Extracting power from a plasma

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using a plasma 'ball' flowing through a tube surrounded by electromagnet coils as a means of generating electricity. The main question is how much power can be extracted from the plasma in this way and whether it would slow down the plasma. The relevance of equations and different methods for plasma fusion are also mentioned. Ultimately, the suggestion is made to use a more traditional form of electricity generation rather than relying on the plasma 'ball' concept.
rprosser
I'm exploring an idea for a MHD generator. This may well have been done before but I can't find that much about the subject online so I would appreciate input from PF people.

Assume that a plasma 'ball' is flowing along the axis of a tube, which is surrounded by electromagnet coils. The plasma will of course 'pinch', with the ions and electrons rotating in opposite directions around the axis.

Now if the ball is passed through another coil, the induced EMF from the circulating charges would create a current pulse in the coil, which could then be tapped as an electric generator. An additional EMF in the coil wires will also be created along the axial direction as the plasma pulse passes through; presumably that could also be part of an electric circuit if the conductor was wide enough to permit suitable connections.

I wish to focus on the former case however: how much power could be taken from the plasma in that way? Would the plasma then slow down?

Please note that I know about the various equations involved but I am not that good at maths! I am also well aware that a changing current is required to induce the EMF, hence the 'ball' assumption in the first place.

I would appreciate some typical examples if possible.

Thanks ...

Richard

Physics news on Phys.org
So we should put copious amounts of power into creating, confining and directing a 'ball' of plasma; then use the motion of that 'ball' to generate current in a coil...
Why don't you just use a generator and cut out the middle man?

The relevant equation you need to look at is:
[tex] \sum E_\textrm{initial} = \sum E_\textrm{final} [/tex]

Thanks for your response.

Richard

I assume you've been thinking about magnetic confinement plasma systems for Fusion power. In that case, the plasma is just a means for achieving the high energy densities required for sustained fusion reactions. The alternative is "Inertial Confinement," which is far less cool (in my opinion).

The key to plasma fusion is that by pumping tons of energy into the system, you bring it to a level where a whole new reservoir of energy is available---thus making the process worth-while. If you try to use a classical method of extracting power (e.g. induction), you're just going to add tremendous inefficiencies between doing work (converting electricity to heat) and then back again (to electricity).

Hope that more detailed (and less derisive) explanation is helpful.

Thank you for sharing your idea, Richard. Extracting power from a plasma is a fascinating concept and has been studied extensively in the field of plasma physics. The idea of using a plasma flow to generate electricity through a MHD generator is indeed not new and has been explored in various research studies.

To answer your question about the amount of power that could be extracted from the plasma, it is important to consider several factors such as the properties of the plasma, the strength of the magnetic field, and the design of the MHD generator. These factors will ultimately determine the efficiency and power output of the generator.

In general, the power output from a MHD generator is dependent on the velocity of the plasma flow, the strength of the magnetic field, and the conductivity of the plasma. A higher velocity and stronger magnetic field can lead to a higher power output. However, it is important to note that extracting power from a plasma can also cause the plasma to slow down, as you mentioned in your question. This is due to the transfer of energy from the plasma to the generator.

As for examples of power output from MHD generators, it is difficult to provide specific numbers without knowing the exact parameters of your proposed system. But in previous studies, power outputs ranging from a few kilowatts to several megawatts have been achieved.

In conclusion, your idea for a MHD generator is certainly worth exploring further and could potentially have practical applications. However, it is important to carefully consider all the factors involved and conduct thorough research and calculations to determine the feasibility and potential power output of your proposed system. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

1. How is power extracted from plasma?

Power is extracted from plasma using a process called magnetic confinement. This involves using strong magnetic fields to contain and control the extremely hot plasma, which is then used to heat water and produce steam to power turbines.

2. What is the source of the plasma used for power extraction?

The plasma used for power extraction is typically obtained from ionized gases, such as hydrogen or helium, which are heated to very high temperatures using powerful electric currents or lasers.

3. What are the advantages of extracting power from plasma?

Extracting power from plasma has several advantages, including the potential for almost unlimited energy production, minimal environmental impact, and the ability to use various fuels, including nuclear waste and renewable sources.

4. What are the challenges of extracting power from plasma?

Some of the main challenges of extracting power from plasma include the high temperatures and pressures required, the difficulty of containing and controlling the plasma, and the potential for damaging the materials used in the process.

5. Is extracting power from plasma a viable source of energy?

While there is still much research and development needed, extracting power from plasma is considered a promising source of energy for the future. However, it is not currently a commercially available technology and will require significant investment and advancements in technology before it can be widely implemented.