1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1.7 Proof Methods and Strategy

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1
    1. Prove or disprove that if a and b are rational numbers, then a^b is also rational??

PLEASE HELP......

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2008 #2
    well, you can easily find a counter example...

let

[tex] b=\frac{1}{2}; a=2=> a^b=2^{\frac{1}{2}}=\sqrt{2}[/tex]

But we know that [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is not rational. Or if you don't want to take this for

granted, then all you have to do is prove that [tex] \sqrt{2}[/tex] isn't rational.

Or are you asked to do this differently, like in a more general form?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  4. Sep 21, 2008 #3
    I really don't know..but if u can do it in general form that would be great.

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4
    Well, usually it is sufficient to find a counterexample to show that something does not hold in general.

because in your case you can think of it this way: let

[tex]c=\frac{x_1}{x_2}, b=\frac{y_1}{y_2}, x_1, x_2, y_1,y_2 \in Z^+[/tex] I am first working only with positive integers, but if u want to prove for any integer, then you have to work in cases.

Also, let [tex] gcd(x_1,x_2)=gcd(y_1,y_2)=1[/tex] Now,

[tex]c= a^b=(a)^{\frac{y_1}{y_2}}[/tex] Now we want to show that c is irrational. Lets suppose the contrary, suppose that c is rational so we can rewrite c as:

[tex] c=\frac{x_1}{x_2}, gcd(x_1,x_2)=1[/tex] This way:

[tex]\frac{x_1}{x_2}=(a)^{\frac{y_1}{y_2}}=>(\frac{x_1}{x_2})^{y_2}=a^{y_1}=>(x_1)^{y_2}=a^{y_1}(x_2)^{y_2}[/tex] so we notice that

[tex] (x_1)^{y_2}\in a^{y_1}Z[/tex] now we want to know what happenes with x_1.

Suppose that x_1 is not in [tex] a^{y_1}Z[/tex] So, this means that

[tex] x_1 \in m+ a^{y_1}Z[/tex] for [tex] m=1,2,.....,a^{y_1}-1[/tex] Now let m =1, for our case, so

[tex] x_1=1+a^{y_1}=>(x_1)^{y_2}=(1+ka^{y_1})^{y_2}[/tex] we notice that when we expand the RHS all terms besides the first one will have an [tex] a^{y_1}[/tex] so we can factor this one out, which means that also

[tex](x_1)^{y_2} \in m+ a^{y_1}Z[/tex] which is not true, so the contradition derived means that
    [tex]x_1\in a^{y_1}Z=>x_1=a^{y_1}k, k \in Z [/tex]

Now,

[tex](x_1)^{y_2}=a^{y_1}(x_2)^{y_ 2}=>(a^{y_1}k)^{y_2}=a^{y_1}(x_2)^{y_ 2}=>(x_2)^{y_2}=a^{y_1(y_2-1}}k^{y_2}[/tex]

By doing the same reasoning we come to the point where

[tex]x_1=a^rk_1,x_2=a^rk_2, =>gcd(x_1,x_2)=a^r[/tex] which contradicts the fact that [tex] gcd(x_1,x_2)=1[/tex] this way we have proved that

[tex]c= a^b=(a)^{\frac{y_1}{y_2}}[/tex]
    cannot be rational.

Indeed it can be rational only if [tex] y_2|y_1=> y_1=ky_2, k \in Z[/tex]

6. Sep 21, 2008 #5
    I don't know whether what i did above makes sens to you, but in any case if i were you, i would take the counterexample as a means of showing that in general a^b, cannot be rational.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?