High School Student Recites 8,784 Digits of Pi

In summary, a high school student named Gaurav recited 8,784 digits of Pi, far surpassing the expected 40 digits. This was praised by others, but some found it disturbing and questioned its classification as a "mathematical feat." Others shared their own experiences with memorizing Pi and discussed different methods for doing so. One person even shared a rhyme for remembering the first few digits of Pi. Overall, the conversation delved into the topic of memorizing Pi and its various implications.
russ_watters
Mentor
This is disturbing on so many levels:
A high school student Tuesday recited 8,784 digits of Pi...

Gaurav began memorizing Pi while a student in Gooding's class. Gooding holds the competition every year, and said she expected students to learn about 40 digits. Gaurav recited nearly 2,990 the first time.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2006-03-16-pi-recitation_x.htm

Mathematics news on Phys.org
From above article said:
But his mathematical feat won the praise of others
I did not know that memorizing something was considered a "mathematical" feat.

I have to agree with you russ, that is quite disturbing.

Only 8000! there was a guy on science channel who did 22,000. Now THAT is disturbing.

And people think I'm nerdy because I know 50...

10,000? This has to be the funniest thing I read all week

3.14159 that's from the top of my head heh,

But I don't see how that's considered a "mathematical feat"?

But still, the kid has good memory he better utilize it for something useful.

mattmns said:
I did not know that memorizing something was considered a "mathematical" feat.

I have to agree with you russ, that is quite disturbing.

That depends on what compression method you use to encode the data your memorising. Some of the best techniques for memorising pi (if i remember correctly) involve a series of pseudo formulae (they only hold for a certain finite number of digits) that generate x digits of pi.

Your then only holding the number of decimal places your at and the formula your using in memory, and speaking out the next digit in your loop ( assuming the person listening only wants them one at a time ).

Using one of these formula you could iterate through, then switch to another...thats pretty mathematical imo.

Im not that keen on memorising pi myself :P

Last edited:
Can't help thinking these people need to get out a little bit more, or at least do something more constructive with their abilities.

"May I have a large container of coffee?"

Counting letters in each word: 3.1416926

That's my "compression code"!

I once memorized 600 digits.

I haven't recieted them in about two years, though, so I can only pull about 30 off the top of my head. It gets boring after a while...

Pi is exactly three!

...plus an arbitrary constant ;)

Pi... 3.1415927

I remember it off of simpsons.

Now i realize those jerks rounded!

How I want a drink, alcoholic of course, after dry lofty lectures outlining quantum mechanics.

Now, I, even I, would celebrate (3.14159)
In rhymes inept, the great (26535)
immortal Syracusan, rivaled nevermore (8979)
Who in his wondrous lore, passed on before (32384626)
Left men his guidance how to circles mensurate. (4338327)

--A.C. Orr

This and some other pi stuff (and other cool stuff, too) can be found in 777 Mathematical Conversation Starters, by John dePillis. It only has the first 500 digits of pi listed in that book, though.

Now, If I could just memorize that rhyme!

Nimz said:
This and some other pi stuff (and other cool stuff, too) can be found in 777 Mathematical Conversation Starters, by John dePillis. It only has the first 500 digits of pi listed in that book, though.

That looks like a very interesting read. I was just checking it out on Amazon and it gets glowing reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0883855402/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the significance of a high school student reciting 8,784 digits of Pi?

The significance of a high school student reciting 8,784 digits of Pi is that it showcases their exceptional memory and dedication to learning. It also demonstrates their ability to understand and memorize complex mathematical concepts.

How long would it take to recite 8,784 digits of Pi?

Assuming a recitation rate of one digit per second, it would take approximately 2 hours and 26 minutes to recite 8,784 digits of Pi.

What is the current record for reciting the most digits of Pi?

The current record for reciting the most digits of Pi is held by Rajveer Meena, who recited 70,000 digits of Pi in 2015.

How do individuals memorize such a large number of digits?

There are various techniques that individuals use to memorize large numbers of digits. Some may use mnemonic devices or visualization techniques to associate each digit with a unique image or story. Others may break the number into smaller chunks and memorize them separately.

Is it important to know Pi to such a high degree of precision?

While it may not have practical applications for everyday life, knowing Pi to a high degree of precision is a remarkable accomplishment and can be useful in certain fields such as mathematics, engineering, and physics. It also demonstrates a strong understanding of the concept of Pi and its significance in geometry and other mathematical calculations.