How Can You Prove the Cross Product in Vector Mathematics?

In summary, the conversation was about the proof of the cross product in vector algebra. The first person had already proven the dot product and was now seeking a similar proof for the cross product. The other person suggested using the law of sines for a triangle to understand the cross product, but the first person was still looking for a mathematical proof. The concept of starting with different definitions was also discussed, and it was suggested to look into the distributivity of the cross product and calculating the cross products of unit basis vectors to understand the proof.
Calculuser
Hi, I was studying Maths the subject of Vector and found two important rule which are "dot" and "cross" product. I proved the first by myself with the ([itex]c^{2}[/itex]= [itex]a^{2}[/itex]+[itex]b^{2}[/itex]-2.[itex]\|a\|[/itex].[itex]\|b\|[/itex].cosθ) However, the I couldn't make out how to prove the other one. I've been so thoughtful about it and need help. Thanks..

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Just what exactly are you trying to prove? The formula for the cross product? Something else?

If it is the algebraic proof of the cross product you are looking for, then I'm sure you could google it and find it quite simply (maybe even on wikipeida), but know it's not nearly as a nice as the dot product's derivation.

Take two vectors a=(a1,a2,a3) and b=(b1,b2,b3).
So now a×b should be perpendicular to both b and a.
So then (a×b).b=0 and (a×b).a=0...

The last reply helped me little bit to visualize the proof but I could still not reach the exact proof of Cross Product. I just got [itex]0=a_{1}x_{1}+a_{2}x_{2}+a_{3}x_{3}[/itex] and [itex]0=b_{1}x_{1}+b_{2}x_{2}+b_{3}x_{3}[/itex] However, I don't know how to find [itex]x_{1},x_{2},x_{3}[/itex]. [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{A}\times[/itex][itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{B}[/itex][itex]=\stackrel{\rightarrow}{C}[/itex] or [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{B}\times[/itex][itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{A}[/itex][itex]=\stackrel{\rightarrow}{C}[/itex] ??

2 equations, 3 unknowns, so there are infinitely many solutions. Make your solution obey the right-hand rule ;O

I just need to find the mathematical proof, I mean the origin of this rule. I don't want the reproduction of this rule. I just want the exact proof.

I reiterate: what do you want to prove? The cross product is a definition. You can prove some property of the cross product, but you've yet to state what property you want to prove.

I meant if there is such a proof that we do for finding dot product with ([itex]c^{2}=a^{2}+b^{2}-2abcos\theta[/itex]) ??
I'm looking for that kind of stuff. I've been striving for so long time to find out how it might be proved in that way.

That's not a proof. A proof does not do what you seem to think it does. That is a formula that can be used to motivate a definition.

Regardless, I think you should be looking at some form of the law of sines for a triangle. Consider a triangle with sides ##a, b, c## and angles opposite those sides ##A, B, C##. The law of sines says that the area of this triangle is

$$A = \frac{1}{2} ab \sin C = \frac{1}{2} b c \sin A = \frac{1}{2} ca \sin B$$

Put this into vector form, and you should see the cross product staring you in the face.

Muphrid said:
That's not a proof. A proof does not do what you seem to think it does. That is a formula that can be used to motivate a definition.

Regardless, I think you should be looking at some form of the law of sines for a triangle. Consider a triangle with sides a,b,c and angles opposite those sides A,B,C. The law of sines says that the area of this triangle is

Okay, I got your point. But what you said just gives us the magnitude of the result of a vector calculated by cross product. It's not what I've wanted, thanks a lot though. I've been still working on it to find the proof I've wanted.

What do you understand the cross product to mean and why do you think that any such proof as you seek actually exists?

Of course you can prove the sine formula if you start with a different definition of the cross product.

However as with any proof it depends where you start from (ie what are your original definitions)

Last edited:
For proof of why you have to combine the vector components in such and such ways to get a vector perpendicular to both and of the prescribed magnitude, one method is showing that the cross product is distributive, see figure 8 on page 9 and the text below it:

http://www.math.oregonstate.edu/bridge/papers/dot+cross.pdf

Then the cross products of the unit basis vectors are calculated using the definition, after which you can just expand the cross product of two vectors and calculate the result, see for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_product#Computing_the_cross_product

1. What is the cross product?

The cross product, also known as the vector product, is a mathematical operation between two vectors in three-dimensional space that results in a third vector perpendicular to the first two.

2. How is the cross product calculated?

The cross product is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix formed by the two input vectors. The resulting vector is then equal to the coefficients of the determinant in the direction of the x, y, and z axes.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the cross product?

The geometric interpretation of the cross product is that it produces a vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors. This vector's magnitude is equal to the area of a parallelogram formed by the two input vectors, and its direction follows the right-hand rule.

4. What are some practical applications of the cross product?

The cross product has many applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some examples include calculating torque in rotational motion, finding the normal vector to a surface, and determining the direction of a force in a magnetic field.

5. What is the difference between the cross product and the dot product?

The cross product and the dot product are two different mathematical operations between vectors. The cross product produces a vector, while the dot product produces a scalar. The cross product is also only defined in three-dimensional space, while the dot product can be calculated in any number of dimensions.