Physic: Help with solving roller support

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a roller support and how to solve it. The person asking for help has the answer but is unsure how to solve it and is seeking a detailed explanation. They also mention that the answer was provided in a review booklet without an explanation. Others in the conversation suggest splitting the loading into two parts and using statics to solve the problem.
hserse
Can someone help explain the idea behind solving this roller support question. I have the answer, couldn't figure how to solve it. I would greatly appreciate the detail explanation...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Truss Support.jpg
    Truss Support.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to show us your work in order for us to help you. Second, the figure is a bit low-resolution. Can you post a higher-resolution copy?

Berkeman,
That is main reason I'm posting this, I have the answer (750N), but I wanted how they come up with it. It's answer in one of the review booklet an EIT exam, which didn't provide explanation. Sorry about the low resolution, here's the another one.

Attachments

• Truss.JPG
    Truss.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 405
You should show some attempt at your work. You should consider splitting the loading into two pieces: a uniformly distributed load of 100N/m, and a triangularly distributed load varying from 0 to 100N/m. Determine the reactions for each case and superimpose the results.

Along the lines of what PhantomJay mentioned, you should break this down into two problems...The first has a distributed load of 100 N/m and the other has the varying distributed load. Take both distributed loads and convert them to a point load at the geometric center. Then you have a single load in each. Then it's statics as usual.

Related to Physic: Help with solving roller support

1. How do I calculate the reactions at a roller support?

To calculate the reactions at a roller support, you will need to use the equations of equilibrium. This involves setting the sum of the forces and moments equal to zero. From there, you can solve for the reactions at the roller support.

2. What is the difference between a roller support and a fixed support?

A roller support is a type of support that allows for rotation of the supported object, while a fixed support does not allow for any movement or rotation. Roller supports are usually used when there is a need for movement or rotation in a specific direction.

3. How do I determine the direction of the reaction at a roller support?

The direction of the reaction at a roller support can be determined by analyzing the forces acting on the supported object. If the object is in equilibrium, the reaction at the roller support will be in the opposite direction of the applied force.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for roller support reactions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving for roller support reactions include not considering all forces acting on the object, not using the correct sign conventions, and not properly setting up the equations of equilibrium. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and double check your calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can I use the equations of equilibrium to solve for roller support reactions on a non-static system?

No, the equations of equilibrium can only be used to solve for reactions on a static system, meaning that the object is not accelerating or moving. If the system is non-static, other equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion may need to be used to determine the reactions at a roller support.