Forced Normal mode frequencies of 4 horizontal springs, 3 masses

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Dixanadu
Messages
250
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Hey guys.
The title says it all pretty much. We need to find the normal mode frequencies of a driven/forced system containing 3 equal masses connected by 4 springs of equal spring constant k.

Homework Equations


[itex]F=m\ddot{x}[/itex]
Spring potential
[itex]V = 0.5kx^{2}[/itex]
Force-potential relationship
[itex]F = -\frac{dV}{dx}[/itex]
Natural frequency of the system
[itex]ω_{0}^{2} = \frac{k}{m}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


So, I'm gona type this up in word and show you guys what I've done. Obviously there are 3 masses, so we expect 3 normal mode frequencies. I've found two, I don't know how to get the third one.
https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/818/normalmodefrequencyques.jpg
Thanks again guys.
 
Attachments
  • normalmodefrequencyques.jpg
    normalmodefrequencyques.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 909
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked all the steps in detail. But, after you expanded your determinant, it looks like you have an overall factor of ##(2\omega_0^2-\omega^2)##. You then divided out this overall factor. I think that's where you lost your 3rd solution.
 
Yea, you're right...that's it. Thanks a lot man :)