2BH3(g)->B2H6(g) reaction help

• Thread starter howareyoutoday
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation is discussing the spontaneity of the reaction 2BH3(g) -> B2H6(g) and whether it is always non-spontaneous, always spontaneous, or sometimes spontaneous and sometimes not. The speaker mentions that the ΔSsystem is negative, indicating a decrease in gas molecules, but there is another quantity that needs to be calculated to determine the spontaneity of the reaction. They also mention that they cannot use any outside resources and speculate that the reaction may be exothermic due to the formation of new bonds. However, they acknowledge the complexity of diborane and suggest looking up the heats of formation for confirmation.
howareyoutoday
2BH3(g)->B2H6(g)

Which is true?
a)The reaction is always non spontaneous.
b) The reaction is always spontaneous.
c) The reaction is sometimes spontaneous and sometimes not.
d)The reaction is endothermic.
e) two of the statements are right.

I know that deltaSsystem is negative. (Less gas molecules formed)
How do I do the rest?!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track thinking about the ΔS of the reaction. But there is another quantity, related to ΔS that tells you whether a reaction is spontaneous or not. What is that quantity and what other information do you need to calculate it?

We cannot have access to these ressources in exams. We should do it without references. Can we say for sure that the reaction is exothermic since the reaction is a synthesis reaction?

If I had to guess, I would guess the reaction would be exothermic because it involves forming new bonds (almost always exothermic) without having to break any existing bonds. However, diborane is a sufficiently weird compound that I would not trust that inutition without looking up the heats of formation.

What is the chemical equation for the reaction between 2BH3(g) and B2H6(g)?

The chemical equation for this reaction is 2BH3(g) -> B2H6(g).

What is the molar mass of B2H6(g)?

The molar mass of B2H6(g) is approximately 27.67 g/mol.

Is the reaction between 2BH3(g) and B2H6(g) exothermic or endothermic?

The reaction between 2BH3(g) and B2H6(g) is exothermic, meaning it releases energy in the form of heat.

What are the products of the reaction between 2BH3(g) and B2H6(g)?

The products of this reaction are B2H6(g).

What are some potential applications of the 2BH3(g) -> B2H6(g) reaction?

This reaction is commonly used in the production of boron-based compounds, such as boron nitride and boron carbide. It is also used in the production of high-purity boron, which is used in semiconductor and nuclear technology.