Two different answers for the same integral?

In summary, the anti-derivative of ∫##\frac{sinx}{sin^2x+4cos^2x}## is given by ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}tan^{-1}(\frac{secx}{\sqrt{3}})+C##, and can also be written as ##-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}tan^{-1}(\sqrt{3}cosx)+C## using the relationship between ##tan^{-1}## and ##\tan^{-1}(1/x)##.
Hijaz Aslam

Homework Statement

The anti-derivative of ∫##\frac{sinx}{sin^2x+4cos^2x}## is ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}tan^{-1}((\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})g(x))+C## then ##g(x)## is equal to :

a. ##secx##
b. ##tanx##
c. ##sinx##
d. ##cosx##

Homework Equations

##d(cosx)=-sinx dx##

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the problem the following way:

[tex]\int \frac{sinx}{sin^2x+4cos^2x}\, dx=\int \frac{sinx}{1+3cos^2x}\, dx[/tex]
Let ##t=cosx##. Therefore##-dt=sinx dx##
Therefore [tex]I=\int \frac{-dt}{1+3t^2}=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}tan^{-1}(\sqrt{3}cosx)[/tex]

But my text gives the solution the following way:

[tex]\int \frac{sinx}{sin^2x+4cos^2x}\, dx=\int \frac{tanxsecx}{tan^2x+4}\, dx=\int \frac{tanxsecx}{sec^2x+3}\, dx[/tex]. Let ##t=secx##, therefore:

[tex]I=\int \frac{dt}{t^2+3}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}tan^{-1}(\frac{secx}{\sqrt{3}})[/tex]

So
My answer is : [tex]I_m=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}tan^{-1}(\sqrt{3}cosx)+C[/tex]
Answer in my textbook is: [tex]I_t=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}tan^{-1}(\frac{secx}{\sqrt{3}})+C[/tex]

And, I can't find any way to convert ##I_m## to ##I_t##.

Am I wrong somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
$$\tan^{-1}\left( \frac{1}{x} \right) = \left\{
\begin{array}{lr}
\frac{\pi}{2} - \tan^{-1}(x) : x>0\\
-\frac{\pi}{2} - \tan^{-1}(x) : x<0
\end{array}
\right.
$$

Likes Hijaz Aslam
Oh yes! That cleared it out. Thanks blue_leaf77.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve or the exact value of a quantity by adding up infinitely many small values.

2. Why would there be two different answers for the same integral?

There can be two different answers for the same integral if the function being integrated is not continuous or if the limits of integration are incorrect.

3. How can I determine which answer is correct?

To determine which answer is correct, you can check your work and make sure that the function is continuous and that the limits of integration are correct. You can also use different methods of integration, such as the substitution method or the integration by parts method, to check for consistency.

4. Can there be more than two different answers for the same integral?

Yes, there can be more than two different answers for the same integral if the function being integrated is particularly complex or if there are multiple possible ways to approach the integration problem.

5. How can I avoid getting two different answers for the same integral?

To avoid getting two different answers for the same integral, make sure to carefully check your work and use multiple methods of integration to check for consistency. It is also helpful to double check the limits of integration and make sure the function being integrated is continuous.