Algebraic multiplicity of matrix

In summary, the conversation covers topics such as finding the algebraic multiplicity of a 3x3 matrix, determining the determinant of a 4x4 matrix, and understanding the definition of algebraic multiplicity in linear algebra. The conversation also includes a multiple choice question and clarification on the terminology used.
srinivasanlsn
hi friends please help in finding out the ans for this . A 3x3 matrix was given , am asked to find algebraic multiplicity of it ! how to find algebraic multiplicity of 3x3 matrix ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you mean the algebraic multiplicity of an eigenvalue??

Well, how did you define it??

the algebraic multiplicity of the matrix a=[ 0 1 0 ]
[ 0 0 1 ]
[ 1 -3 3 ]
a.1
b.2
c.3
d.4

i don get the question first, somebody help me...

my next question is how to find determinant of 4x4 matrix ??

the algebraic multiplicity of the matrix
[ 0 1 0 ]
[ 0 0 1 ]
[ 1 -3 3 ]

options :
a.1
b.2
c.3
d.4

i don get the question first, somebody help me...

Again, what is your definition of algebraic multiplicity?

First rearrange and the answer is obvious.

[1 -3 3]
[0 1 0]
[0 0 1]

From here the eigenvalues are obviously [1,1,1]. From here the question says what is the algebraic multiplicity. The question was obviously used for simplicity, so you know the multiplicity for the eigenvalue 1 is 3 since it appears in the diagonal 3 times.

Since it is the only one the answer can only be C.

We know what the algebraic multiplicity of an eigenvalue is.

The OP's question was about the algebraic multiplicity of a matrix, which is not a term that I have ever seen before (and neither has Google).

Maybe something got "lost in tanslation" here...

srinivasanlsn said:
my next question is how to find determinant of 4x4 matrix ??
To find the determinant of a 4x4 matrix, you could use the basic definition- but that's very difficult. Most people use "expansion by minors".
The determinant of
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cccc}a & b & c & d \\ e & f & g & h \\ i & j & k & l\\ m & n & o & p\end{array}\right|[/tex]
is given by
[tex]a\left|\begin{array}{ccc}f & g & h \\ j & k & l \\ n & o & p\end{array}\right|- b\left|\begin{array}{ccc}e & g & h \\ i & k & l \\ m & o & p\end{array}\right|+ c\left|\begin{array}{ccc}e & f & h \\ i & j & l\\ m & n & p\end{array}\right|- d\left|\begin{array}{ccc}e & f & g \\ i & j & k \\ n & o & p \end{array}\right|[/tex]

AlephZero & srinivasanlsn,

Remember this post shows that the person asking is answering a multiple choice question, as everyone is aware, which has a common instructor imposed complication written in, which is: as you mentioned a term which has no direct definition but instead must be understood only be really understanding the term multiplicity as it is used in Linear algebra.

The multiplicity of an eigenvalue λ of a linear transformation T as the number of independent associated eigenvectors. That is, as the dimension of the kernel of T-λ1V. etc, etc...

If the student knows this or something similar then the seemingly confusing terminology is made clear by using the terms interchangeably due to a nesting effect of definitions. Much like the use of dimension of the kernel above could be stated in a more confusing manner like using it to ask the question: what is the dimension of the kernel for A=...

Not preaching, as nearly all people answering questions knows this already, just telling the person asking to look through the questions by understanding the definitions better.

1. What is the algebraic multiplicity of a matrix?

The algebraic multiplicity of a matrix is the number of times a specific eigenvalue appears as a root of the characteristic polynomial of the matrix.

2. How is the algebraic multiplicity related to the geometric multiplicity of a matrix?

The algebraic multiplicity is always greater than or equal to the geometric multiplicity of a matrix. Geometric multiplicity refers to the number of linearly independent eigenvectors corresponding to an eigenvalue, while algebraic multiplicity refers to the power of that eigenvalue in the characteristic polynomial.

3. Can the algebraic multiplicity of a matrix be greater than its dimension?

No, the algebraic multiplicity of a matrix cannot be greater than its dimension. The algebraic multiplicity is always less than or equal to the dimension of the matrix.

4. How can the algebraic multiplicity of a matrix be determined?

The algebraic multiplicity can be determined by finding the eigenvalues of the matrix and then computing the power of each eigenvalue in the characteristic polynomial.

5. What does a zero algebraic multiplicity of a matrix signify?

A zero algebraic multiplicity of a matrix signifies that the matrix has no real or complex eigenvalues. This means that the characteristic polynomial has no real or complex roots, and therefore the matrix is non-diagonalizable.