What kind of sport/exercise do you do?

• Thread starter Sophia
  • Start date
indeed walking is great and natural low-risk form of exercise.
:frown: But I like the risky ones. Sports in which the slightest error can send you straight to the box. Like skydiving.

I'm just kidding. I'm not a risk taker. :-p

And the ?!*@! macho teacher rode on his bike and shouted faster, faster!!! ?:)
True story .:DD
:oldlaugh: Then they shout at you: the pain is in your brain! The pain is in your brain! More power! Keep pushing through!

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Sophia
TheBlackAdder
Gold Member
:oldlaugh: Then they shout at you: the pain is in your brain! The pain is in your brain! More power! Keep pushing through!
Because it is :)

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...how-brain-training-could-smash-world-records/ (paywall)
Summary: https://healthymemory.wordpress.com...how-brain-training-could-smash-world-records/

Up until a certain point of course. Two weeks ago I planned to run 5km, but the weather was so nice I set off to run a marathon and kept running further and further from home to make sure I had no choice to keep running to get back. I thought the endurance was purely in the brain and doing a Forrest Gump wasn't so hard physically. Apparently, when your legs don't like what you are doing they just stop working. The last 4 km my legs barely moved and it looked like I was fast walking. I ended up at home after a half marathon. Only after stopping I felt the pain in my legs. Whoops.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Sophia
Up until a certain point of course. Two weeks ago I planned to run 5km, but the weather was so nice I set off to run a marathon and kept running further and further from home to make sure I had no choice to keep running to get back. I thought the endurance was purely in the brain and doing a Forrest Gump wasn't so hard physically. Apparently, when your legs don't like what you are doing they just stop working. The last 4 km my legs barely moved and it looked like I was fast walking. I ended up at home after a half marathon. Only after stopping I felt the pain in my legs. Whoops.
Hihi. That's a lot. Once I ran so much that when I got home I fell asleep in this position. Of course with my head looking down. :olduhh:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and TheBlackAdder
Hihi. That's a lot. Once I ran so much that when I got home I fell asleep in this position. Of course with my head looking down. :olduhh:
That must have been tough! How far did you run?

ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
so true! If I had to run 3 times from one goal to another I'd faint
Gah! :H I actually run around the soccer field 5 times (about a mile??) twice a week. It's during this time where I begin to feel as though I'm getting asthma :wideeyed:
Hihi. That's a lot. Once I ran so much that when I got home I fell asleep in this position. Of course with my head looking down.
Haha! I don't get sleepy after running--makes me more awake, actually, (of course, after lying down for some minutes on the grass to minimize the head throbbing). I just love to eat stuff like tangerines and strawberry lemonade afterwards, then all is well :wink::wink:

Likes Psinter
That must have been tough! How far did you run?
Not really, it has been worse at other occasions. It wasn't very far. Just 10 kilometers (a little more than 6 miles).

That is really nothing. The thing here was that I ran them with a little more than 20lb(9kg) garment over me and there were lots of slopes across the road. Plus I wasn't jogging, I was running as in running.

I know it's not a lot, but to me it was a lot given the circumstances of the extra garment load and the terrain. It destroyed me, so I fell asleep without realizing it. :confused:
Haha! I don't get sleepy after running--makes me more awake, actually, (of course, after lying down for some minutes on the grass to minimize the head throbbing). I just love to eat stuff like tangerines and strawberry lemonade afterwards, then all is well :wink::wink:
Yummy. :smile:

Not really, it has been worse at other occasions. It wasn't very far. Just 10 kilometers (a little more than 6 miles).

That is really nothing. The thing here was that I ran them with a little more than 20lb(9kg) garment over me and there were lots of slopes across the road. Plus I wasn't jogging, I was running as in running.

I know it's not a lot, but to me it was a lot given the circumstances of the extra garment load and the terrain.
That's a lot! You're my hero. Why did you do that?

I edited my post.
That's a lot! You're my hero. Why did you do that?
I really don't want to sound like Forrest Gump, but my answer to that question is: I don't know. :DD I just wanted to run. :confused: Maybe to test my limits? :confused:
:))
It's not really that much (for me yes with the load, but for other people that's nothing). Athletes do a whole lot more distance without breaking a sweat. I get amazed with them. :smile:

Likes Sophia and ProfuselyQuarky
TheBlackAdder
Gold Member
The thing here was that I ran them with a little more than 20lb(9kg) garment over me and there were lots of slopes across the road.
9kg is a very heavy load. During my firefighter training period we had to run and do exercises with a full compressed air tank which ranged in weight from ~8 to max 18 kg depending on whether it was carbon or steel. Running with weights is hell and probably not so good for the joints to be honest. Still, kudos.

9kg is a very heavy load. During my firefighter training period we had to run and do exercises with a full compressed air tank which ranged in weight from ~8 to max 18 kg depending on whether it was carbon or steel. Running with weights is hell and probably not so good for the joints to be honest. Still, kudos.
:)) Wow, that's a lot of weight. 18kg?! I don't think I can move normally with that. :confused:

TheBlackAdder
Gold Member
Everyone could, the trick is letting the cylinder rest on your hips and not your shoulders. If your tank starts hanging from your shoulders you won't have a good time.

Currently I'm running 14-18 miles a week anywhere from a 6-8 mile/hour pace. I do weightlifting 5-6 times a week in 1 hour sessions. The weightlifting includes bodybuilding, power lifting(new to me, but it was a 55 year old man that taught me with the correct form it's quite safe), CrossFit, and all things hardcore cardio.

Likes Psinter and Sophia
Currently I'm running 14-18 miles a week anywhere from a 6-8 mile/hour pace. I do weightlifting 5-6 times a week in 1 hour sessions. The weightlifting includes bodybuilding, power lifting(new to me, but it was a 55 year old man that taught me with the correct form it's quite safe), CrossFit, and all things hardcore cardio.
That's something! :))

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I get out onto the judo mat once a week or so and try to keep up with the competitive kids. If you're not familiar with it, judo is like yoga... that you do to the other guy.:biggrin:

I've been running more lately too currently doing about 14 km with hills at a sub 6:00 min/km pace - which is huge for me. I've never been much of a runner, but my wife is.

I also fit in two strength-focussed workouts per week, either pure weights or P90X3.

Likes Psinter and TheBlackAdder