How to find the initial velocity given only angle and distance traveled

In summary: Have a good one.In summary, the conversation involved solving for the magnitude of initial velocity of an object shot from a cannon at an angle of 33 degrees and landing 85 m away. The solution involved using the equation s=Vo^2/g*sin(2*theta) to find Vo, which was determined to be 27.586 m/s. The conversation also touched on finding the maximum height and the time it took from launch to land, which involved considering vertical motion and using kinematic equations such as v2=v02-2g(x-x0) and X=Xo+Vot+.5at^2. The final answers for these questions were 38.826 m and 2.815 s, respectively.
://Justice

Homework Statement

An object is shot (from a cannon) at an angle of 33 degrees and landed 85 m away. Calculate the magnitude of the initial velocity (Hint:Look at the x direction and solve for Vox)

Homework Equations

Other questions I must answer. If you have time, help with these would be great, however I think if I can just find the initial velocity I should be fine.
-Calculate the maximum height (***Actually, help with this one would really be nice!)
-Calculate the time it took from launch to land (Easy enough)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I looked a a few different things around the internet and this forum, and I found one thing, maybe...
So, I found the equation s=Vo^2/g*sin(2*theta). Using this equation, solving for Vo, I got 27.586 m/s. This seems like a reasonable enough answer, however I have absolutely no idea if it is correct.
I may have approached it completely wrong, I really don't know...

Thanks for the help! This is due tomorrow, and I really don't understand it.

Physics news on Phys.org
://Justice said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I looked a a few different things around the internet and this forum, and I found one thing, maybe...
So, I found the equation s=Vo^2/g*sin(2*theta). Using this equation, solving for Vo, I got 27.586 m/s. This seems like a reasonable enough answer, however I have absolutely no idea if it is correct.
I may have approached it completely wrong, I really don't know...

Thanks for the help! This is due tomorrow, and I really don't understand it.

Yes that formula is correct. The '85 m' is called the range, essentially how far it travels in the 'x' direction.

Range = v02sin2θ/g

To find the maximum height, answer this, at the highest point, what would be the vertical velocity? (rememeber, after this point, it starts to move downwards)

rock.freak667 said:
Yes that formula is correct. The '85 m' is called the range, essentially how far it travels in the 'x' direction.

Range = v02sin2θ/g

To find the maximum height, answer this, at the highest point, what would be the vertical velocity? (rememeber, after this point, it starts to move downwards)

Really, so 27.586 m/s would be correct, then, assuming I solved correctly for Vo? Great.

Yes, so the object is at it's maximum height when V=0. V is decelerating at 9.8 m/s due to gravity. Now, I know that the angle, 33 degrees, is somehow involved here, no? But then what would my equation be =/ Umm... sorry, I am having trouble wrapping my head around an equation to use.

Really, so 27.586 m/s would be correct, then, assuming I solved correctly for Vo? Great.

Yes, so the object is at it's maximum height when V=0. V is decelerating at 9.8 m/s due to gravity. Now, I know that the angle, 33 degrees, is somehow involved here, no? But then what would my equation be =/ Umm... sorry, I am having trouble wrapping my head around an equation to use.

Right so vertically final velocity is zero. We have the initial velocity as 27.586 m/s at an angle of 33°, so what is the vertical component of this velocity?

We have
1) Final velocity
2) Initial velocity
3)Acceleration
and we want to find 4) distance.

Do you know a kinematic equation (SUVAT equations) that has all these quantities?

rock.freak667 said:
Right so vertically final velocity is zero. We have the initial velocity as 27.586 m/s at an angle of 33°, so what is the vertical component of this velocity?

We have
1) Final velocity
2) Initial velocity
3)Acceleration
and we want to find 4) distance.

Do you know a kinematic equation (SUVAT equations) that has all these quantities?

V2=Vo2+2a(x-xo) ??

If V is 0, Vois 27.586, a is g, X is our unknown, and Xo is 0.

So, 0=27.5862+(2)(9.8)(X)
So, 27.5862 / (2)(9.8)= X
Correct?
Then, 38.826 would be the answer. I think I got it. Thanks :D

Yes, that would be correct. But your equation should be (for projectile motion)

v2=v02-2g(x-x0)

That will take care of the negative sign when you rearrange and solve for 'x'.

rock.freak667 said:
Yes, that would be correct. But your equation should be (for projectile motion)

v2=v02-2g(x-x0)

That will take care of the negative sign when you rearrange and solve for 'x'.

Ah, oops. Technicalities always seem to mess me up, haha. Thanks. This forum seems really cool. My physics teacher doesn't seem to know how to teach, so I'll probably be here a lot in the future, haha. Thanks again, you really saved me.

Hmm... do you think I could have help with that last question that was supposed to be easy enough, Calculate the time it took from launch to land? Sorry, but I am a bit stuck.
So, I would use the formula X=Xo+Vot+.5at^2, correct? But then, I get a bit confused...
-.5t^2=Vot-X
divide by t
-.5t=Vo-X
t=-2(Vo-X)
but that is incorrect, I think... SO I dunno... Help, please... Thank you

Oh, wait... Am I maybe just way over-analyzing this? Would it be as simple as Distance/Velocity? Therefore, V=30.197m/s (I made a mistake before. That is the correct V), and D=85m, so 85/30.197=2.815s. But that seems a bit short. The empirical data is 4s (we must find the percent error), that is quite a large percent error...

Last edited:
So, I would use the formula X=Xo+Vot+.5at^2, correct?

Right. We need to consider vertical motion to get this time.

If it starts at x0=0, then when it lands, the vertical displacement will be x=0. So put x=0 and solve for t.

rock.freak667 said:
Right. We need to consider vertical motion to get this time.

If it starts at x0=0, then when it lands, the vertical displacement will be x=0. So put x=0 and solve for t.

Yeah, I got it after a bit. Thanks for all the help. Sure I'll be back soon with more obvious physics questions, haha.

What is the formula for finding initial velocity when only given the angle and distance traveled?

The formula for finding initial velocity when only given the angle and distance traveled is v = √(d*g)/sin(2θ), where v is the initial velocity, d is the distance traveled, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle at which the object was launched.

Can the initial velocity be negative when using the formula with only angle and distance?

Yes, the initial velocity can be negative when using the formula with only angle and distance. This indicates that the object was launched in the opposite direction of the positive direction, and its velocity is decreasing over time.

What units should be used for the distance and angle when plugging them into the formula?

The distance should be in meters (m) and the angle should be in radians (rad) when plugging them into the formula. If the angle is given in degrees, it must be converted to radians by multiplying it by π/180.

Is the formula for finding initial velocity only applicable for objects launched at an angle?

No, the formula for finding initial velocity when only given the angle and distance traveled can also be used for objects launched horizontally. In this case, the angle would be 0 degrees and the formula would simplify to v = √(d*g).

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated initial velocity using this formula?

The accuracy of the calculated initial velocity using this formula can be affected by factors such as air resistance, friction, and human error in measuring the angle and distance traveled. In real-world scenarios, these factors may not be negligible and may need to be taken into account for a more accurate calculation.