Integrating with Trigonometric Identities: Are My Solutions Accurate?

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: I forgot about that. I like your method it is easier and quicker. Thanks !I have been asked to find the integral (i) sinx cox dx and the integral (ii) x sinx cosx dx using the identity sin2x = 2sinxcosxMy work...(i) sinx cox dx= 1/2 integral of 2 sinx cos dx= 1/2 integral of sin 2x dx= 1/2 cos 2x + C is this correct? Cute! Not the way I would have done but (except for the negative sign that TD mentioned) correct. What I would have done is this:
Natasha1
I have been asked to find the integral (i) sinx cox dx and the integral
(ii) x sinx cosx dx using the identity sin2x = 2sinxcosx

My work...

(i) sinx cox dx

= 1/2 integral of 2 sinx cos dx

= 1/2 integral of sin 2x dx

= 1/2 cos 2x + C is this correct?

(ii) x sinx cosx dx

not sure how to do this one ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Natasha1 said:
(i) sinx cox dx

Almost, you made one mistake: you forgot a minus.
(Be careful: for derivatives it's the other way arround)

Natasha1 said:
(ii) x sinx cosx dx

Have you seen integration by parts?

Natasha1 said:

My work...

(i) sinx cox dx

Cute! Not the way I would have done but (except for the negative sign that TD mentioned) correct. What I would have done is this: let u= sin x. Then du= cos x dx so [itex]\int sin x cos x dx= \int u du= \frac{1}{2}u^2+ C= \frac{1}{2} sin^2x+ C[/itex] .
Can you see that that is exactly the same as your answer (again, including the missing negative)?

(ii) x sinx cosx dx

As TD said, use integration by parts. Let u= x and dv= sin x cos xdx. (you already know what v is!)

HallsofIvy said:
Natasha1 said:

My work...

(i) sinx cox dx

Cute! Not the way I would have done but (except for the negative sign that TD mentioned) correct. What I would have done is this: let u= sin x. Then du= cos x dx so [itex]\int sin x cos x dx= \int u du= \frac{1}{2}u^2+ C= \frac{1}{2} sin^2x+ C[/itex] .
Can you see that that is exactly the same as your answer (again, including the missing negative)?

As TD said, use integration by parts. Let u= x and dv= sin x cos xdx. (you already know what v is!)

Lets see if I'm right... I am doing (ii) here

u = x, v = -1/2 cos2x, du=1, dv=sinxcosx

so integral u dv = -1/2 x cos2x - [-1/2 cos 2x]
= -1/2 x cos 2x + 1/2 cos 2x + c
= 1/2 [1- x cos 2x] + C is this correct please?

Natasha1 said:
Lets see if I'm right... I am doing (ii) here

u = x, v = -1/2 cos2x, du=1, dv=sinxcosx

so integral u dv = -1/2 x cos2x - [-1/2 cos 2x]
= -1/2 x cos 2x + 1/2 cos 2x + c
= 1/2 [1- x cos 2x] + C is this correct please?
Didn't you forget an integral when you applied integration by parts?
It is [itex]\int {udv = uv - } \int {vdu} [/itex] and you left out that last integral I believe...

TD said:
Didn't you forget an integral when you applied integration by parts?
It is [itex]\int {udv = uv - } \int {vdu} [/itex] and you left out that last integral I believe...

I don't think so no because from the previous example we get the integral of sin x cos x which I use at the end. So I think I am correct no ? :confused:

With v = -1/2 cos(2x) and du = dx, the formula gives a new integral at the end and not just "-1/2 cos(2x)". Applying integration by parts would give:

[tex]\int {x\sin x\cos xdx} = - \frac{1}{2}x\cos \left( {2x} \right) - \int { - \frac{1}{2}\cos \left( {2x} \right)dx} = - \frac{1}{2}x\cos \left( {2x} \right) + \frac{1}{2}\int {\cos \left( {2x} \right)dx}[/tex]

You forgot that last integral and just added "-1/2 cos(2x)", you see?

TD said:
With v = -1/2 cos(2x) and du = dx, the formula gives a new integral at the end and not just "-1/2 cos(2x)". Applying integration by parts would give:

[tex]\int {x\sin x\cos xdx} = - \frac{1}{2}x\cos \left( {2x} \right) - \int { - \frac{1}{2}\cos \left( {2x} \right)dx} = - \frac{1}{2}x\cos \left( {2x} \right) + \frac{1}{2}\int {\cos \left( {2x} \right)dx}[/tex]

must I have to do another integration by part on 1/2 integral of cos 2x

Well, you must do one more integration but the total process is called 'integration by parts' (which you only have to do once). Have you already covered this technique? Basically, it comes down to the formula I gave two posts back.

TD said:

from here I do:

u = 2x
du = 2

= 1/2 integral of cos u du
= 1 / 2 sin 2x + C

so the whole thing gives - 1/2 x cos 2x + 1/2 sin 2x + C is this correct?

Almost, there was already a factor 1/2 before the integral and because of your substitution, there should be another one so that would give 1/4 sin(2x) for that last part.

Then it should be correct, if you don't forget the constant of integration.
If you want to check it yourself: find its derivative and see if you get your initial function again :smile:

TD said:
Almost, there was already a factor 1/2 before the integral and because of your substitution, there should be another one so that would give 1/4 sin(2x) for that last part.

Then it should be correct, if you don't forget the constant of integration.
If you want to check it yourself: find its derivative and see if you get your initial function again :smile:

Thanks TD you are a star!

You're welcome :smile:

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. How do you know if an integral is correct?

To determine if an integral is correct, you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral should equal the original function. You can also check your work by using different methods of integration, such as substitution or integration by parts, and comparing the results.

3. What is the process for solving an integral?

The process for solving an integral involves finding an antiderivative of the function, then evaluating the antiderivative at the upper and lower limits of the interval and taking the difference between the two values. This is known as the definite integral. For indefinite integrals, you can find a general antiderivative by using integration techniques.

4. Are there any common mistakes when solving integrals?

Yes, there are some common mistakes when solving integrals. These include forgetting to add the constant of integration when finding the general antiderivative, making errors in the substitution process, and not properly evaluating the limits of integration. It is important to double-check your work and be aware of these common mistakes.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving integrals?

To improve your skills in solving integrals, practice is key. Work through a variety of problems using different techniques and check your answers. You can also seek out online resources or textbooks for additional practice problems and explanations. It can also be helpful to review the properties and rules of integration and familiarize yourself with common integrals and their solutions.