Kinematics question - An automobile accelerating and braking

In summary, the question is asking for the acceleration of a car when it is both accelerating and braking, given certain distances and times. Part A requires using the equation x=x(not)+V(not x)*t+(1/2)*a*t^2 and the given values to find the acceleration while speeding up. The other parts of the question rely on this answer.
rhoadsy74
kinematics question -- An automobile accelerating and braking

Homework Statement

According to recent test data, an automobile travels 0.250 mi in 19.9 s, starting from rest. The same car, when braking from 60.0 mi/h on dry pavement, stops in 146 ft. Assume constant acceleration in each part of the motion, but not necessarily the same acceleration when slowing down as when speeding up.
A. Find the acceleration of the car when it is speeding up in ft/s^2.
B. Find the acceleration of the car when it is braking in ft/s^2.
C. If its acceleration is constant, how fast (in mi/h) should this car be traveling after 0.250 mi of acceleration?
D. The actual measured speed is 70.0 mi/h; what does this tell you about the motion?
E. How long does it take this car to stop while braking from 60.0 mi/h?

Homework Equations

x=x(not)+V(not x)*t+(1/2)*a*t^2
v=V(not x)+a*t

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck on part A here is what i did to come to an answer that was wrong:

v=26.8224 meters/second V(not x)=0 and t=19.9 seconds

26.8224=0+a*19.9

I found that a= 4.43 feet/second^2.

I feel that the other questions in this problem is relying on part A.

Physics news on Phys.org
rhoadsy74 said:
I am stuck on part A here is what i did to come to an answer that was wrong:

v=26.8224 meters/second V(not x)=0 and t=19.9 seconds

26.8224=0+a*19.9

I found that a= 4.43 feet/second^2.

I feel that the other questions in this problem is relying on part A.
For part A you need to use your first equation, since you are given x and t.

Make sure your distances are in feet and the time in seconds, then your acceleration will be in the correct units of ft/s^2.

Likes 1 person

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time taken for the change to occur.

How does an automobile accelerate?

An automobile accelerates when a force is applied to it in the direction of motion. This force can come from the engine, which provides power to the wheels, causing them to rotate and propel the car forward.

What is braking?

Braking is the process of slowing down or stopping a moving object. In the case of an automobile, braking is achieved by applying frictional forces between the brake pads and the wheels, which causes the car to slow down or stop.

How does an automobile brake?

An automobile brakes when the driver applies pressure to the brake pedal, which activates the brake pads and creates friction with the wheels. This friction converts the kinetic energy of the car into heat, slowing down the car's motion.