Designing Shielding Box for High Voltage Cylinder

In summary, The individual is seeking help with designing a shielding box for a high voltage +60keV cylinder. They need to calculate the electric field on the cylinder and determine the distance between the metal plate and the cylinder. They are wondering if they can use an approximation and if not, a numerical simulation may be the best solution. They also ask for suggestions on what type of numerical solution to use. The conversation also includes references to using Gauss' law and Smythe Static and Dynamic Electricity 3rd edition to solve the problem.
india
i have to design one shielding box. in that there is cylinder having high voltage +60kev. and box having metal plate. so i have to calculate the electric field on that cylinder and then decide , what should be the distance in between plate and cylinder. i have attach the geometry on the file. please see it.

Attachments

• ED problem.jpg
    ED problem.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
Could anyone help me ?

Can you use some approximation, like d>>R?
In that case, it should be possible to approximate the box as a cylinder, and calculate it like a cylindrical capacitor using Gauss' law (google should give you some ways to do this).

If not, a numerical simulation might be the easiest way to solve your problem.

yes, thanks ... bt i think i wl get that for cylindrical capacitor. bt right now i have another design.. bt i wl try for solving it.
btw what type of numerical solution that i should use??

mfb said:
Can you use some approximation, like d>>R?
In that case, it should be possible to approximate the box as a cylinder, and calculate it like a cylindrical capacitor using Gauss' law (google should give you some ways to do this).

If not, a numerical simulation might be the easiest way to solve your problem.

For a cylinder and one metal plate, the capacitance per unit length is given by Smythe Static and Dynamic Electricity 3rd edition page 78:
[tex] C=\frac{2\pi\epsilon}{cosh^{-1}\frac{h}{R}} [/tex]
for cylinder of radius R with axis parallel to and at a distance h above an infinite plane. The problem of a cylinder between two conducting planes is given on page 105.

india said:
btw what type of numerical solution that i should use??
A two-dimensional grid, for example. Use your favourite tool, plug in the boundary conditions for the potential Φ (box and circle) and the Laplace equation [itex]\nabla^2 \Phi = 0[/itex] in the vacuum (or air, as good approximation).

In excel, the result can look like http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/2824/7fhjuxw8_jpg.htm (I did this for a cylinder over an infinite plane orthogonal to the cylinder axis, and it uses cylindrical coordinates).

1. How do you determine the appropriate dimensions for a shielding box?

The dimensions of a shielding box for a high voltage cylinder depend on several factors such as the size and shape of the cylinder, the voltage level, and the desired level of protection. Generally, the box should be slightly larger than the cylinder to allow for proper insulation and clearance.

2. What materials are suitable for constructing a shielding box?

The materials used for constructing a shielding box should have high electrical insulation properties and be able to withstand high voltage levels. Common materials include aluminum, steel, and copper. It is also important to ensure that the materials are properly grounded to prevent any potential hazards.

3. How do you ensure proper grounding of a shielding box?

The grounding of a shielding box is crucial for its effectiveness. This can be achieved by connecting the box to a grounding electrode using a low impedance conductor. It is important to regularly check the grounding to ensure it is functioning properly.

4. Can a shielding box be reused for different voltage levels?

Yes, a shielding box can be reused for different voltage levels as long as it is properly designed and constructed to withstand the highest voltage level it will be exposed to. However, it is important to regularly test the box to ensure it is still suitable for use at the desired voltage level.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a shielding box?

Yes, it is important to follow safety protocols when using a shielding box for high voltage cylinders. This includes wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, ensuring proper grounding, and regularly testing the box for any damages. It is also recommended to have someone trained in high voltage safety present during use.