Derivative of a sinusoidal function

In summary, a sinusoidal function is a periodic mathematical function that represents a wave-like pattern. The derivative of a sinusoidal function is a function that shows the rate of change of the original function at any given point. To find the derivative, one can use different rules and identities. The significance of the derivative lies in its ability to help us understand the behavior of the original function. It can be negative, positive, or zero, indicating the function's decrease, increase, or stationary point, respectively.
Specter

Homework Statement

What is the derivative of ##f(x)=\frac {2x^2} {cos x}##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##F(x)=\frac {2x^2} {cos x}##

So...

##f(x)=2x^2## and ##f'(x)=4x##

##g(x)=cosx## and ##g'(x)=-sinx##

If I plug these into the quotient rule I thought that I would get the correct answer.

##F'(x)=\frac {f'(x)g(x)-f(x)g'(x)} {(g(x))^2}##

##=\frac {4x cosx -2x^2 (-sinx)} {cos^2x}##

The answer I'm given is supposed to be ##=\frac {4x cosx +2x^2 sinx} {cos^2x}##.

What is happening to make ##-2x^2## positive and ##-sinx## positive?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answers look the same to me. (-1)*(-1) is positive...

Likes DaveE and TachyonLord
Specter said:

Homework Statement

What is the derivative of ##f(x)=\frac {2x^2} {cos x}##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##F(x)=\frac {2x^2} {cos x}##

So...

##f(x)=2x^2## and ##f'(x)=4x##

##g(x)=cosx## and ##g'(x)=-sinx##

If I plug these into the quotient rule I thought that I would get the correct answer.

##F'(x)=\frac {f'(x)g(x)-f(x)g'(x)} {(g(x))^2}##

##=\frac {4x cosx -2x^2 (-sinx)} {cos^2x}##

The answer I'm given is supposed to be ##=\frac {4x cosx +2x^2 sinx} {cos^2x}##.

What is happening to make ##-2x^2## positive and ##-sinx## positive?

I assume you mean ##\cos x## rather than ##cos x,## and to get the first form, just put a "\" in front (so type "\cos x" instead of "cos x"). Same for sin, tan, etc---basically for all the standard functions.
Anyway, the quotient rule gives
$$ \left( \frac{2x^2}{\cos x} \right)'= \frac{(2x^2)'}{\cos x} - \frac{(2 x^2) (\cos x)'}{\cos^2 x},$$
which evaluates to
$$\frac{4x\: \cos x -2x^2 \: (-\sin x)}{\cos^2 x} = \text{given answer}$$ Use the fact that ##-(- \sin x) = + \sin x##.

Last edited:

1. What is a sinusoidal function?

A sinusoidal function is a mathematical function that represents a wave-like pattern. It is a type of periodic function that repeats itself over a specific interval.

2. What is the derivative of a sinusoidal function?

The derivative of a sinusoidal function is a mathematical function that represents the rate of change of the original sinusoidal function at any given point. It tells us how the function is changing at a particular point on the graph.

3. How do you find the derivative of a sinusoidal function?

To find the derivative of a sinusoidal function, you can use the power rule, product rule, or chain rule depending on the form of the function. You can also use trigonometric identities to simplify the function before finding the derivative.

4. What is the significance of the derivative of a sinusoidal function?

The derivative of a sinusoidal function is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of the original function. It helps us determine the maximum and minimum values, the intervals of increase and decrease, and the points of inflection.

5. Can the derivative of a sinusoidal function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a sinusoidal function can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point. If the derivative is positive, it means the function is increasing at that point. If the derivative is zero, it means the function has a stationary point.