1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1-d kinematics food fight in space

1. Jan 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Having aced your Physics 2111 class, you get a sweet summer-job working in the International Space Station. Your room-mate, Cosmonaut Valdimir tosses a banana at you at a speed of 14.0 m/s. At exactly the same instant, you fling a scoop of ice cream at Valdimir along exactly the same path. The collision between banana and ice cream produces a banana split 6.0 m from your location 1.3 s after the banana and ice cream were launched.

1) How fast did you toss the ice cream? 4.6153 m/s

2) How far were you from Valdimir when you tossed the ice cream?

2. Relevant equations
    v = v_0 + a t
    x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2
    v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt at the solution is in the pdf file.
    I am having trouble with question 2. I calculated the acceleration of the banana by dividing the initial velocity by the time, then plug it in x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2. With t = 1.3s, v_0 = 14 m/s, and a = -10.7692 m/s^2.
    My delta x = 9.1
    I then added the 6m + 9.1m = 15.1m, but the automated homework system says the the answer is incorrect.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello tri5. Welcome to PF!

The speed of 14.0 m/s for the banana is the speed it left your room-mate's hand. Once it leaves the hand, does it have any acceleration?

4. Jan 25, 2013 #3
    No the banana does not have any acceleration. I ended up multiplying the velocity of the banana by the elapsed time, which gave me the distance it traveled. Then adding that answer to 6m gave me the correct answer. Thanks for your help!

5. Jan 26, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good work!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook