Forced Normal mode frequencies of 4 horizontal springs, 3 masses

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the normal mode frequencies of a driven/forced system with 3 equal masses connected by 4 springs of equal spring constant. The relevant equations and concepts are mentioned, including the force-potential relationship and the natural frequency of the system. One person shares their attempt at a solution and another person points out where a mistake was made. The conversation ends with a thank you for the help.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hey guys.
The title says it all pretty much. We need to find the normal mode frequencies of a driven/forced system containing 3 equal masses connected by 4 springs of equal spring constant k.

Homework Equations

[itex]F=m\ddot{x}[/itex]
Spring potential
[itex]V = 0.5kx^{2}[/itex]
Force-potential relationship
[itex]F = -\frac{dV}{dx}[/itex]
Natural frequency of the system
[itex]ω_{0}^{2} = \frac{k}{m}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I'm gona type this up in word and show you guys what I've done. Obviously there are 3 masses, so we expect 3 normal mode frequencies. I've found two, I don't know how to get the third one.
https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/818/normalmodefrequencyques.jpg
Thanks again guys.

Attachments

• normalmodefrequencyques.jpg
    normalmodefrequencyques.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 820
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked all the steps in detail. But, after you expanded your determinant, it looks like you have an overall factor of ##(2\omega_0^2-\omega^2)##. You then divided out this overall factor. I think that's where you lost your 3rd solution.

Yea, you're right...that's it. Thanks a lot man :)

1. What is the formula for calculating the forced normal mode frequencies of 4 horizontal springs and 3 masses?

The formula for calculating the forced normal mode frequencies of 4 horizontal springs and 3 masses is f = 1/2π√(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass.

2. How do the spring constants and masses affect the forced normal mode frequencies?

The spring constants and masses directly affect the forced normal mode frequencies. As the spring constant increases, the frequency also increases. Similarly, as the mass increases, the frequency decreases.

3. Can the forced normal mode frequencies be changed?

Yes, the forced normal mode frequencies can be changed by altering the spring constants or masses. Additionally, changing the external force applied to the system can also affect the frequencies.

4. What is the significance of the forced normal mode frequencies in this system?

The forced normal mode frequencies represent the natural frequencies at which the system will oscillate when subjected to an external force. They are important in understanding the behavior and stability of the system.

5. How do the number of springs and masses affect the forced normal mode frequencies?

The number of springs and masses in the system can affect the forced normal mode frequencies in various ways. For example, adding more springs can result in a higher frequency, while adding more masses can result in a lower frequency.