Evaluating the Limit $\frac{0}{0}$: Can Someone Help?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, someone can't see how to do this and has tried substituting y = 1 but it isn't coming to anything. Making the substitution y = \sqrt[3]{x} is the right idea.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Can someone see how to do this? Here's what I have so far

Evaluate

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{\sqrt[3]{x}-1}{x-1} [/tex]

This is an indeterminate form [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex]. Let's multiply by the conjugate 2 times.

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{\sqrt[3]{x}-1}{x-1} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{\sqrt[3]{x}-1}{x-1} \frac{\sqrt[3]{x}+1}{\sqrt[3]{x}+1}\frac{\sqrt[3]{x}+1}{\sqrt[3]{x}+1} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{(x-1)+\sqrt[3]{x^2}-\sqrt[3]{x}}{(x-1)(\sqrt[3]{x}+1)^2}[/tex]

I have tried going farther, setting [itex]y = \sqrt[3]{x}[/itex] but it's not coming to anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
Making the substitution [itex]y = \sqrt[3]{x}[/itex] is the right idea.

Notice y=1 is a root of [itex]y^3-1[/itex]. See if you can factor out (y-1).
It'll give an expression that is probably familiar.

In terms of y, it's

[tex]\frac{y^3+y^2-y-1}{(y^3-1)(y+1)^2}[/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{(y^2-1)(y+1)}{(y^3-1)(y+1)^2} = \frac{(y^2-1)}{(y^3-1)(y+1)}[/tex]

I really don't see how to progress from there. :confused:

Don't bother rationalizing it. Just make the substitution straight off.

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{\sqrt[3]{x}-1}{x-1} = \lim_{y \to 1} \frac{y - 1}{y^3 - 1}[/tex]

--Justin

I'm afraid this isn't inspiring me much more.

Can you factor [itex]y^3 - 1[/itex] such that something cancels? Heck, there's only one way to factor [itex]y^3 - 1[/itex] either way, so why don't you give it a shot?

After you factor and cancel, does the indeterminance issue remain?

--Justin

Sorry, I was sure I had tried that before but that it led to nothing. Actually I had but I'd made a mistake in the division. Anyway, thanks a lot.

From your post #3,
[tex]\frac{(y^2-1)(y+1)}{(y^3-1)(y+1)^2} = \frac{(y^2-1)}{(y^3-1)(y+1)}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{(y+1)(y-1)}{(y-1)(y^2+y+1)(y+1)}[/tex]

:smile:

(I have to type something)

Use L'Hopital's Rule

No, no, no! Use L'Hopital's Rule. Whenever a limit is such that an expression becomes an indeterminate form, you should use L'Hopital's Rule, which states that:

[tex]f(a)=g(a)=0\Rightarrow\lim_{x\rightarrow a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{x\rightarrow a}\frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex]

What this means is that if you do get an indeterminate form, just differentiate the top and bottom of the fraction, and then try the value of the limit. If it is still an indeterminate form, just keep on differentiating (but this works only if it is an indeterminate form) and trying the value of the limit.

In your case

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{\sqrt[3]{x}-1}{x-1} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 1}3x^{-2/3} = 3(1)^{-2/3} = \frac{1}{3}[/tex]

which is indeed the correct answer. I am too a university physics student ("college" in America), but I learned this at what we call college (which is basically the course of study before you start university).

Any further questions?

Masud.

I thank you for pointing that out but I should have mentionned that I was not allowed to use L'Hospital's rule yet. This is for an analysis class, not a calculus class, and we haven't gotten to derivatives yet.

I'm sure I'll soon have a lot of further questions though. :wink:

I'll post them here in the next few days if you'd like to help.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean to have a limit of 0/0?

Having a limit of 0/0 means that when you plug in the specific value for the independent variable in the function, both the numerator and denominator become equal to 0.

2. Why is evaluating the limit of 0/0 important?

Evaluating the limit of 0/0 is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. It can also help us find the derivatives of functions and determine the continuity of a function.

3. Can we solve for the limit of 0/0?

No, we cannot solve for the limit of 0/0. This is because it is an indeterminate form, meaning that it does not have a single, definite value. It could approach a specific value or it could be undefined.

4. How do we evaluate the limit of 0/0?

To evaluate the limit of 0/0, we can use techniques such as factoring, rationalizing the numerator or denominator, or applying L'Hopital's rule. However, these methods may not always give us a definite answer and the limit may still be indeterminate.

5. Is the limit of 0/0 always equal to 0?

No, the limit of 0/0 is not always equal to 0. As mentioned before, it is an indeterminate form and can approach different values or be undefined. It is important to evaluate the limit carefully and not assume it will always be equal to 0.