when chopping wood?

There are a few ways to increase the torque when chopping wood. One way is to use a longer handle on the axe, which will give you more leverage and therefore more torque. You can also use a heavier axe or apply more force to the axe when swinging.

3. What is the ideal amount of torque needed to chop wood efficiently?

The ideal amount of torque needed to chop wood efficiently will vary depending on the size and type of wood, as well as the strength and technique of the person chopping. Generally, you want enough torque to cut through the wood fibers without overexerting yourself.

4. Can I use tools or techniques to reduce the amount of torque needed when chopping wood?

Yes, there are a few tools and techniques that can help reduce the amount of torque needed when chopping wood. One option is to use a splitting maul, which has a wider head and can split wood with less force. Another option is to use a wedge to help split the wood fibers before using the axe.

5. Is there a risk of injury when using high torque to chop wood?

Yes, there is a risk of injury when using high torque to chop wood. It is important to use proper form and technique, as well as protective gear such as gloves and eye protection. It is also important to take breaks and listen to your body to avoid overexertion and potential injuries.