What kind of sport/exercise do you do?

• Thread starter Sophia
  • Start date
In summary: Well, you know what they say about soccer. It's a gentleman's game played by hooligans. On the other hand, rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen."Joking of course. I like playing it too. Watching, not so much. Other than that I think running feels like flying and lifting weights lifts my spirit.In summary, I enjoy doing yoga, swimming, cycling, and rollerblading. I would like to learn to skateboard, but am not in very good shape yet. I walk everyday, which I think is a great exercise.
TheBlackAdder said:
9kg is a very heavy load. During my firefighter training period we had to run and do exercises with a full compressed air tank which ranged in weight from ~8 to max 18 kg depending on whether it was carbon or steel. Running with weights is hell and probably not so good for the joints to be honest. Still, kudos.
:)) Wow, that's a lot of weight. 18kg?! I don't think I can move normally with that. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Everyone could, the trick is letting the cylinder rest on your hips and not your shoulders. If your tank starts hanging from your shoulders you won't have a good time.

Currently I'm running 14-18 miles a week anywhere from a 6-8 mile/hour pace. I do weightlifting 5-6 times a week in 1 hour sessions. The weightlifting includes bodybuilding, power lifting(new to me, but it was a 55 year old man that taught me with the correct form it's quite safe), CrossFit, and all things hardcore cardio.

Likes Psinter and Sophia
czelaya said:
Currently I'm running 14-18 miles a week anywhere from a 6-8 mile/hour pace. I do weightlifting 5-6 times a week in 1 hour sessions. The weightlifting includes bodybuilding, power lifting(new to me, but it was a 55 year old man that taught me with the correct form it's quite safe), CrossFit, and all things hardcore cardio.
That's something! :))

I get out onto the judo mat once a week or so and try to keep up with the competitive kids. If you're not familiar with it, judo is like yoga... that you do to the other guy.:biggrin:

I've been running more lately too currently doing about 14 km with hills at a sub 6:00 min/km pace - which is huge for me. I've never been much of a runner, but my wife is.

I also fit in two strength-focussed workouts per week, either pure weights or P90X3.

Likes Psinter and CynicusRex
<h2>1. What is the best type of exercise for overall health and fitness?</h2><p>The best type of exercise for overall health and fitness is a combination of cardiovascular exercise, strength training, and flexibility training. This can include activities such as running, weightlifting, and yoga. It is important to have a well-rounded exercise routine that targets different areas of the body and improves overall physical fitness.</p><h2>2. Is it better to focus on one type of exercise or vary my workouts?</h2><p>It is generally recommended to vary your workouts and incorporate a mix of different types of exercise. This helps prevent boredom and overuse injuries, and also allows for a more well-rounded fitness routine. However, if you have a specific fitness goal or are training for a specific sport, it may be beneficial to focus on one type of exercise for a period of time.</p><h2>3. How often should I exercise?</h2><p>The American Heart Association recommends at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise per week for adults. This breaks down to about 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week. However, the frequency and duration of exercise can vary depending on individual fitness goals and abilities.</p><h2>4. Can I get enough exercise by just doing daily activities?</h2><p>While daily activities such as walking and household chores can contribute to overall physical activity, they may not be enough to meet recommended exercise guidelines. It is important to engage in intentional exercise that elevates heart rate and challenges the body in order to see significant health benefits.</p><h2>5. What are the benefits of strength training?</h2><p>Strength training has numerous benefits, including building muscle mass and strength, improving bone health, and increasing metabolism. It can also help prevent age-related muscle loss and reduce the risk of injury. It is important to incorporate strength training into your exercise routine, in addition to cardiovascular and flexibility exercises.</p>

1. What is the best type of exercise for overall health and fitness?

The best type of exercise for overall health and fitness is a combination of cardiovascular exercise, strength training, and flexibility training. This can include activities such as running, weightlifting, and yoga. It is important to have a well-rounded exercise routine that targets different areas of the body and improves overall physical fitness.

2. Is it better to focus on one type of exercise or vary my workouts?

It is generally recommended to vary your workouts and incorporate a mix of different types of exercise. This helps prevent boredom and overuse injuries, and also allows for a more well-rounded fitness routine. However, if you have a specific fitness goal or are training for a specific sport, it may be beneficial to focus on one type of exercise for a period of time.

3. How often should I exercise?

The American Heart Association recommends at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise per week for adults. This breaks down to about 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week. However, the frequency and duration of exercise can vary depending on individual fitness goals and abilities.

4. Can I get enough exercise by just doing daily activities?

While daily activities such as walking and household chores can contribute to overall physical activity, they may not be enough to meet recommended exercise guidelines. It is important to engage in intentional exercise that elevates heart rate and challenges the body in order to see significant health benefits.

5. What are the benefits of strength training?

Strength training has numerous benefits, including building muscle mass and strength, improving bone health, and increasing metabolism. It can also help prevent age-related muscle loss and reduce the risk of injury. It is important to incorporate strength training into your exercise routine, in addition to cardiovascular and flexibility exercises.