Confusion about Gravitational Potential

In summary: This is why we often use U = mgh as an approximation for changes in potential.In summary, there are two different expressions for gravitational potential energy: U(h) = mgh for a uniform gravitational field and U = -GMm/r for the gravitational field of a spherical body. The latter includes a negative sign because it is measured relative to the potential at infinity, while the former is measured relative to the ground. However, for small distances, these two expressions are approximately equal and can be used interchangeably.
dcl
Heya's
Im a bit confused reguarding gravitational potential energy.
I've seen 2 different calculations

U(h) = mgh
where h is the height above the ground.

and
U = -GMm/r (off the top of my head, havnt got my notes here with me right now)

Could anyone help clear this up for me? Why does one expression have a negative potential?

Physics news on Phys.org
dcl said:
Heya's
Im a bit confused reguarding gravitational potential energy.
I've seen 2 different calculations

U(h) = mgh
where h is the height above the ground.

and
U = -GMm/r (off the top of my head, havnt got my notes here with me right now)

Could anyone help clear this up for me? Why does one expression have a negative potential?
The former, U(h), applies to a uniform gravitational field where the zero of potential is at h = 0. The later, U = -GMm/r, applies to the gravitational field of a spherical body where the zero potential is at r = infinity. Plot each on a graph and you'll notice that each is a decreasing function of r, only the shape of the curve is different.

Keep in mind that only changes in potential are physically meaningful. You can always add a constant without changing the physics. The constant is usually chosen to make the math as simple as possible.

Pete

I see, makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Just to add to what pmb_phy said, we use mgh much of the time in calculations because it is a good approximation to the change in the gravitational potential (given by U = -GMm/r) for small distances. i.e. when h << r.

Matt

[tex]r=R+h [/tex]

So,

[tex]U =\frac {-GMm} {r} = \frac {-GMm} {R+h} = \frac {-GMm} {R} (1 + h/R)^{-1}[/tex]

For h<<R, you can expand the last term binomially, and neglect terms of second order and up. So,

[tex]U = \frac {-GMm} {R} (1 - h/R) =\frac {-GMm} {R} + \frac {GMmh} {R^2}[/tex]
[tex] = Constant + (m)*(\frac {GM} {R^2})*h = Constant + mgh [/tex]

Since we are interested only in changes in potential, we can throw away the constant term.

1. What is gravitational potential?

Gravitational potential is the amount of potential energy that an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. It is a scalar quantity that represents the work that would be required to move the object from its current position to a reference point, typically infinity, without any change in its kinetic energy.

2. How is gravitational potential different from gravitational potential energy?

While gravitational potential is a scalar quantity that represents the potential energy of an object due to its position in a gravitational field, gravitational potential energy is a measure of the actual energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. Gravitational potential energy is equal to the product of an object's mass, the acceleration due to gravity, and the object's height above the reference point.

3. What is the formula for calculating gravitational potential?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential is V = -GM/r, where V is the gravitational potential, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the two objects. This formula is used to calculate the gravitational potential between two objects in a gravitational field.

4. Does an object's gravitational potential change with its mass?

No, an object's gravitational potential does not change with its mass. The gravitational potential is dependent on the mass of the larger object and the distance between the two objects, but not the mass of the smaller object. This means that an object's gravitational potential remains the same regardless of its mass.

5. How does gravitational potential affect the motion of objects?

Gravitational potential affects the motion of objects by determining the direction and magnitude of the gravitational force between two objects. The higher the gravitational potential, the stronger the attractive force between the objects, and the faster an object will accelerate towards the larger object. This can be seen in the orbits of planets around the sun, where their motion is determined by the gravitational potential between them and the sun.