Nature's past experiment on global warming?

In summary, the defense attorney argued for the preservation of an old-growth tropical rain forest and a coral reef from tumultuous destruction by development, but believes that the destruction of marine biomes/marine life zones would be more detrimental.
Soaring Crane
Suppose I am a defense attorney--I am NOT--arguing for an underdeveloped old-growth tropical rain forest and a coral reef from tumultuous destruction by development.

If I could only save ONE, it would be the coral reef. (My instructor said something along the lines of: "The destruction of our marine aquatic zones is much more diasterious than the obliteration of our rain forests. . ." Of course, either scenario is very __________insert devastatingly negative adj. here__________ for the planet.)

My question is:

Why would the destruction of marine biomes/marine life zones be more detrimental?

Thanks for any replies.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9005&stc=1&d=1170188368

snip>

The Amazon now appears to be entering its second successive year of drought, raising the possibility it could start dying next year. The immense forest contains 90 billion tons of carbon, enough in itself to increase the rate of global warming by 50 per cent.

Nepstead expects "mega-fires" rapidly to sweep across the drying jungle. With the trees gone, the soil will bake in the sun and the rainforest could become desert.

Deborah Clark from the University of Missouri, one of the world's top forest ecologists, says research shows "the lock has broken" on the Amazon ecosystem and the Amazon is "headed in a terrible direction".

snip>

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10392615

I thought Bill Gates already saved the rain forest. There must be a bug or something.

Attachments

• 24Amazon.jpg
    24Amazon.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 578
An experiment of nature on the effect of intense global warming has already occurred in the Eocene 38-55 million yrs. ago; the so-called Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM).(1,4) There were no massive extinctions comparative to that of the Cretaceous-Tertiary (K-T) period defining the Mezozoic/Cenazocic eras at 65Myrs. At the Paleocene-Eocene divide, paleo-stratigraphic results show that there was deep water benthic foraminifera mass extinction associated with the increased temperature and hence dysoxic (less oxygenated) waters.(1) But most marine and terrestrial extinctions occurred with cooling at the end of the Eocene, and into the Oligocene epoch.(1) The consequences of the present warming are unknown in regards to extinctions. However nature already has conducted one experiment in regards to intense global warming, with seemingly not overwhelming catastrophic results.

An alternative question for the future and for our cognition/imagination might be as follows: From current habit destruction and hence species extinction, for say 100k years duration; would this be significant enough to leave a paleo-stratigraphic signature say 3 million years hence? The PETM might be considered herein as maximizing for over approximately 3 Myrs. So for shallow geological time, might the current extinction times we are inducing be more likely to leave a signature (if any?) due more to habit destruction (and ocean degrading environment?) than to any long term geological stratigraphic consequences from global warming?

1. Hallam Tony, Catastrophes and Lesser Calamities Oxford Univ Press, 2004, and references therein.

2. Raup David M., Extinction: Bad Genes or bad Luck?, W.W. Norton, 1991, and references therein.

3. Stanley Steven M., Extinction, Scientific American Books, 1987, and references therein.

4.Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum. Wikipedia.

some look at things and ask why,
while others dream of things that never were,
and ask why not.
George Barnard Shaw

I've been asked to set up a table at a High school for Earth day. I want to do something physics related, but I'm drawing a blank. I have access to all sorts of lab equipment. Any ideas?

I think I might try the greenhouse effect with some 2L bottles, dry ice, and temperature probes. This is an outside event.

Any suggestions? I doubt I'll have power, but I have battery powered probeware. I don't really want to make a sign or anything. I want to do some demonstration with standard equipment found in an educational science lab.

As a scientist, it is important to consider the facts and data when evaluating the impacts of global warming on different ecosystems. While both old-growth tropical rainforests and coral reefs are crucial to the health of our planet, the destruction of marine biomes and marine life zones can have a more severe and immediate impact.

Firstly, marine ecosystems are incredibly biodiverse and support a wide range of species, many of which are still undiscovered. The loss of these species can have cascading effects on the entire ecosystem, leading to a collapse of the food chain and loss of important ecological functions.

Additionally, coral reefs are not only home to a diverse array of marine life, but they also provide important services to humans such as protecting coastlines from erosion and storm damage, and supporting local economies through tourism and fishing. The loss of coral reefs would not only have a devastating impact on marine life but also on the livelihoods of many people.

Furthermore, the destruction of marine biomes also has a direct impact on the Earth's climate. Oceans play a crucial role in regulating the Earth's temperature through the absorption and storage of carbon dioxide. The destruction of marine ecosystems can disrupt this process and contribute to further global warming.

In contrast, while old-growth tropical rainforests are also incredibly important for biodiversity and carbon storage, the impacts of their destruction may not be as immediate or direct as the destruction of marine biomes. However, this does not diminish the importance of protecting rainforests as they play a critical role in maintaining the Earth's climate and supporting a variety of species.

In conclusion, both old-growth tropical rainforests and coral reefs are vital for the health of our planet and should be protected. However, the destruction of marine biomes and marine life zones can have more immediate and severe consequences, making it crucial to prioritize their protection in the face of global warming.

1. What is global warming and how is it caused?

Global warming refers to the gradual increase in the Earth's average temperature, primarily caused by the release of greenhouse gases from human activities such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation.

2. How do we know that global warming is happening?

Scientists have collected data from various sources, including satellite observations, weather stations, and ice cores, which all show a consistent pattern of increasing temperatures over the past century.

3. What are the potential consequences of global warming?

The consequences of global warming include rising sea levels, more frequent and severe natural disasters, extreme weather events, and disruptions to ecosystems and biodiversity. It can also have significant impacts on human health, food security, and economic stability.

4. Can we reverse the effects of global warming?

While it is not possible to reverse the effects of global warming entirely, we can slow down and potentially even stop the warming trend by reducing greenhouse gas emissions and implementing sustainable practices. This will require global cooperation and significant changes in our energy and transportation systems.

5. What can individuals do to help combat global warming?

Individual actions can make a significant impact in reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Some examples include using renewable energy sources, reducing energy consumption, eating a plant-based diet, and supporting policies and initiatives that promote sustainability. It is essential for everyone to take responsibility and make small changes in their daily lives to contribute to the solution.

Back