1.5 Gigapixel image of Machu Picchu

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation is about a website where someone created a stitched together image of Sydney at night using 404 individual frames from a camera. The conversation also mentions a photography contest and a photographer who uses a Canon 100-400 lens with image stabilization. The conversation also briefly touches on the idea of creating high resolution images with programs like Google Earth.
neutrino
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, that was stitched together out of 404 individual frames from a Canon 10D, so even if you had taken the photos, ZZ's "no Photoshopping" rule could be a bit of a problem. Awesome result, though. The Canon 100-400 lens has image stabilization and people are getting some fantastic results with it. Check this guy's photos (especially the action shots of raptors!) He goes by the name of Nighthound on the ODS site and he is a very talented photographer.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y67/Nighthd/

That is very nice, I'm waiting for the day Google Earth type programs get resolution like this, now that would be fun :smile:

Since he took over an hour to take the frames, and tourists tend to wander, some of the people in the pictures should appear multiple times. It makes me kind of nauseous to pan the image, though, so I gave up on that project.

Ha ha! see the guy taking a whizz in the corner?

1. What is a 1.5 Gigapixel image of Machu Picchu?

A 1.5 Gigapixel image of Machu Picchu is a panoramic photograph that has a resolution of 1.5 billion pixels, making it extremely high quality and detailed. It captures the entire Machu Picchu site in one image, allowing viewers to zoom in and see small details without losing image quality.

2. How was this image of Machu Picchu created?

This image was created by stitching together hundreds or even thousands of individual photographs taken with a high-resolution camera. These photographs are then merged using specialized software to create one large panoramic image.

3. Why is a 1.5 Gigapixel image of Machu Picchu significant?

A 1.5 Gigapixel image of Machu Picchu allows viewers to see the site in incredible detail, even from a distance. It also serves as a valuable tool for researchers and scientists to study the site and its features in great detail.

4. Can I use this image for my own purposes?

It depends on the copyright and usage rights of the image. Some 1.5 Gigapixel images of Machu Picchu may be freely available for personal or educational use, while others may require permission or a license for commercial use.

5. Are there any other 1.5 Gigapixel images of famous landmarks or sites?

Yes, there are many other 1.5 Gigapixel images of famous landmarks and sites around the world. Some examples include the Great Barrier Reef, the Grand Canyon, and the Taj Mahal. These images allow for a unique and detailed view of these iconic locations.