Explaining the Equation: ½ mu2 = ½ mv2 + ½ ms2

• Thread starter Disputationem
  • Start date
In summary, the equation ½ mu^2 = ½ mv^2 + ½ ms^2 is derived from the conservation of energy and momentum in a collision between two particles. The term "½ ms^2" represents the kinetic energy of the second particle after the collision, while 's' represents its speed. This equation can also be seen as a statement of the Pythagorean theorem if the departing velocities are at right angles to each other. It is not affected by other sources of energy, such as an explosion, as these are not externally applied forces.
Disputationem
Homework Statement
I have no idea how this equation (½ mu^2 = ½ mv^2 + ½ ms^2 ) came to be. I understand that work done is equal to final kinetic energy minus initial (w = KE_v - KE_u) but I have no idea how the "1/2 ms^2" portion came to be. Is there anyone that can help me on explaining why the equation is in this manner?
Relevant Equations
½ mu^2 = ½ mv^2 + ½ ms^2 , w = KE_v - KE_u.
My attempt is that I think that, since the equation was derived in an interaction between particles (proving that the angle between the subsequent paths of both particles must be 90 degrees), that acceleration (in m/s^2) is basically negligable since it is so small that it could be rounded off to 0. However, I'm unsure about the validity of this theory, so I would like an explanation for why ½ mu2 = ½ mv2 + ½ ms2 is the way it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
May I understand your case that energy and velocity of the body we are watching is before collision
[tex]KE_u=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]
and after collision
[tex]KE_v=\frac{1}{2}mu^2[/tex]
and s is speed of another body of same mass that I assume it has been at still but starts moving collided by the body mentioned above ?

The final terms
Disputationem said:
Homework Statement:: I have no idea how this equation (½ mu^2 = ½ mv^2 + ½ ms^2 ) came to be. I understand that work done is equal to final kinetic energy minus initial (w = KE_v - KE_u) but I have no idea how the "1/2 ms^2" portion came to be. Is there anyone that can help me on explaining why the equation is in this manner?
Relevant Equations:: ½ mu^2 = ½ mv^2 + ½ ms^2 , w = KE_v - KE_u.

My attempt is that I think that, since the equation was derived in an interaction between particles (proving that the angle between the subsequent paths of both particles must be 90 degrees), that acceleration (in m/s^2) is basically negligable since it is so small that it could be rounded off to 0. However, I'm unsure about the validity of this theory, so I would like an explanation for why ½ mu2 = ½ mv2 + ½ ms2 is the way it is.
Aplologies if I'm wrong, but from your wording, it seems like you believe the term "½ ms^2” is a value of acceleration. (a=0.5 m/s²).

This would not make sense because you can’t add an acceleration to an energy.

To make sense, ‘s’ needs to be the symbol for the speed of some object. (It's a bad choice of a symbol for speed though!)

For example, the equation would be valid in this situation:

Particle A (mass m, speed u) collides elastically with particle B (mass m, stationary). After the collision A's speed is v and B’s speed is s.

Since kinetic energy is conserved in elastic collisions:
½mu² = ½mv² + ½ms²

Likes Disputationem
[moved my response here from the other thread]
Disputationem said:
I never understood why the equation was ½ mu2 = ½ mv2 + ½ ms2 in the first place. I understand the mu and mv portion, but I don't quite understand the ms part of the equation. What is it derived from?
The equation comes from conservation of energy. ##u## is the initial velocity of the incoming proton. The initial velocity of the other proton is zero. So the total kinetic energy is ##\frac{1}{2}mu^2##.

[In the other thread, context is supplied. This is an elastic impact of an arriving proton with an equally massive proton that begins at rest]

After the collision, the incoming proton moves away with velocity ##v## and the other proton moves away with velocity ##s##. So the total kinetic energy is ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}ms^2##.

By conservation of energy, initial energy is equal to final energy so ##\frac{1}{2}mu^2=\frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}ms^2##.The equation also looks very much like a statement of the Pythagorean theorem.

If one looks at conservation of momentum then the momentum of the incoming proton ##m\vec{u}## must be equal to the sum of the momenta of the two departing protons, ##m\vec{v} + m\vec{s}##. We can divide out the ##m## and get ##\vec{u}=\vec{v} + \vec{s}##.

If the two departing protons move away at right angles to one another then the magnitude of the vector sum is given by the Pythagorean theorem so that ##|\vec{u}|^2=|\vec{v}|^2+|\vec{s}|^2##. One can multiply by ##\frac{1}{2}m## to recover the original equation: ##\frac{1}{2}mu^2=\frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}ms^2## and all is well.

Conversely, if the departing velocities do not have the Pythagorean relationship with the arrival velocity then the angle between the departure velocities will not be a right angle.

Likes Disputationem
Looks like you tried to say that in a collision the sum of k.e. before the collision = sum of k.e. after.
But you have to add other sources of energy in addition to k.e.
Say a bomb goes off at the collision.. Obviously, k.e. before collision ##\neq## k.e. after collision:
k.e. after = k.e before + energy of explosion going to k.e.

Note that conservation of momentum is not affected by the explosion since the explosion is not an externally applied force.

Steve4Physics said:
The final terms

Aplologies if I'm wrong, but from your wording, it seems like you believe the term "½ ms^2” is a value of acceleration. (a=0.5 m/s²).

This would not make sense because you can’t add an acceleration to an energy.

To make sense, ‘s’ needs to be the symbol for the speed of some object. (It's a bad choice of a symbol for speed though!)

For example, the equation would be valid in this situation:

Particle A (mass m, speed u) collides elastically with particle B (mass m, stationary). After the collision A's speed is v and B’s speed is s.

Since kinetic energy is conserved in elastic collisions:
½mu² = ½mv² + ½ms2
Steve4Physics said:
Thank you so much! I was so confused about why they were mentioning displacement instead of acceleration all of a sudden and now I know!

jbriggs444 said:
[moved my response here from the other thread]

The equation comes from conservation of energy. ##u## is the initial velocity of the incoming proton. The initial velocity of the other proton is zero. So the total kinetic energy is ##\frac{1}{2}mu^2##.

[In the other thread, context is supplied. This is an elastic impact of an arriving proton with an equally massive proton that begins at rest]

After the collision, the incoming proton moves away with velocity ##v## and the other proton moves away with velocity ##s##. So the total kinetic energy is ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}ms^2##.

By conservation of energy, initial energy is equal to final energy so ##\frac{1}{2}mu^2=\frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}ms^2##.The equation also looks very much like a statement of the Pythagorean theorem.

If one looks at conservation of momentum then the momentum of the incoming proton ##m\vec{u}## must be equal to the sum of the momenta of the two departing protons, ##m\vec{v} + m\vec{s}##. We can divide out the ##m## and get ##\vec{u}=\vec{v} + \vec{s}##.

If the two departing protons move away at right angles to one another then the magnitude of the vector sum is given by the Pythagorean theorem so that ##|\vec{u}|^2=|\vec{v}|^2+|\vec{s}|^2##. One can multiply by ##\frac{1}{2}m## to recover the original equation: ##\frac{1}{2}mu^2=\frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}ms^2## and all is well.

Conversely, if the departing velocities do not have the Pythagorean relationship with the arrival velocity then the angle between the departure velocities will not be a right angle.
Your reply is complex but it makes a bundle of sense! Thanks a mil!

1. What is the meaning of the equation ½ mu2 = ½ mv2 + ½ ms2?

The equation ½ mu2 = ½ mv2 + ½ ms2 is known as the conservation of energy equation. It represents the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. What do the variables in the equation represent?

The variable "m" represents the mass of an object, "u" represents the initial velocity of the object, "v" represents the final velocity of the object, and "s" represents the distance traveled by the object.

3. How is this equation used in physics?

This equation is used in physics to calculate the energy of a system before and after a change has occurred. It can also be used to determine the velocity of an object based on its mass and distance traveled.

4. Is this equation applicable to all types of energy?

Yes, this equation is applicable to all types of energy, including kinetic, potential, thermal, and electric energy. It is a fundamental principle in physics that applies to all forms of energy.

5. Can this equation be simplified or rearranged?

Yes, this equation can be simplified by dividing both sides by ½ to get mu2 = mv2 + ms2. It can also be rearranged to solve for different variables, such as mass, velocity, or distance.