Creating a Bicycle-Powered Woodcutter for Logs: Suggestions Needed

In summary, a group is working on a cost effective circular blade woodcutter saw powered by bicycle pedalling for rural areas with electricity problems. They plan to use a large diameter circular blade to cut random cross sections of logs. The suggestion is to calculate the power needed for cutting wood and compare it to the power output of a bicyclist. It is also noted that cutting logs by hand is possible, making the project feasible for manual paddling.
anonymoussome
I and few of my pals are making a project.

A circular blade woodcutter saw powered by bicycle pedalling for cost effective design for rural people where electricity is a problem...
We plan to cut Logs with it...and their cross section can be random...

Using a big circular blade.

Now how much large diameter blade is available and can be handled easily with manual paddling from an average man?

Please elaborate your suggestion.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
anonymoussome said:
I and few of my pals are making a project.

A circular blade woodcutter saw powered by bicycle pedalling for cost effective design for rural people where electricity is a problem...
We plan to cut Logs with it...and their cross section can be random...

Using a big circular blade.

Now how much large diameter blade is available and can be handled easily with manual paddling from an average man?

Please elaborate your suggestion.

What are your thoughts and calculations so far? Is this a school project?

I'd suggest that you start off by finding out how much power it takes to cut wood in a reasonable time (what horsepower rating do small chainsaws have?), and compare that to what a good bicyclist can put out for a few minutes at a time.

Although, I guess we can cut logs reasonably well by hand, so it shouldn't be too much different to do it with a bicycle drive...

Related to Creating a Bicycle-Powered Woodcutter for Logs: Suggestions Needed

1. How does a bicycle-powered woodcutter work?

The bicycle-powered woodcutter works by attaching a bicycle to a log splitter or saw, which is powered by the pedaling motion of the rider. As the rider pedals, the energy is transferred to the log cutter, allowing it to cut through logs or split them into smaller pieces.

2. What are the benefits of using a bicycle-powered woodcutter?

There are several benefits to using a bicycle-powered woodcutter. It is a sustainable and environmentally friendly option, as it does not require any fuel or electricity to operate. It is also a great form of exercise and can save money on labor costs for cutting or splitting logs.

3. What materials are needed to create a bicycle-powered woodcutter?

The materials needed may vary depending on the specific design, but typically, you will need a bicycle, a log splitter or saw, a frame to hold the bicycle in place, and various bolts, chains, and gears for connecting the bicycle to the woodcutting tool.

4. Can a bicycle-powered woodcutter be used for commercial purposes?

Yes, a bicycle-powered woodcutter can be used for commercial purposes, but it may not be suitable for heavy-duty or large-scale operations. It is best suited for smaller, personal use or for small-scale businesses.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a bicycle-powered woodcutter?

As with any machinery, there are potential safety concerns when using a bicycle-powered woodcutter. It is important to carefully read and follow all instructions for assembly and use, and always wear appropriate safety gear, such as gloves and eye protection. It is also recommended to have a designated spotter to assist with operation and to avoid any accidents.