Calculating Braking Force and Stopping Distance for an Automobile

In summary, a 1470 kg automobile with fully applied brakes decelerates at a rate of 7.5 m/s^2. The magnitude of the breaking force acting on the automobile is 11025N. If the initial speed is 90km/h (25 m/s), the stopping distance is 41.66 meters. The work done by the breaking force at 90km/h is -459301.5 J. The change in kinetic energy of the automobile is negative due to the work done by the breaking force.
Sneakatone
With the brakes fully applied , a 1470 kg automobile decelerates at the rate of 7.5 m/s^2.
a) what is the magnitude of the breaking force acting on the automobile?
1470 *7.5=11025N ( I think this is correct)

b)if the initial speed is 90km/h (25 m/s) what is the stopping distance?
im thinking 25/7.5=3.33s
3.33*25=83.25 m

c)what is the work done by the breaking force at 90km/h.
part a) *part b)=J

d) what is the change in kinetic energy of the automobile?
1/2mv^2

I believe I know how to do the proceeding parts but I need the previous values.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sneakatone said:
a) what is the magnitude of the breaking force acting on the automobile?
1470 *7.5=11025N ( I think this is correct)
OK.

b)if the initial speed is 90km/h (25 m/s) what is the stopping distance?
im thinking 25/7.5=3.33s
3.33*25=83.25 m
Careful: The speed is not constant.

(b) is incorrect. The distance formula is [itex] d = v_{i}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2} [/itex]. Note that acceleration is negative in this case, and see if you can go from there.

if I use d = vt + (1/2)at^2
d=(25)(3.33)+1/2(-7.5)(3.33)^2
d=41.66
did I use the correct acceleration?

Last edited:
my distance is correct but for part c when I multiplied 41.66 * 11025N= 459301.5 J it is wrong.

never mind the work is negative, Thanks for the help!

1. What is "braking force"?

"Braking force" is the amount of force required to slow down or stop a moving object. It is typically measured in units of newtons (N) or pounds-force (lbf).

2. How is braking force calculated?

Braking force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its deceleration rate. This can be represented by the equation F = m x a, where F is the braking force, m is the mass, and a is the deceleration rate.

3. What factors affect the amount of braking force needed?

The amount of braking force needed depends on several factors, including the mass of the object, the speed at which it is moving, and the friction between the object and the surface it is moving on.

4. How is braking force used in finding work?

In order to calculate the work done by braking force, the distance over which the object is brought to a stop must also be known. The work done by braking force can be calculated using the equation W = F x d, where W is the work, F is the braking force, and d is the distance over which the object is brought to a stop.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding work from braking force?

Understanding the concept of work done by braking force is important in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and transportation. It is used in designing and testing braking systems for vehicles, calculating the energy requirements for stopping machinery, and determining the force needed to stop a moving object in various scenarios.