What kind of sport/exercise do you do?

• Thread starter Sophia
  • Start date
In summary: Well, you know what they say about soccer. It's a gentleman's game played by hooligans. On the other hand, rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen."Joking of course. I like playing it too. Watching, not so much. Other than that I think running feels like flying and lifting weights lifts my spirit.In summary, I enjoy doing yoga, swimming, cycling, and rollerblading. I would like to learn to skateboard, but am not in very good shape yet. I walk everyday, which I think is a great exercise.
Sophia
With weekend and spring approaching, what kind of sport or exercise do you enjoy doing? No, I'm not asking what do you watch on TV :-D
I do yoga almost every day in the morning, at least 30 min. I usually go swimming once a week and enjoy long walks with my dog whenever the weather is nice.
This is not though exercise that would make me sweat but it's pleasant and relaxing.

Likes Psinter
Physics news on Phys.org
I really enjoy running. Wait let me qualify that. I really enjoy running outside, and I hate running on a treadmill.
Being in the frozen wastelands of Canada this presents a problem. So every spring I have to start from a new :)

Spin classes are fun as well. But I can't find any that work with my work schedule :(

Likes CynicusRex and ProfuselyQuarky
cpscdave said:
I really enjoy running.
Running is the most horrid, atrocious pass time ever (but I run, too, since it's good for me) :smile: Hiking is fun, though.

I also rollerblade and bike. Come summer, I decided that I'm finally going to make an effort to learn to skateboard well.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Running is the most horrid, atrocious pass time ever (but I run, too, since it's good for me) [emoji2] Hiking is fun, though.

I also rollerblade and bike. Come summer, I decided that I'm finally going to make an effort to learn to skateboard well.
That is some cool stuff! :-)

I like to run, I've also done martial arts most of my life. I used to play indoor soccer weekly, but not since I moved.

I'd like to try running, too. I'm planning to go to school playground during summer holidays and train there. That's the only area which is not uphill or in the public :-)

Strongman, weightlifting, swimming. My favorite exercise is the atlas stones, though I wish my back wasn't so sensitive.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
OrangeDog said:
Strongman, weightlifting, swimming. My favorite exercise is the atlas stones, though I wish my back wasn't so sensitive.
Buff! :biggrin:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I play 3 Soccer games a week
I would play soccer, too, if the field wasn't so huge. IMO, the goals should be closer together :woot:

My friends always tell me that I"m not in shape.
Which is a bold faced lie.
Last time I checked ROUND is a shape! ?:)

Likes Sophia, CynicusRex and ProfuselyQuarky
cpscdave said:
:DD

cpscdave said:
That made me laugh it seems like the sort of thing that would be on an image middle aged moms would share on Facebook!

Anyway, I'm fairly out of shape too, but believe it or not it's not so much laziness as it is just not having time. I'm really busy. When I do have time, though, I go for bike rides. Especially since the weather is so wicked this year (by which I mean pretty nice and chilly for April)

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Cycling for me. I have a cabin in NC, and there is an off road trail called Jack Rabbit Mountain. It's the most fun I've ever had on a bike. When I was in college, I used to ride about 200 miles/week (on the road). I still ride, light weights (too much tendonitis), sit ups, and walking/slow jogging keeps my 6 ft frame at 200 pounds. I'm 59.

Likes CynicusRex
I walk everyday. It adds up to at least an hour of walking everyday. A long time ago I read that this is the extent of the exercise those people in the remote Caucuses get who live to be past a hundred.

Likes CynicusRex
ProfuselyQuarky said:

I would play soccer, too, if the field wasn't so huge. IMO, the goals should be closer together :woot:
:oldlaugh:

ProfuselyQuarky said:

Yeah right I wish. Tell that to my philly cheese steaks and pizza I had for lunch.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
OrangeDog said:
Yeah right I wish. Tell that to my philly cheese steaks and pizza I had for lunch.
Like this?
burger.jpg

Greg Bernhardt said:
I play 3 Soccer games a week

"Well, you know what they say about soccer. It's a gentleman's game played by hooligans. On the other hand, rugby is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen."

Joking of course. I like playing it too. Watching, not so much. Other than that I think running feels like flying and lifting weights lifts my spirit.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
I play soccer 4 or 5 days a week now, I like playing as a right back. Before that I liked lifting three times a week.

ProfuselyQuarky said:

so true! If I had to run 3 times from one goal to another I'd faint :woot:
OMG I hated running at school. We didn't run all winter and when the first spring days came the teacher kicked us outside and decided we're going to run arround the village. And the ?!*@! macho teacher rode on his bike and shouted faster, faster! ?:)
True story .:DD

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Damn, I wish I had that teacher.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
zoobyshoe said:
I walk everyday. It adds up to at least an hour of walking everyday. A long time ago I read that this is the extent of the exercise those people in the remote Caucuses get who live to be past a hundred.
indeed walking is great and natural low-risk form of exercise.
Some benefits

TheBlackAdder said:
Damn, I wish I had that teacher.
You should have told me 10 years ago. I'd have sent him to you. And I would pay you for taking him :D

Sophia said:
indeed walking is great and natural low-risk form of exercise.
:frown: But I like the risky ones. Sports in which the slightest error can send you straight to the box. Like skydiving.

I'm just kidding. I'm not a risk taker. :-p

Sophia said:
And the ?!*@! macho teacher rode on his bike and shouted faster, faster! ?:)
True story .:DD
:oldlaugh: Then they shout at you: the pain is in your brain! The pain is in your brain! More power! Keep pushing through!

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Sophia
Psinter said:
:oldlaugh: Then they shout at you: the pain is in your brain! The pain is in your brain! More power! Keep pushing through!

Because it is :)

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...how-brain-training-could-smash-world-records/ (paywall)
Summary: https://healthymemory.wordpress.com...how-brain-training-could-smash-world-records/

Up until a certain point of course. Two weeks ago I planned to run 5km, but the weather was so nice I set off to run a marathon and kept running further and further from home to make sure I had no choice to keep running to get back. I thought the endurance was purely in the brain and doing a Forrest Gump wasn't so hard physically. Apparently, when your legs don't like what you are doing they just stop working. The last 4 km my legs barely moved and it looked like I was fast walking. I ended up at home after a half marathon. Only after stopping I felt the pain in my legs. Whoops.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Sophia
TheBlackAdder said:
Up until a certain point of course. Two weeks ago I planned to run 5km, but the weather was so nice I set off to run a marathon and kept running further and further from home to make sure I had no choice to keep running to get back. I thought the endurance was purely in the brain and doing a Forrest Gump wasn't so hard physically. Apparently, when your legs don't like what you are doing they just stop working. The last 4 km my legs barely moved and it looked like I was fast walking. I ended up at home after a half marathon. Only after stopping I felt the pain in my legs. Whoops.
Hihi. That's a lot. Once I ran so much that when I got home I fell asleep in this position. Of course with my head looking down. :olduhh:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and CynicusRex
Psinter said:
Hihi. That's a lot. Once I ran so much that when I got home I fell asleep in this position. Of course with my head looking down. :olduhh:
That must have been tough! How far did you run?

Sophia said:
so true! If I had to run 3 times from one goal to another I'd faint
Gah! :H I actually run around the soccer field 5 times (about a mile??) twice a week. It's during this time where I begin to feel as though I'm getting asthma :wideeyed:
Psinter said:
Hihi. That's a lot. Once I ran so much that when I got home I fell asleep in this position. Of course with my head looking down.
Haha! I don't get sleepy after running--makes me more awake, actually, (of course, after lying down for some minutes on the grass to minimize the head throbbing). I just love to eat stuff like tangerines and strawberry lemonade afterwards, then all is well :wink::wink:

Likes Psinter
Sophia said:
That must have been tough! How far did you run?
Not really, it has been worse at other occasions. It wasn't very far. Just 10 kilometers (a little more than 6 miles).

That is really nothing. The thing here was that I ran them with a little more than 20lb(9kg) garment over me and there were lots of slopes across the road. Plus I wasn't jogging, I was running as in running.

I know it's not a lot, but to me it was a lot given the circumstances of the extra garment load and the terrain. It destroyed me, so I fell asleep without realizing it. :confused:
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Haha! I don't get sleepy after running--makes me more awake, actually, (of course, after lying down for some minutes on the grass to minimize the head throbbing). I just love to eat stuff like tangerines and strawberry lemonade afterwards, then all is well :wink::wink:
Yummy. :smile:

Psinter said:
10 kilometers
:))

Psinter said:
Not really, it has been worse at other occasions. It wasn't very far. Just 10 kilometers (a little more than 6 miles).

That is really nothing. The thing here was that I ran them with a little more than 20lb(9kg) garment over me and there were lots of slopes across the road. Plus I wasn't jogging, I was running as in running.

I know it's not a lot, but to me it was a lot given the circumstances of the extra garment load and the terrain.

That's a lot! You're my hero. Why did you do that?

I edited my post.
Sophia said:
That's a lot! You're my hero. Why did you do that?
I really don't want to sound like Forrest Gump, but my answer to that question is: I don't know. :DD I just wanted to run. :confused: Maybe to test my limits? :confused:
ProfuselyQuarky said:
:))
It's not really that much (for me yes with the load, but for other people that's nothing). Athletes do a whole lot more distance without breaking a sweat. I get amazed with them. :smile:

Likes Sophia and ProfuselyQuarky
Psinter said:
The thing here was that I ran them with a little more than 20lb(9kg) garment over me and there were lots of slopes across the road.

9kg is a very heavy load. During my firefighter training period we had to run and do exercises with a full compressed air tank which ranged in weight from ~8 to max 18 kg depending on whether it was carbon or steel. Running with weights is hell and probably not so good for the joints to be honest. Still, kudos.

<h2>1. What is the best type of exercise for overall health and fitness?</h2><p>The best type of exercise for overall health and fitness is a combination of cardiovascular exercise, strength training, and flexibility training. This can include activities such as running, weightlifting, and yoga. It is important to have a well-rounded exercise routine that targets different areas of the body and improves overall physical fitness.</p><h2>2. Is it better to focus on one type of exercise or vary my workouts?</h2><p>It is generally recommended to vary your workouts and incorporate a mix of different types of exercise. This helps prevent boredom and overuse injuries, and also allows for a more well-rounded fitness routine. However, if you have a specific fitness goal or are training for a specific sport, it may be beneficial to focus on one type of exercise for a period of time.</p><h2>3. How often should I exercise?</h2><p>The American Heart Association recommends at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise per week for adults. This breaks down to about 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week. However, the frequency and duration of exercise can vary depending on individual fitness goals and abilities.</p><h2>4. Can I get enough exercise by just doing daily activities?</h2><p>While daily activities such as walking and household chores can contribute to overall physical activity, they may not be enough to meet recommended exercise guidelines. It is important to engage in intentional exercise that elevates heart rate and challenges the body in order to see significant health benefits.</p><h2>5. What are the benefits of strength training?</h2><p>Strength training has numerous benefits, including building muscle mass and strength, improving bone health, and increasing metabolism. It can also help prevent age-related muscle loss and reduce the risk of injury. It is important to incorporate strength training into your exercise routine, in addition to cardiovascular and flexibility exercises.</p>

1. What is the best type of exercise for overall health and fitness?

The best type of exercise for overall health and fitness is a combination of cardiovascular exercise, strength training, and flexibility training. This can include activities such as running, weightlifting, and yoga. It is important to have a well-rounded exercise routine that targets different areas of the body and improves overall physical fitness.

2. Is it better to focus on one type of exercise or vary my workouts?

It is generally recommended to vary your workouts and incorporate a mix of different types of exercise. This helps prevent boredom and overuse injuries, and also allows for a more well-rounded fitness routine. However, if you have a specific fitness goal or are training for a specific sport, it may be beneficial to focus on one type of exercise for a period of time.

3. How often should I exercise?

The American Heart Association recommends at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise per week for adults. This breaks down to about 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week. However, the frequency and duration of exercise can vary depending on individual fitness goals and abilities.

4. Can I get enough exercise by just doing daily activities?

While daily activities such as walking and household chores can contribute to overall physical activity, they may not be enough to meet recommended exercise guidelines. It is important to engage in intentional exercise that elevates heart rate and challenges the body in order to see significant health benefits.

5. What are the benefits of strength training?

Strength training has numerous benefits, including building muscle mass and strength, improving bone health, and increasing metabolism. It can also help prevent age-related muscle loss and reduce the risk of injury. It is important to incorporate strength training into your exercise routine, in addition to cardiovascular and flexibility exercises.