Why there is no civil engineering sub-forum?

• Thread starter yabi
  • Start date
In summary, Yabi is a new member of the forum and is interested in discussing topics related to geometry and mathematics at the junior high school level. They are a civil engineer and are curious about the absence of a civil engineering forum on the site. Other members explain that there is a general engineering forum and that there may not be enough demand for a specific civil engineering forum. They also provide links to other forums that may be more focused on civil engineering topics.
yabi
This is my first post on this forum. I find this forum today by a search in Google for forums related to Geometry. Most of my questions will be focused on geometry and mathematics of junior high school level. These are to help my daughter who is in 2nd grade junior high school. I hope I'm in right forum.

I myself am a civil engineer. The first surprise came to me when I didn't find civil engineering under engineering sub-forum?
Is ther a reason for not including civil engineering in your forum? Would it be possible to ask to add it to your forum unless you have strong reason for excluding it?

BR
Yabi

Yabi is my nickname as my daughter called me when she started to talk and still she like to call.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums yabi.

I do know we have Civil Engineering members here, but it seems most engineering questions are in the other areas. I believe the sub-forums were developed from the interest shown.

This sites owner, Greg, along with the mentors are always open to suggestions.

Welcome! You may use the "General Engineering" forum. Not enough demand for it's own forum.

It is unfortunate there is not enough demand for a Civil Engineering forum. Structural and seismic/wind loading analysis is very relevant these days.

edgepflow said:
It is unfortunate there is not enough demand for a Civil Engineering forum. Structural and seismic/wind loading analysis is very relevant these days.

Being "relevant" has nothing to do with a consistent demand and a consistent level of discussion on a public forum. Condensed matter physics is the LARGEST sub-division of physics. Yet, do you see a specific, exclusive forum for it?

Zz.

edgepflow said:

Dear edgpflow

I read your opinion. I think we are fortunate to find general engineering in this Forum, as it is expected to talk only about Physics as it s name implies.
Also I think there are plenty of other forums talking about civil engineering
I personally use following two:

http://www.eng-tips.com/
http://www.engineering.com/

I am sure there are many others and even might be more specific ones.
I will be very happy if you could share name of few civil Eng forums with me.

Thanks in advance
Yabi

ZapperZ said:
Being "relevant" has nothing to do with a consistent demand and a consistent level of discussion on a public forum. Condensed matter physics is the LARGEST sub-division of physics. Yet, do you see a specific, exclusive forum for it?

Zz.
OK, thank you. This was not intended to be a critical statement. Just an opinion/observation.

yabi said:
Dear edgpflow

I read your opinion. I think we are fortunate to find general engineering in this Forum, as it is expected to talk only about Physics as it s name implies.
Also I think there are plenty of other forums talking about civil engineering
I personally use following two:

http://www.eng-tips.com/
http://www.engineering.com/

I am sure there are many others and even might be more specific ones.
I will be very happy if you could share name of few civil Eng forums with me.

Thanks in advance
Yabi
Those sites are good ones. This site is good too because the physics is the central theme while some of the engineering sites get very heavy into codes, standards and regulations, while the physics can go into the background.

1. Why isn't there a civil engineering sub-forum on this platform?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that the platform does not have enough demand for a civil engineering sub-forum. Another reason could be that the platform is more focused on other areas of science and engineering. It could also be that there are already other online communities or forums dedicated to civil engineering that users prefer to use.

2. Will there ever be a civil engineering sub-forum on this platform?

It's difficult to predict the future, but it is possible that a civil engineering sub-forum could be added if there is enough demand for it. However, it ultimately depends on the platform's goals and priorities.

3. Can I still discuss civil engineering topics on this platform even without a sub-forum?

Absolutely! While there may not be a designated sub-forum for civil engineering, you can still start discussions and post questions about civil engineering topics in the relevant categories or forums. You can also connect with other users who have similar interests in civil engineering through the platform's networking features.

4. Are there any plans to expand the platform to include a civil engineering sub-forum?

As a scientist, I am not privy to the platform's plans for expansion. However, it is always a good idea to reach out to the platform's administrators or suggest the idea in their feedback or suggestion channels.

5. How can I connect with other civil engineers on this platform?

While there may not be a specific sub-forum for civil engineering, you can use the platform's search and networking features to find and connect with other users who have listed civil engineering as one of their interests or areas of expertise. You can also join relevant groups or discussions related to civil engineering to connect with like-minded individuals.