What safety precautions should residents take during snowmelt season?

• Thread starter D H
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation centers around the rarity of snow in certain areas, the desire for more snow, and the effects of climate change on weather patterns. Some participants share their experiences with snow and the challenges it can bring, while others express envy for those who have more snow and cold temperatures. The conversation also touches on the dangers of freezing rain and ice accumulation, and how this can impact daily life and events like Christmas parties and weddings.
D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
OMG, it's snowing out! My dogs do not know what to make of it.

We never (almost never) get snow in Houston.

Physics news on Phys.org
I want snow :(

If you can pay shipping, I well send you mine!

D H said:

My mom called to tell me it was snowing.

We're waiting for a severe winter storm. We are told to expect power outages.

turbo-1 said:
If you can pay shipping, I well send you mine!

I'm afraid it wouldn't last long here. Stupid mediterranean climate.

franznietzsche said:
I'm afraid it wouldn't last long here. Stupid mediterranean climate.
How much do you want?

marchhouse.jpg

Ha ha I also got a text message from Clear Lake about the snow. I thought Mom was pulling my leg!

D H said:

Houston can't handle snow. It snowed twice while I lived there, 20 years apart. If you could call it snow. It was a dusting, but the roads iced up making driving treacherous. The last time it snowed was around Christmas. I have pictures of my rose bushes in full bloom covered with snow. About 20 years ago.

turbo-1 said:
How much do you want?

marchhouse.jpg

Is all of it too much?

So far, less than this:
2wqeq9g.jpg
We built a snowman four years ago!
345lurs.jpg

D H said:
We built a snowman four years ago!
345lurs.jpg

That is the greatest snowman I have ever seen. Palm fronds for arms.

turbo-1 said:
How much do you want?

marchhouse.jpg

Hahaha, finally someone who has more snow than here!

DH, your snowman is hysterical.

turbo, if I can get to my old upstate NY snow pictures, I can better your snow. I lived in an area of Upstate NY that got lake effect snow, one year, roofs caving in from snow were on the news every night. You would hire people to get the snow off of your roof, even though they were at extreme angles already.

Evo said:
turbo, if I can get to my old upstate NY snow pictures, I can better your snow. I lived in an area of Upstate NY that got lake effect snow, one year, roofs caving in from snow were on the news every night. You would hire people to get the snow off of your roof, even though they were at extreme angles already.

I know where I want to move. I'm so sick of summer 9 months of the year.

More than the snow I need the cold. I used to live in Montréal some years ago and never left it for more than 2 years. That was before going where I am now. Here it snows once in a century and last time was 1 year ago.
The picture of SticksandStones reminds me good souvenirs, I better not watch these kind of pictures! I envy all of you that have snow and cold. (I mean by cold temperatures going below -15°C).

fluidistic said:
More than the snow I need the cold. I used to live in Montréal some years ago and never left it for more than 2 years. That was before going where I am now. Here it snows once in a century and last time was 1 year ago.
The picture of SticksandStones reminds me good souvenirs, I better not watch these kind of pictures! I envy all of you that have snow and cold. (I mean by cold temperatures going below -15°C).

I haven't seen a temperature below 5 centigrade in years.

Not a spot of snow here - even on the mountains.
Unemployed consultant, ski's waxed, season pass purchased - nothing!

We have a 70% chance of snow this weekend, and we reeeeeeally need it. The local and semi-local ski lifts still aren't operating.

Ivan Seeking said:
We have a 70% chance of snow this weekend, and we reeeeeeally need it. The local and semi-local ski lifts still aren't operating.

:cry:It's just not fair.

franznietzsche said:
I haven't seen a temperature below 5 centigrade in years.

Go the the local butcher and ask if you can sit in his freezer; just for old time's sake.

Evo said:
I have pictures of my rose bushes in full bloom covered with snow. About 20 years ago.

Single flower bud on my rose right now. Not snow dusted.

It is half of December. And some crackpots state there is no climate change :tongue2:

Lot's of snow where I used to live (South Germany).

Borek said:
Single flower bud on my rose right now. Not snow dusted.

Seen my roses flowering in January some 25 years ago. Some variants just continue until the first frost.

It is half of December. And some crackpots state there is no climate change :tongue2:

Right, climate changes every month, Oops make that weather.

Last edited:
0.19" of ice accumulated already here and it's moderately freezing rain currently. Not looking good.

We're supposed to get freezing rain overnight. I don't mind if it comes in the morning, because the only thing I have to look forward to is the angry mob of students who got their grades back yesterday (I have one more set of office hours in the morning for the few who really want to understand what they got wrong on the final, but I figured I'd get plenty showing up who didn't care to understand but just wanted to demand extra points to pass). I just hope it goes away by evening, because I have a Christmas party to go to. It seems to snow every year for this party, and the roads can be pretty awful getting home if it freezes (it's more downhill getting there and uphill back). Plus, I have about a 2 hour drive to a friend's wedding on Saturday, so it better be good weather by then!

Lots of sleet and freezing rain overnight for my area. Possibly up to an inch of ice accumulation. What joy!

fluidistic said:
More than the snow I need the cold. I used to live in Montréal some years ago and never left it for more than 2 years.

Reminds me of an old limerick:
There once was a man from Quebec
Who was buried in snow to his neck.
When they asked, "Are you friz?"
He replied, "Yes, I is,
But we don't call this cold in Quebec."

Yeah, the last time it snowed in the Houston area was Christmas Eve 2004. Heh. We were at a Joe's Crab Shack when it started to snow. It was pretty cool last night, too. I went outside and played in the snow. My hands kept getting numb because I didn't have any gloves on. lol.

You are all so lucky!
I wish it snowed here (Dublin). It gets really cold and rains a lot but never snows. :mad:

It snowed here in Tucson on top of the mountains. They were white a few days back. It is still cold here (in the 60s during the day and 30s at night) and rain is predicted for the city so the mountains should get more this weekend. It may be a good ski year! Bring it on!

Ed Aboud said:
You are all so lucky!
I wish it snowed here (Dublin). It gets really cold and rains a lot but never snows. :mad:
If the trend for freak snowstorms continues, you just might get snow. Last winter it snowed in Saudi Arabia.

wildman said:
It is still cold here (in the 60s during the day and 30s at night)

Cold? We keep it like that indoors. :rolleyes:

Danger said:
You call that cold? Here, we keep beer in the refrigerator to keep it from freezing. :tongue:

Danger said:

Really?

Borek said:
And some crackpots state there is no climate change :tongue2:

Rome is being washed away.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/8738/romebridgenz0.jpg http://www.reuters.com/article/world...4BB2J720081212

Last edited by a moderator:
I must ask, but what is this "snow" that you all speak of? I have never heard of such a thing!