How to Calculate the Compression Distance of a Spring on an Inclined Plane?

• Thread starter blade_090
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation is about finding the distance the spring is compressed when a block is projected towards it on an inclined plane. The person initially used the equation for work done by the spring, but was unable to find the correct answer. Upon further discussion, it was determined that the block travels more than the initial distance of 0.3m as it compresses the spring, and the person was advised to use the energy equation to find the new distance traveled. After some clarification, the person understood and was able to solve the problem.
blade_090

Homework Statement

an inclined plane of angle 20 degree has a spring of force constant k= 500N/m fastened securely at the bottom so that the spring is parallel to the surface. a block of mass m=2.5kg is placed on the plane at a distance d=0.300m from the spring. From this position, the block is projected downward towards the spring with speed, v=0.750m/s. By what distance is the spring compressed when the block momentarily comes to rest?

Homework Equations

work done of spring=1/2kx2 and kinetic energy=1/2mv2
and potential energy=mglsin20?

The Attempt at a Solution

i try to solve the ques by using work done of spring= potential energy+kinetic energy
bt can't find the correct ans =S
which part i did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work in detail.

ehild

ehild said:
Show your work in detail.

ehild

1/2mv2+mglsin20=1/2kx2
1/2(2.5)(0.75)^2+2.5(9.8)(0.3sin20)=1/2(500)(x)^2
x=0.113m
bt the real ans is o.131m
i wonder which part i did wrong

The block travels more than 0.3 m as its compresses the spring by x.

ehild

ehild said:
The block travels more than 0.3 m as its compresses the spring by x.

ehild

ic...so how do i find the distance traveled by the block?
i got to find the acceleration 1st rite?
thru mgsin20=ma?

Use the energy equation as before but with the new length the block travels till coming to rest.

ehild

ehild said:
Use the energy equation as before but with the new length the block travels till coming to rest.

ehild

i mean how do find the new length the block travelled?
is the block's acceleration-----mgsin20=ma?

Before touching the spring, it is. After touching the spring, it is different. But you do not need the acceleration. Think: what is x? Make a drawing. ehild

ehild said:
Before touching the spring, it is. After touching the spring, it is different. But you do not need the acceleration. Think: what is x? Make a drawing.

ehild

lolx..silly me XDD
i missunderstand ur explanation jus now
i figured it out..
thx for ur help ^^

1. What are the main sources of energy?

The main sources of energy are fossil fuels (coal, oil, and natural gas), nuclear energy, and renewable energy sources (solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass).

2. How can we reduce our energy consumption?

There are several ways to reduce energy consumption, such as using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, insulating buildings, and using public transportation or carpooling.

3. What is the most effective renewable energy source?

The most effective renewable energy source depends on various factors such as location, climate, and availability. However, solar energy is considered one of the most abundant and efficient sources of renewable energy.

4. How can we transition to a more sustainable energy system?

To transition to a more sustainable energy system, we need to invest in clean and renewable energy sources, improve energy efficiency, and reduce our dependence on fossil fuels. This can also involve implementing policies and regulations that promote the use of sustainable energy.

5. What are the challenges in solving energy problems?

The main challenges in solving energy problems include the high costs of transitioning to clean energy, limited availability of renewable energy sources in certain areas, and the need for technological advancements to make renewable energy more efficient and reliable.