How is this possible? (circuits)

• Thread starter kliker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary: In this particular problem, the 3 ohm resistor is in the middle and is not affecting the voltage or current on either side. Therefore, you can ignore it and focus on the two sides.1) Split the top into two 36 Volt sources2) Remove the three ohm resistor3) Compute the voltages in the (now seperate) dividers. It works out to 12 and 24 volts.4) Make a Thevenin equivalent for the center node. This means you now have a 12 volt generator in series with a (3||6=2) ohm resistor on the left, and on the right you have a 24 volt generator with a 2 ohm resistor on the right.
kliker

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7796/81673480.jpg
given this circuit find the total resistance of the circuit

Homework Equations

I = V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

ok I think that there are two ways of solving this, 1 by finding the total resistance directly from the resistors because some are in series some are in parallel

the other way is to find the total current and then the Rtot will be V/Itot

So, I found the I total using the online wolframalpha calculator which is

solve[{36 - 3y - 6(y+z)=0,36-6x-3(x-z)=0,-6x-3z+3y=0},{x,y,z}]

so
x = 24/7 ~~ 3.428571 and y = 36/7 ~~ 5.142857 and z = -12/7 ~~ -1.714286

x is I1 which flows over R1 y is I2 which flows over R4 and z is I3 which flows over R3

the answers are correct since my book has the same answers for the currents

so Itot = I1 + I2 = 3.428571+5.142857 = 8.571428 A

hence Rtot = 36*Itot = 4.2 Ω (which is the correct answer)

using the method with parallel and series I said that R5 and R3 are in parallel, hence, R35 = 2 Ω

R35 is in series with R4 hence R345 = 2 + 3 = 5 Ω

R345 is in parallel with R12 = 9 Ω

SO Rtot = 45 / 14 = 3.21428571

I can't understand why I am getting different results, can anyone help me? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you combine two parallel resistors, the equations assumes that the resistors are connected in parallel, which means the two resistors are a parallel path between two circuit nodes. R3 and R5 are connected to the same node at one end but not at the other end, so they are not in parallel. No two resistors in this circuit are truly in parallel, so you have to set up a system of equations with the various currents as the unknowns, which is what Wolfram Alpha did. Your second analysis is incorrect.

phyzguy said:
When you combine two parallel resistors, the equations assumes that the resistors are connected in parallel, which means the two resistors are a parallel path between two circuit nodes. R3 and R5 are connected to the same node at one end but not at the other end, so they are not in parallel. No two resistors in this circuit are truly in parallel, so you have to set up a system of equations with the various currents as the unknowns, which is what Wolfram Alpha did. Your second analysis is incorrect.

thanks for the answer, but could we assume that they are in series?

let's just leave the exercise if my prof gave me this circuit and told me find the resistance of each resistor, how would I do it using parallel and series theorems? thanks in advance

I don't know of a way to analyze a network like this with only series and parallel equations. Maybe someone else does.

Only series and parallel equations won't to work, since none of them are truly in series or parallel. Kirchhoff's laws are the way to go, I'm affraid.

YOU SHOULD NOT AND CANNOT USE Paralled and Series Laws because there another resistance in the iddle ! The oonly way to solve this is Kirchoff laws..Folow the Junction law and you'll get it !

No, there's an easy way, almost by inspection. I'm writing it up in a second post.

1) split the top into two 36 Volt sources
2) remove the three ohm resistor
3) compute the voltages in the (now seperate) dividers. It works out to 12 and 24 volts.
4) make a Thevenin equivalent for the center node. This means you now have a 12 volt generator in series with a (3||6=2) ohm resistor on the left, and on the right you have a 24 volt generator with a 2 ohm resistor on the right. You may now connect the center 3 ohm resistor back into the circuit. You have a 3 resistor divider with a 12 volt source on one side and a 24 volt source on the other. The resistors are 2 3 and 2 ohms in series.
5) the voltage on the left of the 3 ohm resistor is 12+(24-12)/(2+3+2)*2 = 24/7 + 12.
6) the voltage on the right of the 3 ohm resistor is 24-(24-12)/(2+3+2)*2 = 24 - 24/7.
7) you now have the voltages at the two nodes of the 3 ohm resistor in the original circuit. work out the current through the bottom two legs of the original circuit, a 3 ohm on the left and a 6 ohm on the right. Add them up, call it I.
8) 36/I = the resistance of the original circuit.

By insepction. (Except I'm bad at arithmetic. Use a calculator while you insepct.)

Edit: It comes out 4.2. If someone tells me how to post pics, I'll draw schematics of the transformations and equivalent circuits.

Last edited:
To solve this type of problem involves Y to delta transformations. See...

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_10/13.html

Once you convert the triangles into Y shapes it is easier.

1. How do circuits work?

Circuits are pathways that allow electricity to flow through various components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors. When a power source, such as a battery, is connected to a circuit, the electrons in the wires are pushed by the battery's energy and flow through the components, creating an electrical current.

2. What is the difference between an open and closed circuit?

An open circuit is one where the pathway is broken, and the current cannot flow through. This can be caused by a switch being turned off or a broken wire. In contrast, a closed circuit is one where the pathway is complete, and the current can flow through all the components.

3. How do resistors affect circuits?

Resistors are components that resist the flow of electricity, thus reducing the amount of current that passes through the circuit. They are often used to control the flow of electricity or to protect other components from getting damaged by too much current.

4. Why do circuits need capacitors?

Capacitors store electrical energy and release it when needed. They are often used to smooth out fluctuations in the current or to act as filters to block certain frequencies of electricity.

5. How are circuits used in everyday life?

Circuits are used in a wide range of devices and technologies that we use every day, such as smartphones, computers, televisions, and cars. They allow for the flow of electricity to power these devices and make them function properly.