Is Introduction to Theory of Numbers by Hardy good ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of number theory and book recommendations for undergraduate students with a light knowledge of calculus and algebra. The original poster mentions their interest in learning mathematics beyond what is taught in school, specifically number theory, and asks for advice on whether they should continue with Hardy's book or look for a more suitable one. Several references are suggested, including "Elementary Number Theory" by D. Burton, "Elementary Number Theory with Applications" by T. Koshy, "Elementary Methods in Number Theory" by M. Nathanson, and "Introduction to Analytic Number Theory" by T. Apostol. It is advised to have a strong background in calculus and proof techniques before attempting to read Hardy's book, and
Ling Min Hao
I am currently an undergraduate students at university and i am keen on learning some mathematics that is not taught in school and i have chosen number theory as my main topic . Recently I have picked number theory by Hardy but I found it is quite hard to understand sometimes as I have quite a lot of symbols and notation that I don't understand like (big O , little o , f=O(phi) means that mod(f) < A(phi) ) . Should I continue on learning this book or any other book recommendations which is more suitable for undergraduates with light knowledge on calculus and algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's some discussion on it:

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/329/best-book-ever-on-number-theory

and they recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/038797329X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Ireland and Rosen

although this is a graduate level text.

Another one I found was this one by Prof of Mathematics William Stein of the Univ of Washington:

http://wstein.org/ent/

while I can't vouch for these references personally the Stein book is freely downloadable and could get you started on your topic.

@micromass, @Mark44 or @Krylov may have better references for undergrads.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only book I have on number theory is one I got for a class in 1976, "Elements of Number Theory," by Anthony Petto frezzo and Donald Byrkit. That's the only number theory book I have. Amazon shows a 2nd edition of this book, and the one review it got was 5 stars.

If you do not have strong background in calculus, then Hardy/Wright is definitely not a suitable book for you; in order to read it, you need to have a strong grasp of the advanced calculus and some knowledge from complex analysis. If you would like gentler books, then I have some suggestions:

Elementary Number Theory by D. Burton
Elementary Number Theory with Applications by T. Koshy
Elementary Methods in Number Theory by M. Nathanson
Introduction to Analytic Number Theory by T. Apostol

If you did not yet mastered basic proof techniques, you can actually learn them with Burton and Koshy. They are very gentle books that will also teach and sharpen your proof skills.

Nathanson is not quite gentle as it assumes you have elementary knowledge in the advanced calculus, but you can learn the necessary concepts as you read (he also teaches you some basics like Fourier analysis). He covers basics of elementary number theory, followed by good overview of the analytic number theory (mostly multiplicative). After reading his book, you can actually jump to his two-volume set in the additive number theory, which covers Goldbach Conjecture and Waring Theorem.

Apostol is not quite gentle either but you could learn first few chapters well.

bacte2013 said:
If you do not have strong background in calculus, then Hardy/Wright is definitely not a suitable book for you; in order to read it, you need to have a strong grasp of the advanced calculus and some knowledge from complex analysis. If you would like gentler books, then I have some suggestions:

Elementary Number Theory by D. Burton
Elementary Number Theory with Applications by T. Koshy
Elementary Methods in Number Theory by M. Nathanson
Introduction to Analytic Number Theory by T. Apostol

If you did not yet mastered basic proof techniques, you can actually learn them with Burton and Koshy. They are very gentle books that will also teach and sharpen your proof skills.

Nathanson is not quite gentle as it assumes you have elementary knowledge in the advanced calculus, but you can learn the necessary concepts as you read (he also teaches you some basics like Fourier analysis). He covers basics of elementary number theory, followed by good overview of the analytic number theory (mostly multiplicative). After reading his book, you can actually jump to his two-volume set in the additive number theory, which covers Goldbach Conjecture and Waring Theorem.

Apostol is not quite gentle either but you could learn first few chapters well.
No wonder I found it hard for me to read the Hardys book even just for the first few pages .I think I will give D .Burton a try , thanks anyway !

1. Is Introduction to Theory of Numbers by Hardy suitable for beginners?

Yes, Hardy's Introduction to Theory of Numbers is considered to be a great textbook for beginners. It starts with the basics and gradually builds up to more complex topics, making it accessible for students with little to no prior knowledge in number theory.

2. What makes Introduction to Theory of Numbers by Hardy a good textbook?

Hardy's Introduction to Theory of Numbers is highly praised for its clear and concise explanations, as well as its comprehensive coverage of fundamental topics in number theory. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to help readers understand and apply the concepts.

3. Are there any prerequisites for reading Introduction to Theory of Numbers by Hardy?

While it is not necessary to have a strong background in mathematics, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of algebra and number systems before reading Hardy's Introduction to Theory of Numbers.

4. Is Introduction to Theory of Numbers by Hardy still relevant today?

Yes, despite being first published in 1938, Hardy's Introduction to Theory of Numbers is still considered to be a classic and highly relevant textbook in number theory. The concepts and theories discussed in the book are still widely used and studied in modern mathematics.

5. Can Introduction to Theory of Numbers by Hardy be used as a reference book?

Yes, many mathematicians and students use Hardy's Introduction to Theory of Numbers as a reference book due to its comprehensive coverage and clear explanations. It is also a great resource for practicing and mastering concepts in number theory.