Determining the Support Reactions acting on a frame

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the support reactions acting on a frame. The individual is unsure of how to apply static equilibrium about point "F" due to not knowing the distance from point "F" to any other point. They are seeking advice on whether their support reactions are set up correctly and are advised to analyze each member of the frame by applying Newton's 3rd Law.
JJones_86

Homework Statement

Determine the SUPPORT REACTIONS acting on the frame http://i34.tinypic.com/j94hoo.jpg"

You can see I have drawn the FBD, but I am lost on applying static equilibrium about point "F" because I don't know the distance from point "F" to any other point. In order for me to sum the moment about point "F" I'd need to know the distance from point "F" to ATLEAST point "B". So I'm not sure I have the support reactions set up correctly, any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In this type of rigid bodies, you need to dismember (dismantle), and analyze (FDB) each member of the frame by applying Newton's 3rd Law.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with determining the support reactions on the frame. It is important to first understand the concept of support reactions and how they are calculated.

Support reactions refer to the forces and moments that are exerted on a structure at its supports. These reactions are necessary to keep the structure in equilibrium, meaning that all forces and moments acting on the structure must balance out.

In order to determine the support reactions on the frame, you will need to apply the principles of static equilibrium. This means that the sum of all forces acting on the frame must equal zero, and the sum of all moments must also equal zero.

To begin, you can start by breaking down the frame into individual components such as beams and joints. Then, identify all the external forces acting on the frame, including any applied loads or reactions from other structures that the frame is connected to.

Next, you can draw a free body diagram of the frame, indicating all the forces and moments acting on each component. You can then apply the equations of static equilibrium to solve for the unknown support reactions.

In this particular case, it seems that you are having trouble determining the distance from point "F" to any other point. One way to approach this is to use the concept of moments. The moment of a force about a point is equal to the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force.

Therefore, you can choose any point on the frame (such as point "B") and calculate the moment of each force about that point. Then, you can set up an equation using the principle of moments, setting the sum of all moments equal to zero. This will allow you to solve for the unknown distance.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. It is important to carefully analyze and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. If you continue to have difficulties, I suggest seeking assistance from a tutor or professor. Best of luck with your homework.

Related to Determining the Support Reactions acting on a frame

1. How do you determine the support reactions on a frame?

To determine the support reactions on a frame, you need to first draw a free body diagram of the frame. Then, apply the equations of equilibrium to find the unknown support reactions. This involves setting the sum of the forces in the horizontal and vertical directions equal to zero, as well as taking moments about a point.

2. What is the purpose of determining support reactions on a frame?

Determining the support reactions on a frame is important for analyzing the stability and structural integrity of the frame. It helps to ensure that the frame can withstand the loads and forces it will be subjected to without collapsing or failing.

3. What are the different types of support reactions that can act on a frame?

The different types of support reactions that can act on a frame include: fixed supports, which prevent both translation and rotation; roller supports, which only prevent translation in one direction; and pin supports, which only prevent rotation.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a support reaction?

The magnitude of a support reaction can be calculated by using the equations of equilibrium mentioned earlier. This involves setting the sum of the forces in the horizontal and vertical directions equal to zero, as well as taking moments about a point. Once the unknown support reactions are found, their magnitudes can be determined.

5. What factors can affect the support reactions on a frame?

The support reactions on a frame can be affected by various factors such as the type of supports used, the magnitude and direction of applied loads, the geometry and material properties of the frame, and the presence of any hinges or connections. Changes in any of these factors can alter the support reactions and must be taken into consideration during analysis.