Chemistry vs. chem 1?(at 2 yr college) It varies, but in your opinion?

In summary, there are differences between introductory chemistry and chem 1 at a 2 year college, but it varies by school. Typically, chem 1 covers more and in greater depth than introductory chemistry. Introductory chemistry is usually for non-science majors or as a prerequisite for general chemistry, while chem 1 is for science majors. It may also serve as a remedial course for students who struggled with basic chemistry concepts. It is recommended for those who are confident in their chemistry knowledge to take the regular freshmen chemistry course, while those who need more preparation can take the introductory course and catch up later.
land_of_ice
What is different about introductory chemistry vs. chem 1?(at 2 yr college) Granted, it varies by school, but in your opinion, or based on your own personal experiences with taking these classes?
Typically what can you expect to learn in chem 1 that was not in introductory chemistry.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No idea since "Introductory Chemistry" isn't descriptive. Is it for non-majors or majors?

If these two courses are offered at the same school, it is likely that "Introductory Chemistry" is not for Chemistry majors (possibly for Allied Health or Nursing) but you will need to examine the syllabi and compare them yourself or ask an advisor to be sure.

http://mynvccatalog.alamo.edu/content.php?catoid=3&navoid=671" course covers more and in greater depth than the Intro course.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my CC, Intro Chem is for non-science majors to get a lab credit and a pre-req for Gen Chem I if you havn't had one year of HS chem in the last two years.

what I've seen is that these "intro the chem classes" are for kids who struggled with the basics of chemistry (sig figs, etc). often, they serve as phys sci credit for non major or they serve as prep for freshmen chemistry for science majors.
it is essentially high school chemistry (aka remedial). all the topics will be presented again in regular freshmen chemistry, but some people need more time to go over the material/want to hit the ground running.

if you know chemistry, just take the freshmen course (unless you're not a science major, just take the easiest course and focus on your core classes... but then why be on physicsforum?). if you're worried, simply take the remedial chem class play catch up some other way (summer school, when you transfer)

IMHO: i'd rather take the intro chem and play catch up than take general chem and screw up and have to retake it.

I can say that the difference between introductory chemistry and chem 1 at a 2-year college can vary depending on the institution. In my opinion, the main difference lies in the depth and complexity of the topics covered.

Introductory chemistry is often a broad overview of basic concepts and principles in chemistry, such as atomic structure, bonding, and chemical reactions. It may also cover some basic laboratory techniques and safety procedures. This course is usually designed for students who have little or no background in chemistry and serves as a foundation for further studies in the subject.

On the other hand, chem 1 at a 2-year college is typically a more in-depth and rigorous course. It delves deeper into the fundamental principles of chemistry, including thermodynamics, kinetics, equilibrium, and acid-base chemistry. It also involves more advanced laboratory work, where students learn to perform experiments and analyze data using sophisticated equipment and techniques.

Based on my personal experience, I found that chem 1 required a higher level of understanding and critical thinking compared to introductory chemistry. The concepts were more complex, and the workload was more demanding. However, it also provided a more comprehensive understanding of the subject, preparing me for further studies in chemistry.

In summary, introductory chemistry is a basic overview of chemistry, while chem 1 is a more in-depth and challenging course that covers advanced topics and prepares students for higher-level studies.

1. What is the difference between Chemistry and Chem 1?

Chemistry is a broad field of science that deals with the composition, structure, properties, and changes of matter. It encompasses many sub-disciplines such as organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, and analytical chemistry. Chem 1, on the other hand, refers to the introductory level chemistry course typically taken at a 2-year college. It covers the fundamental principles and concepts of chemistry, including atomic structure, chemical reactions, and stoichiometry.

2. Is Chem 1 more difficult than Chemistry?

It depends on the individual's background and prior knowledge in chemistry. Chem 1 may be more challenging for students who have no previous exposure to chemistry, while those who have taken chemistry courses in high school may find it easier. However, the level of difficulty also varies among different institutions and instructors.

3. Can I take Chemistry without taking Chem 1?

It is possible to take Chemistry without taking Chem 1, but it is not recommended. Chem 1 provides the foundational knowledge and skills necessary for success in higher-level chemistry courses. Skipping Chem 1 may result in difficulties in understanding more complex concepts and may hinder overall performance in the course.

4. Is Chem 1 a prerequisite for other chemistry courses?

Yes, Chem 1 is usually a prerequisite for higher-level chemistry courses. These courses build upon the knowledge and skills learned in Chem 1, and skipping it may make it challenging to keep up with the material. It is important to check the course requirements before enrolling in any chemistry course.

5. Can I get a degree in Chemistry by only taking Chem 1?

No, Chem 1 alone is not enough to obtain a degree in Chemistry. It is typically just one of the required courses for a chemistry degree, along with other advanced level courses. To earn a degree in Chemistry, students must fulfill all the course requirements and meet the credit hour requirements set by their institution.