Need to solve thise 2 equations

• Thread starter weedannycool
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving two equations involving cosine and sine functions with given angles and variables. The suggested approach is to square the equations and use identities involving the sum of the squares of sine and cosine. Another approach is to replace the angles with their equivalent values and use trial and error to find the unknown variables. The topic being discussed is relative motion.
weedannycool

Homework Statement

i have 2 equations:

400cos [tex]\vartheta[/tex]a = 300 + Vacos45

and

400sin [tex]\vartheta[/tex]a = Vasin45

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no clue, maybe square it.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi weedannycool! :wink:
weedannycool said:
… maybe square it.

Yes, of course …

what do you get? :smile:

Also, you should replace cos45 and sin45 by sqrt(2)/2. I'm assuming the angles are in degrees.

One other thing. Instead of starting a new thread for essentially the same (but corrected) problem, you should continue the old thread, putting in the corrected set of equations.

right so i have the to equations squared. not positive with what i should to next though. is there a method for solving these.

thanks for the help so far

Do you know any identities involving the sum of the squares of the sine and cosine functions?

Mark44's approach replacing sin45 and cos45 with sqrt(2)/2 seems the most straight forward approach. You have 2 equations with 2 unknowns, theta-a and Va. The expression with Va*sqrt(2)/2 in the second equation can be substituted into the first equation. You are left with one equation with one unknown, theta-a. Trial and error to find theta-a. Plug theta-a into either equation to find Va. Theta-a will be in degrees, Va won't be.

thanks guys. relative motion is a blast.

1. How do I solve two equations simultaneously?

Solving two equations simultaneously means finding the values of the variables that satisfy both equations at the same time. This can be done by using algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination, or by using graphical methods such as graphing the equations and finding the intersection point.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve two equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve two equations. Many scientific and graphing calculators have built-in functions to solve equations, making it easier and faster to find the solutions.

3. What is the importance of solving two equations?

Solving two equations is important in many fields of science and mathematics. It allows us to find the relationship between two variables and make predictions or solve problems based on this relationship. It is also a fundamental concept in algebra and can be used to solve more complex equations and systems of equations.

4. What if the two equations have no solution?

If the two equations have no solution, it means that there is no value of the variables that satisfies both equations at the same time. This could happen if the equations are contradictory or if they represent parallel lines on a graph.

5. Can I solve two equations with more than two variables?

Yes, you can solve two equations with more than two variables by using additional equations or by using a system of equations solver. However, it is important to note that the number of equations must be equal to or greater than the number of variables in order to find a unique solution.