Justifying the peak closed loop gain of an op-amp circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a Bode plot of log(gain) vs log(frequency) for an amplifier circuit and the possibility of a resonance in the gain at a certain frequency. The speaker is trying to determine the theoretical peak gain and whether this information can be found in the data sheet. The other person suggests looking at the manufacturer's version of the Bode plot and clarifies that most opamps do not have resonances in their open loop gain plots.
ergospherical
I'm just looking at a Bode plot of log(gain) vs log(frequency) for a an amplifier circuit. I'm trying to figure out whether I'm expecting to see a resonance in the gain at the frequency where I measured one. How could I, in principle, work out theoretically where the peak gain should occur - is this sort of information hidden somewhere in the data sheet? It's not clear to me from the schematics what the open loop gain ##A## or the feedback factor ##b## are (the internal components are not displayed). Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ergospherical said:
I'm just looking at a Bode plot of log(gain) vs log(frequency) for a an amplifier circuit. I'm trying to figure out whether I'm expecting to see a resonance in the gain at the frequency where I measured one. How could I, in principle, work out theoretically where the peak gain should occur - is this sort of information hidden somewhere in the data sheet? Thanks.
The Bode plot of open loop gain for most opamps in their datasheets will show flat gain until the first pole ("dominant pole", set by an explicit capacitance), and then a straight rolloff down to the 2nd pole where it decreases even faster.

Can you post an example Bode plot that you're asking about? Most opamps would not have resonances or peaking in their open loop gain plots, in my experience.

Likes ergospherical
Like so:

https://toshiba.semicon-storage.com...-loop-and-closed-loop-gains-of-an-op-amp.html

1638997015488.png

Likes ergospherical
I think you're right - at a second glance it doesn't look like a resonance so much as a little bump where the flat gain turns into a straight roll-off. I'll try and have a look for the manufacturer's version of that graph... thanks :)

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of justifying the peak closed loop gain of an op-amp circuit?

The peak closed loop gain of an op-amp circuit is the maximum gain that the circuit can achieve without causing instability or distortion. Justifying this gain ensures that the circuit is operating within safe and stable parameters.

2. How is the peak closed loop gain calculated for an op-amp circuit?

The peak closed loop gain is calculated by taking the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage. This can be determined by analyzing the circuit's feedback and input resistances, as well as the op-amp's open loop gain.

3. What factors can affect the peak closed loop gain of an op-amp circuit?

The peak closed loop gain can be affected by the values of the feedback and input resistances, as well as the open loop gain of the op-amp. Other factors such as temperature, power supply voltage, and component tolerances can also impact the gain.

4. How can the peak closed loop gain of an op-amp circuit be optimized?

To optimize the peak closed loop gain, the feedback and input resistances can be carefully chosen to achieve the desired gain. Additionally, using an op-amp with a high open loop gain and minimizing external factors such as temperature and power supply fluctuations can also help to improve the gain.

5. What are the consequences of not justifying the peak closed loop gain of an op-amp circuit?

If the peak closed loop gain is not justified, the circuit may operate at unstable or distorted levels, which can lead to inaccurate or unreliable results. This can also cause damage to the circuit or other components in the system. Therefore, it is important to properly justify the gain to ensure safe and accurate operation.