Double Slit Experiment With White Light

In summary, Richard asks about the fringe pattern of white light passing through a double slit, wondering if it would appear as a single beam that gradually gets darker or if there would be multiple fringes due to the different frequencies of light. The respondent provides a wikipedia link and a youtube video as resources, suggesting to focus on relevant information rather than reading the entire article. The final question is clarified with a diagram showing multiple fringes for white light.
richardstan
Hi,
I have a physics assignment which is asking me what the fringe pattern would look like if white light was passed through a double slit. Would it look like a single light which became gradually darker the further away it got from the central maximum?
Thanks in advance
Richard.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know what level of Physics you are working at. I have a wikipedia link which I will post below and a youtube video which might help. With the wikipedia extract, you might not need to read the whole thing but just pick out the bits that apply to your work, like I doubt you would need to know about Quantum versions of the experiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc"

Hope this helped you.

_Mayday_

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi, i don't think i gave enough information in my question.
What would the fringe separation look like for white light (multiple frequencies) compared for example to blue light (one frequency). Would it look like a single beam which was bright in the middle and less bright as you went away from the middle, or would there still be several fringes which were less apparent because of all the different frequencies of light constructing in different places?
Thanks in Advance
Richard.

Hope this explains everything
http://www.itp.uni-hannover.de/~zawischa/ITP/bildchen/spalt03.png

Sparkle2009 said:
Hope this explains everything
http://www.itp.uni-hannover.de/~zawischa/ITP/bildchen/spalt03.png

Yes it does . Thanks!

What is the double slit experiment with white light?

The double slit experiment with white light is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of white light through two parallel slits and observing the interference pattern created on a screen behind the slits.

How does the double slit experiment with white light work?

In the double slit experiment, white light is shined through two slits, creating two coherent light sources. These two sources interfere with each other, producing an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits. This pattern is caused by the different wavelengths of light bending and interfering with each other as they pass through the slits.

What is the significance of the double slit experiment with white light?

The double slit experiment is significant because it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of light. It shows that light can behave as both a wave and a particle, depending on the circumstances. This experiment also helped pave the way for quantum mechanics and our understanding of the fundamental nature of light.

What factors can affect the interference pattern in the double slit experiment with white light?

The interference pattern in the double slit experiment can be affected by the distance between the slits, the distance between the slits and the screen, and the wavelength of the light. It can also be affected by any obstructions or imperfections in the slits or the screen.

Can the double slit experiment with white light be performed with other types of light?

Yes, the double slit experiment can be performed with other types of light, such as laser light or monochromatic light. However, the interference pattern may look different depending on the type of light used, as each type of light has a different wavelength and therefore produces a different interference pattern.