Eagle Circuit Design: Free Schematic Program

In summary, Eagle is a simple and primitive schematic and board layout program that is free to download. It is not capable of doing any simulations. PSpice is a more advanced schematic capture and simulation program that can be purchased for free or used as a demo.
Tom McCurdy
Does anyone here use Eagle to design circuits... its seems really powerfull, but I am still trying to work out some minor details

Engineering news on Phys.org
I used it last year for a while and still have the program and files that I was working on. I have version 4.11. It was a free download. For a free program it's extremely powerful and more than sufficient for my needs.

I don't know whether I can help you or not. What details do you need to work out?

Sorry cannot answer your question but I am interested how it may compare to PSpice
which I have used for eons for schematic capture and simulation if you are familiar with that -- Thanks Ray.

rayjohn01 said:
Sorry cannot answer your question but I am interested how it may compare to PSpice
which I have used for eons for schematic capture and simulation if you are familiar with that -- Thanks Ray.

I'm not familiar with PSpice but I did go to the OrCAD website to look at it. It sounds like it does quite a bit. Is that a free download also? I saw free patches and upgrades, but I didn't see anywhere to download the actual program for free.

The Eagle is a very simple and primitive schematic and board layout program. It doesn't do any simulations at all (at least not that I'm aware of). I don't think that feature would help me much anyway because I also use rare modules that are never incorporated into simulators anyway! :grumpy:

Like right now I'm building a digital radio transceiver around a couple of Reynolds modules,…

http://www.rentron.com/remote_control/RWS-434.htm
http://www.rentron.com/remote_control/TWS-434.htm

I had to make my own library components in both the schematic and the components libraries for these modules. What would a simulator do with these modules?

Actually it would be nice if I could run a simulator on these circuits that I'm creating. I'm basically building them live as I go and testing them real-time. Here's a link to the Eagle schematic that I created for my little transceiver board:

http://www.csonline.net/designer/

I created this schematic using Eagle, and most of the symbols were hand-created by me. I only create small special-purpose boards so I don't mind creating my own symbols. The main thing I like about Eagle is that it was FREE. :biggrin:

It also links the PCboard layout to the schematic for easy updating and editing. But it has absolutely no simulation capabilities.

But would PSpice really help me in that regard anyhow? It certainly can't simulate the radio connection. It probably also wouldn't recognize the Reynolds modules.

By the way, where's Tom? Did he have a question, or did he get all the details worked out?

Last edited by a moderator:
PSice can be obtained free as a demo or 'student' version which is limited , but I have lost the site for the moment. In it's full version it has a lot of module models -- reynolds I do not know -- I use it at the transistor level where it excells --- but it can handle mixed analogue and digital and being from Orcad it can now handle or link to layout work. Simulation can be in the frequency domain or time , and the transistor library can be obtained from Philips which is awsome with up to 50GHz devices.
Just a personal note I have always stayed away from AM , and infinitely prefer FM
as the modular receivers are very sensitive and narrow band but at 400 Mhz you need surface mount technology and physically small components so it's a pain for the experimenter-- best of luck Ray.
PS the last transeiver simulator that I saw was in Calgary University in Canada with an installation of some 2M$ , which could simulate not only the whole circuitry ( analgue and digital ) at 1 Ghz but also simulate all the propogation characteriscs as well -- this was for wide band (20Mhz) psuedo random sequence modulation aiming at 100 Mbit data rate in the 20M channel.
some fun !

Last edited:
I agree about the FM vs. AM, but I'm working under cost restraints here, and the AM should suffice for my purposes.

1. What is Eagle Circuit Design?

Eagle Circuit Design is a free schematic program used for creating and designing electronic circuits. It is widely used by engineers, hobbyists, and students for various electronic projects.

2. Is Eagle Circuit Design a free program?

Yes, Eagle Circuit Design offers a free version with limited features. It also offers paid versions with more advanced features and capabilities.

3. What platforms is Eagle Circuit Design compatible with?

Eagle Circuit Design is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. It also has a web version that can be accessed through a browser.

4. Can I design PCB layouts with Eagle Circuit Design?

Yes, Eagle Circuit Design allows users to design both schematics and PCB layouts. It has a comprehensive library of components and tools for creating professional-quality PCB designs.

5. Is Eagle Circuit Design suitable for beginners?

While Eagle Circuit Design may have a steep learning curve for beginners, it offers a user-friendly interface and plenty of tutorials and resources to help beginners get started. With practice, users can easily create complex electronic circuits using this program.