An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers - Hardy, Wright

In summary, "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" by G. H. Hardy and Edward M. Wright is a classic textbook used in mathematics classes. However, it has been noted that even the newest edition contains errors and may require additional materials for better understanding. A list of corrections for the sixth edition can be found on the Oxford University website.

For those who have used this book

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
I am currently using this text for one of my classes. I find it difficult to read from this book and I often have to use other materials to supplement the topics in this book. Even the newest edition is riddled with errors. Its as if none of the editors ever actually read the book before publishing it.

None the less it is a classical introduction. Just be ready to get very intimate with the book.

1. What is the main topic of "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers - Hardy, Wright"?

The main topic of "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers - Hardy, Wright" is number theory, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties of numbers and their relationships.

2. Who are the authors of "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers - Hardy, Wright"?

The authors of "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers - Hardy, Wright" are G.H. Hardy and E.M. Wright, both renowned mathematicians known for their contributions to number theory and analysis.

3. Is "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers - Hardy, Wright" suitable for beginners?

While the book is considered a classic and highly respected in the field of number theory, it may not be suitable for complete beginners. It is recommended for readers with a solid understanding of basic algebra and mathematical concepts.

4. What makes "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers - Hardy, Wright" a must-read for mathematicians?

"An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers - Hardy, Wright" is a must-read for mathematicians because it presents the fundamentals of number theory in a clear, concise, and rigorous manner. It also includes numerous examples, exercises, and historical notes that make it a valuable reference for further study.

5. Is "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers - Hardy, Wright" still relevant today?

Despite being first published in 1938, "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers - Hardy, Wright" is still relevant today. The concepts and theories presented in the book are fundamental and have stood the test of time. It continues to be a valuable resource for students and researchers in number theory.