Normal of two tangent circles

In summary: Seems you could just use standard ball spring plungers and change as required if it doesn't hold your load. Companies that sell those sometimes have design guidelines that answer many of your questions. But that's just me, being lazy.
gogogsr
Hey guys,

i'm building an apparatus with a sliding pin containing a spring and a ball. I want to lock in two different positions so I've rounded two slots in the housings. I would like to know what is the equation two find the normal force of the spring on the ball depending on the displacement of the pin. I'm having a hard time finding the normal with an equation, i can find it manually by moving the pin at different points and then drawing the tangent and normal to find the angle but i know there must be an equation. the slot diameter is bigger than the ball diameter to make sure it slides easily (meaning the slot and ball are not concentric)Thanks guys

Untitled.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Shouldn't the normal force of the spring on the ball just be k * Δx?

berkeman said:
Shouldn't the normal force of the spring on the ball just be k * Δx?

yes but i want it in the movement direction of the pin so perpendicular, in relation with the ball normal angle on the slot

gogogsr said:
yes but i want it in the movement direction of the pin so perpendicular, in relation with the ball normal angle on the slot

Are you trying to calculate the force required to move the pin when the ball is in one of the slots? And that's why you are looking for a normal force, so you can use F = μ * N ?

I would recommend you slightly round the land between the detent poitions to ease tha passage of the ball.
That will happen anyway with wear, but the mechanism will then become sloppy.

berkeman said:
Are you trying to calculate the force required to move the pin when the ball is in one of the slots? And that's why you are looking for a normal force, so you can use F = μ * N ?

yes, that is exactly what I'm looking for, but with the use of an equation to get the normal angle vs stroke of ball.

thank you

Studiot said:
I would recommend you slightly round the land between the detent poitions to ease tha passage of the ball.
That will happen anyway with wear, but the mechanism will then become sloppy.

yes i know I'm putting small radius on the land, thx

I believe the max force would occur at the extreme point of the detent feature. This would happen when sliding starts, and decrease abruptly after that. It's a sine function, isn't it? Resolve that angular force with trigonometry into a force vector parallel with the axis of the hole. But you'll need to amp it up a bit to accommodate non-spericity of the detent, ball/hole tolerance fits & associated friction, etc. UNLESS your detent feature is a cone shape from a drill, then a lot of things change.

Seems you could just use standard ball spring plungers and change as required if it doesn't hold your load. Companies that sell those sometimes have design guidelines that answer many of your questions. But that's just me, being lazy.

What is the definition of "Normal of two tangent circles"?

The normal of two tangent circles is defined as the line that is perpendicular to the tangent line at the point of tangency between the two circles.

How is the normal of two tangent circles calculated?

The normal of two tangent circles can be calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line at the point of tangency and then finding the negative reciprocal of that slope. This will give the slope of the normal line. The equation of the normal line can then be determined using the point-slope form.

What is the significance of the normal of two tangent circles?

The normal of two tangent circles is important in geometry and physics, as it helps to determine the direction of forces between the two circles. It is also used in calculating the angle of reflection in optics and the direction of movement in motion problems.

How many points of intersection can the normal of two tangent circles have with the circles?

The normal of two tangent circles can have two points of intersection with the circles, one where it is tangent to each circle. These points are known as the points of tangency and lie on the normal line.

Can the normal of two tangent circles be parallel to each other?

No, the normal of two tangent circles cannot be parallel to each other. This is because the tangent line at the point of tangency is always perpendicular to the normal line. Therefore, if the normal lines were parallel, the tangent lines would also have to be parallel, which is not possible for two tangent circles.