Block and spring on ramp; find compression

In summary: The correct answer is x=.084.Please provide a detailed explanation of how you solved the equation and what units you used.
physics8763
Member warned to use the formatting template for homework posts.
An inclined plane of angle
θ = 20.0°
has a spring of force constant
k = 525 N/m
fastened securely at the bottom so that the spring is parallel to the surface as shown in the figure below. A block of mass
m = 2.31 kg
is placed on the plane at a distance
d = 0.312 m
from the spring. From this position, the block is projected downward toward the spring with speed
v = 0.750 m/s.
By what distance is the spring compressed when the block momentarily comes to rest?

I used equation 1/2mv^2+mgh=1/2kx^2 and got x=.084, which was incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Picture of problem

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,454
physics8763 said:
θ = 20.0°
k = 525 N/m
fastened securely at the bottom so that the spring is parallel to the surface as shown in the figure below. A block of mass
m = 2.31 kg
d = 0.312 m
from the spring. From this position, the block is projected downward toward the spring with speed
v = 0.750 m/s.
By what distance is the spring compressed when the block momentarily comes to rest?

Please show your detailed calculations. And don't omit the HW template. That is the rule at PF.

OK, like I said I got x=.084. Basically I have that KE (initial energy) + Gravitational PE is equal to the Work the spring does and solved for x. What did I do wrong?

Most likely there is a bug in the homework grading system. .084 is correct.

what did you use for 'h' ? You wouldn't know how much potential energy is lost unless you've also solved for the distance by which the spring is compressed

physics8763 said:
Most likely there is a bug in the homework grading system. .084 is correct.
Well, did you include the units in your answer?

Units are already included and I substituted dsin(theta) for h

Maybe there isn't a bug. Hmm I am very confused

physics8763 said:
θ = 20.0°
k = 525 N/m
m = 2.31 kg
d = 0.312 m
v = 0.750 m/s.

untitled-png.90293.png
Hello physics8763. Welcome to PF.

The equation you show could be used to solve the problem, provided that v, h, and, x are properly defined. (True also for m, g, and k)

Physics is much more than an exercise in "hunting for the magic equation".

That equation suggests that you are trying to solve this problem from a "conservation of energy" point of view.As they say "The devil is in the details.", and you have given us very few details regarding how your equation translated into an answer of x=.084 . (Whatever x is.)

physics8763 said:
Units are already included and I substituted dsin(theta) for h
I don't think h is simply d*sin(theta)

Does anyone know how to do the problem?

I need help

Since all of you don't know how to do it I am going to just look up the answer.

Hint: h is a function of x

[Moderator's note: Thread title changed to conform to forum rules. Thread titles must be descriptive of the thread subject matter and identify the type of physics that is involved. Vague titles and pleas for help are not allowed]

Remember that as the spring compresses, the block continues to lose height. What does that do to the energy balance?

physics8763 said:
I'm sure Steamking, gneill and I all know how to do the problem.

Check what the rules are regarding this Forum. We as HomeWork Helpers must also follow those rules. Putting it bluntly, we do not provide solutions. We are here to help you solve the problem.

physics8763 said:

Which of these is your desire?
1. The answer.
2. A lesson in how to find the answer.
3, An understanding of the physics involved in reaching the answer.

We can't help with 1. We will help with 2 but only because the goal is 3.

Likes SammyS
Needed quadratic formula: (gsintheta+sqrt(((gsintheta)^2)+(k/m)(v^2+2sintheta*d))/(k/m) gives .1238, the correct answer

1. What is the purpose of a block and spring on ramp experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to investigate the relationship between the compression of a spring and the angle of an inclined ramp. This can help us understand how different forces and angles affect the behavior of springs in various situations.

2. How do you set up a block and spring on ramp experiment?

To set up this experiment, you will need an inclined ramp, a block, a spring, a ruler, and a protractor. Place the ramp on a flat surface and adjust the angle to your desired measurement. Place the block on the ramp and attach the spring to it. Use the ruler to measure the compression of the spring at different angles.

3. What data should be collected during a block and spring on ramp experiment?

The data collected in this experiment should include the angle of the ramp, the compression of the spring at each angle, and the mass of the block. This will allow you to analyze the relationship between these variables and make conclusions about the behavior of the spring on the ramp.

4. How does the angle of the ramp affect the compression of the spring?

The angle of the ramp has a direct effect on the compression of the spring. As the angle increases, the compression of the spring also increases. This is because the steeper angle creates a greater force on the block, causing the spring to compress more.

5. What are the potential sources of error in a block and spring on ramp experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment could include inaccurate measurements of the angle and compression of the spring, as well as variations in the surface of the ramp or the weight of the block. It is important to take multiple measurements and calculate an average to minimize these errors.