Refraction Problem- very easy but

• Thread starter physicsbhelp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Refraction
In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem with refraction and the corresponding angles in different mediums. The participants discuss equations and angles, and there is a mention of a helpful thread on a physics forum. There is also a warning to stop deleting posts after receiving help.
physicsbhelp
[SOLVED] Refraction Problem- very easy but need help

. . . .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is 180 deg coming from? What is the angle of refraction from liquid to air? What is the corresponding angle in the liquid?

The eqn is right.

physicsbhelp said:
so would the corresponding angle be

sin(theda)N1=sin(theda2)N2

so that means that theda2=180 so that part of the equation = 0. so sin(theda1)1.85?

Look at theta2, by which I presume you mean the angle of refraction into air. Does it look like 180 deg?

Yes, "theda2" would be 90 deg.

You're almost there. Check your thedas, which one goes where.

(Here again, sin theda1 > 1.)

Yes and N2=1. (RI of air.)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP SHOOTING STAR! you are the BEST!

what am I? chopped liver?

Dear physicsbhelp,

The way you are deleting your own posts I find hilarious, though I don't know why you are doing it. I must share this with others. Hope you don't mind.

physicsbhelp said:
. . . .
Stop playing these games (deleting your posts after getting help) or you will soon find yourself unable to get any help. :grumpy:

To the helpers: Please report this kind of activity.

1. What is refraction and how does it occur?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This occurs because light travels at different speeds in different mediums, causing it to change direction.

2. What is the law of refraction?

The law of refraction, also known as Snell's law, states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speed of light in the first medium to the speed of light in the second medium.

3. How is the angle of refraction calculated?

The angle of refraction can be calculated using the formula n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two mediums and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively.

4. What is the difference between refraction and reflection?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium, while reflection is the bouncing of light off a surface. Refraction changes the direction of light, while reflection does not.

5. What are some real-life examples of refraction?

Some examples of refraction in everyday life include the bending of light through a glass of water, the distortion of objects when viewed through a curved lens, and the rainbow effect seen when light passes through a prism.