0-60mph back down to 0 = X feet

• Thread starter sapple
  • Start date
In summary, the Cayman can go 60mph to 0 in 88 ft/sec. and can cover a distance of 294 ft at the average speed.
sapple
Acceleration... HELP! ASAP

I am going to court tomorrow for a trafic citation and need to figure out the following

0-60mph back down to 0 = X feet

information i have:

0-60 = 6.7 sec

60-0 = 112 ft

Physics news on Phys.org
As I see it, your calculation depends on the coefficient of friction for your tires, which varies widely for peeling out and skidding vs "normal" driving. I am not a lawyer, but I believe such a calculation is not easily proven. Perhaps if you take the limiting case of the static(?) coefficient of friction for the maximum acceleration allowed, at least you might argue against reckless driving (peeling out or skidding). Also, in that case, the equality of maximum acceleration and deceleration would yield tacc=tdec for elapsed time and Xacc=Xdec for distance covered. If you have skid marks, you must know the kinetic(?) coefficient of friction for your tires, which can have substantial wiggle room, although the police may have standard calculations for determining infractions.

Last edited:
holy sH#T, I should have mentioned that am i am only 17 and struggling to pass my alg trig class. I think i under stood two words!

Also the take off was normal, no burn out/ wheel spin

Last edited:
Assuming constant and equal acceleration from zero to sixty and equal deceleration from sixty to zero

a=2X/t2=86.5 ft/s2

Whether this acceleration/deceleration is reckless, ask the experts - the police! There is no definite "acceleration limit" that I know of.

this is what i got from a friend
From Road & Track Cayman test (Jan. 07) the base Caymn goes 60mph to 0 in 110ft.

60 Mph = 88 ft/sec. figure 1/2 sec for reaction time = 44 ft. so we are up to 154 ft.

Now for the acceleration. Assume that it is constant so velocity v(t) = (88.0/6.7) * t

So the distance is d(t) = ((88.0/6.7) * t * t )/2 at t= 6.7 sec. d = 44.0 * 6.7 = 294 ft.

Another way to think of this is that the average velocity is half of the max velocity = 88.0 / 2 = 44 ft/sec. then the distance is 44.0 * 6.7 – same answer as the integration of the velocity equation.

So we get 294 + 154 = 448 ft. total

i need to figure out away to make my distance>500ft

1. How is the distance of X feet calculated for 0-60mph back down to 0?

The distance of X feet is calculated by measuring the total distance traveled from 0 to 60 mph and then back down to 0. This includes the distance covered during acceleration and deceleration.

2. What factors affect the distance of X feet for 0-60mph back down to 0?

The distance of X feet can be affected by various factors such as the weight and aerodynamics of the vehicle, the type and condition of the tires, and the road surface.

3. Is there a standard distance for X feet for 0-60mph back down to 0?

No, there is no standard distance for X feet for 0-60mph back down to 0 as it can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. However, certain performance cars may have a shorter distance compared to regular cars.

4. Can the distance of X feet be improved or reduced?

Yes, the distance of X feet can be improved by optimizing the factors that affect it, such as using lighter materials for the vehicle and improving its aerodynamics. It can also be reduced by adding weight to the vehicle or driving on a rougher road surface.

5. How does the distance of X feet for 0-60mph back down to 0 relate to a vehicle's braking distance?

The distance of X feet is a part of the overall braking distance for a vehicle. It represents the distance covered during the deceleration phase from 60 mph back down to 0. The total braking distance also includes the distance covered during the reaction time of the driver and the time it takes for the brakes to engage.